Boosted my hydro pressure. BX23S

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hi guys - Can someone who knows tell me where to plug in the pressure gauge on the BX2200? I got that version from BXExpanded, but the instructions aren't great.

I am trying to make sure I plug the gauge into the proper port, and do I disconnect all the others? I think there are three? I only have the FEL running off the hydraulics and just don't want to blow anything up accidentally while checking the pressure.

Thanks! Bonus points if you've got photos, because I've been accused of being kinda stoopid before sometimes :D
You can use any one of the 4 lines used on your loader valve. Just unplug one of them and connect the gauge to the loader valve. You will have to see which loader function will be disabled by the gauge. Your manual should also tell you which color coded loader line controls which function if you want to use a specific function.

Start the tractor and slowly move the loader valve until you see some pressure build on the gauge (don't slam the the gauge with pressure). Increase to full rpm, then cycle the valve to read your max pressure.

Two videos here may help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ij1zmrtOug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu1pRUvzvwI

Last edited:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
You the man! Thanks! I just wasn't sure if one of the ports was "correct", I'll just pick one! I'm excited to see what the pressure is on this fairly old, ~1500 hour machine.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Am I just really really numb? What am I missing here? None of the connections match up with the gauge, do I need an adaptor and where might I find one?

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Am I just really really numb? What am I missing here? None of the connections match up with the gauge, do I need an adaptor and where might I find one?
To expand, the gauge has what might be considered a "flat face" (I'm not really sure). The hose plug on the tractor has what I'd call a "nipple", and it plugs into a "socket". I tried to upload pics but they failed from my phone.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
you'll need a "pioneer" coupler. Or, very simply...use the coupler from the loader valve hose that you disconnect. Put it on the gauge, then replace when done...

edit- swap them for the pressure test. You need a fitting on the hose end that you remove from the loader valve. Just wanted to make certain that you understand that part....or you'll be shooting oil everywhere.

1) decide which loader circuit (hose) you want to use. use the one that's easiest to get to.
2) relieve system pressure by moving loader control lever in all directions
3) disconnect the hose you want to use.
4) swap out fittings (take the fitting off of the loader valve hose and gauge). swap them so that the gauge now has the pioneer coupler from the loader hose...and the loader hose now has the flat faced coupler that came on the gauge.
5) set the loader valve hose to the side and run your test. You should be doing the test with the tractor/hydro fluid already warm.

make sense?

:D

Last edited:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
you'll need a "pioneer" coupler. Or, very simply...use the coupler from the loader valve hose that you disconnect. Put it on the gauge, then replace when done...

edit- swap them for the pressure test. You need a fitting on the hose end that you remove from the loader valve. Just wanted to make certain that you understand that part....or you'll be shooting oil everywhere.

1) decide which loader circuit (hose) you want to use. use the one that's easiest to get to.
2) relieve system pressure by moving loader control lever in all directions
3) disconnect the hose you want to use.
4) swap out fittings (take the fitting off of the loader valve hose and gauge). swap them so that the gauge now has the pioneer coupler from the loader hose...and the loader hose now has the flat faced coupler that came on the gauge.
5) set the loader valve hose to the side and run your test. You should be doing the test with the tractor/hydro fluid already warm.

make sense?

:D
Ah, thank you helpful friend! Is there any trick to swapping the fittings? I was hesitant because I didn't want to spray fluid everywhere, or reinstall incorrectly.

I'm also now curious if there is any benefit to putting a "t" in one of the fittings, and mounting the gauge permanently? That way if pressure started dropping again for whatever reason I could monitor it.... or is that a silly idea?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ah, thank you helpful friend! Is there any trick to swapping the fittings? I was hesitant because I didn't want to spray fluid everywhere, or reinstall incorrectly.

I'm also now curious if there is any benefit to putting a "t" in one of the fittings, and mounting the gauge permanently? That way if pressure started dropping again for whatever reason I could monitor it.... or is that a silly idea?
No trick, other than using two wrenches. You'll need to turn them towards each other to break the connection..they are usually pretty tight. After equalizing the pressure as I mentioned above (moving the loader control around with machine not running) you may want to put a rag over the fitting connection before attempting to loosen them. If there is still any residual pressure in the system, it can shoot oil into your face. Just be careful, and think about what you are doing. Do not use teflon tape on the hydro fitting threads.

I would not add a "Tee" to keep the gauge connected. This should be a once and done job. Adding a Tee just creates another potential weak point in your system.

Are you just checking the pressure, or do you have the necessary shims to adjust the pressure if needed?

Please don't take offense, but it sounds like you're a bit inexperienced ...don't want you to get hurt or cause damage to your machine. I would suggest reviewing a few more youtube videos before you try it.

here are a few other videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIzw4MB3wQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HEKPM24mMs

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Oh no offense taken at all, I'm definitely new at tractors and working on (not with) hydraulics. I've checked out those and most all of the videos I could find, the confusing part for me was most of the stuff I saw was for newer tractors with a different setup than the BX2200, or they used a BX2200 and didn't describe the fittings and such. I think I've got it squared away now though hopefully, just need a few minutes of time!

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I know I'm inexperienced but damn, this stuff seems more complicated than it needs to be!

I bought a 1/4" Pioneer coupling set at Tractor Supply (part number VP4000-2P) which of course doesn't come close to fitting the fittings on my BX. If and when I finally get a correct parts list together to construct a hydraulic pressure gauge for the BX2200 I'll be sure to post it for other wayward souls like me!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
were you not able to switch the couplers? maybe I'm missing something but I would think the BX2200 would be the same setup as the old BX23. You should just be able to pop off a loader hose, take the fitting off of it and put that same fitting on your gauge? Take the fitting from the gauge and put that on the disconnected hose (to dead head it while you have the gauge connected to the port).

I sure hope that I didn't confuse you. Sometimes, it's difficult to convey in writing...

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
It's been several years , but I don't remember haveing all those problems on my bx22. best I can remember, there's a pressure port on the back left of the tractor that the guage just screwed into.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
were you not able to switch the couplers? maybe I'm missing something but I would think the BX2200 would be the same setup as the old BX23. You should just be able to pop off a loader hose, take the fitting off of it and put that same fitting on your gauge? Take the fitting from the gauge and put that on the disconnected hose (to dead head it while you have the gauge connected to the port).

I sure hope that I didn't confuse you. Sometimes, it's difficult to convey in writing...
Nope sorry I should've clarified, I was trying to find the correct coupler so I could have a permanently ready gauge setup for future pressure checking as time goes on, to avoid constantly swapping the fitting. I think I'm going to just do what you suggested and swap it onto the gauge for this though, given my apparent difficulty in finding the exact parts I need...

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
LC207, here is what you need.

https://www.messicks.com/part/7j612-66323/coupler-1-4-hn

I just adjusted the pressure on my BX2230, and I bought one of these couplers from Messicks, an 18 inch long 1/4" hydraulic hose and a 3,000 PSI glycerin filled gauge off Amazon, put them together and it worked great.

I just disconnected the top line on the loader and used that port.
If you take the coupler off one of the hoses, PUT A CAP ON IT, or you could get a hydraulic oil bath.

If you're not clear on this, I can get a picture of the setup tomorrow and post it.

Reactions: 1 user