3-Point core aerator?

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Just a follow up for those interested.

I received my Land pride CA1564 two weeks ago but didn't have time to try it until yesterday. Was snowing and/or raining the whole time I was using it so I didn't get any pictures. Ended up with 300 pounds of sandbags on it to get the desired depth of coring. We have very hard gray clay soil. Was very pleased with the results. Ground in now to cold to overseed so I will aerate again in the spring and then overseed. Pulling it is absolutely no issue. The only problem I could ever foresee would be if one were to weight the aerator heavily enough to make it difficult to lift. I did run with my suitcase weights on the front to make steering more positive when the unit was lifted up.

Also, my brother was looking for an aerator the same time I was. Told him he could use mine once I got it if his New Holland would pull it.:D He decided he would buy one for himself but he wasn't willing to part with $1400 for a Land Pride. He ended up getting one of the Field Tuff units mentioned above for about $700. This gave me the opportunity to compare the two.

The Land Pride is...well...Landpride. Pretty much top quality all the way around. The Field Tuff is typical Chinese implement quality...lighter built and sketchy looking welds but serviceable.

The Land Pride is quick hitch compatible and the Field Tuff isn't.

The Land Pride works well. The Field Tuff works...kind of.

After watching the Field Tuff operate, it became apparent that the single most crucial element of a core aerator is the spoon (tine, knife etc.) design.

The Land Pride spoons have a slight, for lack of better term, curvature over the length of the spoon. They also have sharper edges on the "punch" end as well as having a slightly conical shape at the tips. I think this design helps the spoons eject the cores more efficiently. The Field Tuff spoons basically look like 1/2 inch gas pipe cut at an angle. Not near as sharp or contoured. These spoons tended to just plug up to the point were they were not removing cores from the soil but merely making dimples in it.

Was the Land Pride worth it? Yes.

Could the Field Tuff be made to work well? Probably. It may work fine in softer soil.

Ultimately, you pay your money and you take your chances.;)

Hope this helps someone else.
This is excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I've been kind of agonizing over the cost of the Land Pride aerator, but I think this information makes my choice much easier.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Thanks for the reviews. The reviews here confirmed the my guesses on the difference between Landpride and the Tractor Supply Field Turf. I avoid Tractor Supply stuff, I think they generally have the lowest quality of anything.

And most important, the Land Pride color matches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Thanks for the reviews. The reviews here confirmed the my guesses on the difference between Landpride and the Tractor Supply Field Turf. I avoid Tractor Supply stuff, I think they generally have the lowest quality of anything.

And most important, the Land Pride color matches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For what it is worth, my brothers Field Tuff came from Northern Tool. I presume it is the same one Tractor Supply sells though.

+1 on the color match.:D