DPF Question

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
that was my understanding...I was hoping to eliminate the entire DPF system and EGR but that seems "unobtanium" ( market must be so small and infantile that it isn't being served by some young inventive chap yet)
Push for that warranty! The dealer won't bring it up if you don't.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Push for that warranty! The dealer won't bring it up if you don't.
is the warranty transferable to "new" owners ?
its a 2016 model and I really wasn't expecting Kubota to honor it. Do you think there is a real expectation of Kubota completing warranty work on a 2016 model?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
its a 2016 model and I really wasn't expecting Kubota to honor it. Do you think there is a real expectation of Kubota completing warranty work on a 2016 model?
Yes, I think they will honor it! You could raise quite a stink if they don't!! Kubota warranty is transferable but sometimes auction buys can be troublesome. Emissions warranty is different than standard warranty, they promised the government that the tractor would perform emissions wise for 5 years, they have to honor it. The 5 years is government mandated. Of course they have a caveat about how well the tractor was maintained but that is hard for them to make stick. Threaten to get the government and the media involved if they balk! Kubota can afford this better than you can. You will have the best luck at the dealership that originally sold the tractor.

Last edited:

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
lots of great info above. thank you so much. I can't believe Kubota would consider it but wth...its worth a try.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
lots of great info above. thank you so much. I can't believe Kubota would consider it but wth...its worth a try.
figured I'd post a quick update:
3901 is at shop in the bay and waiting for the DPF Screen to return from "baking". I'll consider that "good news" as it didn't need "replacing" yet.
I spoke with the Technician who let me know, with this series they "Start backwards"....make sure the filter is clean, then work their way back to the switches all along checking for "faults" if there is any.
Keep up the good work gentlemen.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
figured I'd post a quick update:
3901 is at shop in the bay and waiting for the DPF Screen to return from "baking". I'll consider that "good news" as it didn't need "replacing" yet.
I spoke with the Technician who let me know, with this series they "Start backwards"....make sure the filter is clean, then work their way back to the switches all along checking for "faults" if there is any.
Keep up the good work gentlemen.
when we dropped it off it was "beeping" and the shop guys said..." well that's good" at least we know THAT is working" . they said "you should see the way these things come in sometimes...." makes you wonder if this whole TIER 4 thing is worth the effort. And what is it really accomplishing ?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
that was my understanding...I was hoping to eliminate the entire DPF system and EGR but that seems "unobtanium" ( market must be so small and infantile that it isn't being served by some young inventive chap yet)
Yes.

The market is too small and the risks are too great.

I would not expect such in the future.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yes. As a 2016 model, it is within the emissions system warranty and Kubota will honor it absent abuse.

Note: Kubota will honor the warranty does not mean that all dealers will cooperate.

SDT

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
How many hours do you think the DPF's usage adds to a tractor? I was reading that they no longer want you to do "easy on the throttle" warm ups. How does this effect the motor over the life?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:...
makes you wonder if this whole TIER 4 thing is worth the effort. And what is it really accomplishing ?

..making MONEY !!!! some are becoming millionaires thanks to Tier4 !

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
makes you wonder if this whole TIER 4 thing is worth the effort. And what is it really accomplishing ?

The service dept gets paid the same and the "grief:happy customers " ratio would be better....now the dpf filter producers....maybe.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
How many hours do you think the DPF's usage adds to a tractor? I was reading that they no longer want you to do "easy on the throttle" warm ups. How does this effect the motor over the life?
Kinda related story....when we rented airplanes we Ran them slow if they were "tach" times and not if they were "hobbs" recorded. Hobbs is electric current based and tach was rpm based (if I remember correctly) these tractors are all tach based so....
Where it might effect "wear" is if you shut it off instead of rev it higher during "low impact" usage

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Bingo, Jay!

It's utter nonsense.

Fortunately, there is a new sheriff in town, and hope is on the horizon.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Kinda related story....when we rented airplanes we Ran them slow if they were "tach" times and not if they were "hobbs" recorded. Hobbs is electric current based and tach was rpm based (if I remember correctly) these tractors are all tach based so....
Where it might effect "wear" is if you shut it off instead of rev it higher during "low impact" usage
Bingo, Angelo.

There is a difference between elapsed time and revolutions.

SDT

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Yes. As a 2016 model, it is within the emissions system warranty and Kubota will honor it absent abuse.

Note: Kubota will honor the warranty does not mean that all dealers will cooperate.

SDT
Has anyone gotten something as basic as a "DPF" bake off covered by warranty ? Seems that would fall under "misuse" if it got to that point ?

Yes, Ive been reading some nightmarish "dealer/warranty" issues. Our Dealer lives in the neighborhood and is part of the community....can't see anybody trying anything silly where he "lives" :)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
'bakeoff'..... Sounds like you are baking brownies.:)

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Angelo c, for your reading, following is link to Kubota DPF Workshop manual of DPF: CLICK HERE