Edge Tamers - NC 15 Inches of Snow

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Better you get the snow than us...lol Up here in Michigan snow country we have had NO snow yet. Fine with me.

Looks to me like your bucket shoes work well. Nice video.:)

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
Better you get the snow than us...lol Up here in Michigan snow country we have had NO snow yet. Fine with me.

Looks to me like your bucket shoes work well. Nice video.:)
Thank you! I was born in Saginaw and still visit there often. All to familiar with it there. ;-) North Carolina we get just enough to make it fun. :cool:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have a set of these also, they work very well. Not just for snow... they’re great for moving light material when you don’t want to dig into the lawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
I have a set of these also, they work very well. Not just for snow... they’re great for moving light material when you don’t want to dig into the lawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
As I noted in the end of the video they are great for folks like me that do not have the need for a bigger blade or snow pusher. We don't get that many snow falls in NC that would justify a $1000 spend on an implement only used a few times a year.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for sharing. I needed the 6" for my bucket so I decided to skip the $200 and just spend that on a front blade. We also get a bunch more snow that you all so it will be well used.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just got off the phone with my buddy in Wake Forrest. He said he just stayed home yesterday and today and the snow is going away pretty quickly.

We still don't have any...lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thank you! I was born in Saginaw and still visit there often. All to familiar with it there. ;-) North Carolina we get just enough to make it fun. :cool:
I was born in Key West and live here now. Think I screwed up....lol

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
I was born in Key West and live here now. Think I screwed up....lol
Yes, that was a poor life choice. :D

Just got off the phone with my buddy in Wake Forrest. He said he just stayed home yesterday and today and the snow is going away pretty quickly.

We still don't have any...lol
I am West of Winston Salem and pretty much was in the bulls' eye. Biggest I have seen in my 10 years here.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
These would be very useful for a gravel Drive but on blacktop or concrete they are a waste. They actually hurt you more than help you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm curious as well. I can see the bucket might leave a bit of snow on the ground, but so does my 10 foot power angle blade because I have the skid shoes set so the cutting edge don't peel my gravel.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
on Pavement and blacktop you can scrape snow and ice off down to bare pavement or concrete.
With the edge tamers it leaves a layer of snow or ice on the pavement or concrete.
Last year we had about 1/4 inch of ice under several inch of snow and my neighbor used his edge tamers and could remove the snow but couldn’t get the ice. He left the ice plus a 1/4 inch of snow.
I used my bucket without the tamers and went behind him and scraped up the ice and snow down to bare pavement.
He purchased the edge tamer because he was afraid he would damage his pavement but I was able too scrape down to bare pavement without damaging the pavement.
Just level the bucket with your bucket level indicator and float the loader.
After that everything I seen him doing snow removal he didn’t have the edge tamers on.

I borrowed his edge tamers to clear some gravel driveways and they worked excellent for that but they do leave a 1/4 layer of snow or ice and that will keep getting packed down into ice unless you salt.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So does my 10 foot snowplow I have on the Kubota. I keep my skid shoes set a bit off the ground so I too get a layer of snow / ice as well. Never bothered me and a little sodium chloride cures that issue.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing I would do to prolong the life of them is hard rod the bottom side where they slide.

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
on Pavement and blacktop you can scrape snow and ice off down to bare pavement or concrete.
With the edge tamers it leaves a layer of snow or ice on the pavement or concrete.
Last year we had about 1/4 inch of ice under several inch of snow and my neighbor used his edge tamers and could remove the snow but couldn’t get the ice. He left the ice plus a 1/4 inch of snow.
I used my bucket without the tamers and went behind him and scraped up the ice and snow down to bare pavement.
He purchased the edge tamer because he was afraid he would damage his pavement but I was able too scrape down to bare pavement without damaging the pavement.
Just level the bucket with your bucket level indicator and float the loader.
After that everything I seen him doing snow removal he didn’t have the edge tamers on.

I borrowed his edge tamers to clear some gravel driveways and they worked excellent for that but they do leave a 1/4 layer of snow or ice and that will keep getting packed down into ice unless you salt.
If you had watched the video I linked I address this. First I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio. I am used to a ton of snow. Now I live in NC where we get a few storms at best in the year. First I will address the ice. Ice is ice. Ice will not be scraped off by any bucket. You have to salt it if it is truly ice. Second the 1/4 inch of snow on the pavement will easily be melted by any salt or by the heat itself. It will not strand anyone with any car. Third back to where I live. It is not economical in my mind to spend money on a snow blade or other implement for how little of snow we get here. That is what the video was about, where I live and the conditions where it makes sense to have these.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
If you had watched the video I linked I address this. First I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio. I am used to a ton of snow. Now I live in NC where we get a few storms at best in the year. First I will address the ice. Ice is ice. Ice will not be scraped off by any bucket. You have to salt it if it is truly ice. Second the 1/4 inch of snow on the pavement will easily be melted by any salt or by the heat itself. It will not strand anyone with any car. Third back to where I live. It is not economical in my mind to spend money on a snow blade or other implement for how little of snow we get here. That is what the video was about, where I live and the conditions where it makes sense to have these.
Yes in Kentucky we don’t get enough snow to justify buying a plow either.
I use my bucket and rear blade.
I use the rear blade to scrape it up into a pile and the bucket to move the piles.
I thought I mentioned the salt but I must of forgot.
Yes salt will make up the layer of snow or ice the edge tamers leave behind but I am too cheap to use salt.
As far as the ice goes I have no problems scraping it up with my bucket or rear blade. Sometimes if it is thick solid ice and no sunshine and it is really cold out I do have trouble scraping it up but I usually wait for the sun to warm up the blacktop and that helps a lot.
Sometimes I have to use the rear blade to scrape down to bare pavement and that allows me to get under the ice once the blacktop warms up.

A 1/4 inch of snow or ice will leave me stranded in my ford e250 rear wheel drive with a open diff.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
So does my 10 foot snowplow I have on the Kubota. I keep my skid shoes set a bit off the ground so I too get a layer of snow / ice as well. Never bothered me and a little sodium chloride cures that issue.
A 1/4 layer of snow or ice isn’t a problem on a gravel driveway.
If you went to plow a blacktop drive you would lower your skids and scrape down to bare blacktop or would you leave a layer of snow or ice?

Everyone I see plowing blacktop professionally scrape down to bare blacktop.
I have never seen anyone purposely leave a layer of snow or ice, they scrape down to bare blacktop.