Hydraulic Return

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Greetings,

First off, A huge thank you to all the Veterans out there that fought for me to be able to be free in the greatest Country on Earth. Enjoy your holiday!
I have a M8540 I'm trying to plumb up my FEL mounted cutter. My drain port on my trans is already occupied with two lines from the loader/third function block. I hate to install in a drain plug port below the fluid level in case a hose gets ripped off or similar. I'm targeting the trans fill port since I'll be powering this thing from a rear remote anyway. Anybody know what the threads might be on that cap? Or what fitting to use to adapt? Many thanks for your time.

Byron

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I suspect that would make refilling the main case after a a filter and fluid change pretty difficult. I think if it was me, I'd pull the rear pto cover and drill and tap the casting for another drain fitting, opposite the existing one, on the same level, or higher.

The back cover comes off easily (I think yours has 12 bolts) and the PTO gears come out as a unit attached to the cover plus the cover to case mating surface is gasketless, just a smear of 3 bond is all you need and the cover locates on dowel pins for alignment, very easy to take apart and put back together again.

Just my 2 cents.

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Mr. Flip,
Are you telling me there is/might be an existing return port on that back cover.? I have been so focused on the side of the trans that I never looked at the rear cover. This might be an option! Thanks for your time sir.

Byron

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You can Tee into return lines, if that's an option for you.

Flip mentioned "drilling/tapping" your rear case cover to make a new return, he did not suggest there was one there already.
There may be one (plug) in the back case. Kubota dumps the return fluid in different places, including the back case cover, Both my tractors return to the back cover on the right side about halfway up so there may already be a plug in there if it's not used already. The return dump on mine is just above the static high fill point when the case is full on the dipstick. Plenty of room on the other side to add an additional port. Only caveat is it must be above the static full fluid level.

I refitted my 540 PTO to a 540 6 spline / 1000 21 spline dual speed pto and the new PTO came with a plug that I removed and installed the existing elbow and hooked up the return line from the loader to.

Another expensive Kubota refit. 1200 bucks.

I know what you are looking for, an unrerstricted return point. and that is it, least in my case.

I use the 1000 rpm pto at an indicated 540 (with a 21-6 adapter) to run a grain leg.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I cut into the oil cooler line for my FEL mounted cutter. It was easier than routing yet another line all the way back. Also Kubota is stingy with the information about WHERE ON MY TRACTOR I can safely return (case drain) the hydraulic oil. Seems like nobody knows where to tie in. NIW told me about the cooler line so thats what I did.

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Gents,

I cant thank you guys enough for all the info. It appears I have one "return" port on the side of my trans, but two lines already share that. Dealer and cutter mfg said maybe too much restriction. I get that. I looked the rear cover over and don't find a port or visible boss to drill. Would be kind of intimidated to drill it, but never say never. I'll check the cooler lines and see if that's doable on mine, I reckon the outlet of the cooler goes to the case anyway right? My vision entailed a fitting to replace the fill cap that would have a male quick connect with a cap, So pop a hose off, might need a wrench to loosen and add oil if needed. Might be overlooking something obvious there also. Thanks all again for the help.

Byron

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To figure out the thread of the fill hole, take the plug out and start measuring the male threads on it and look at various thread dimensions to see if you can figure it out. Or take it to a local machine shop to see if they will figure out how to make an adapter for you needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Good afternoon all,
Well, after a few dead ends and a gallon or two of wasted diesel, I think I've got my return port, or lack thereof, situation taken care of. The transmission fill port thread on my M8540 is 1"BSPP. That's British Standard Parallel Pipe thread I'm told. I have a shiny new adapter that has that on one side and 1/2' MNPT threads on the other.! It's a small but significant victory. Hopefully a few quick connect fittings and some careful hose measurements and I'll be knocking it down! Thanks again for all the input on this. I do appreciate yall's time more than you know. God Bless

Byron

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Does your BSPP adapter have a sealing washer and a shoulder to compress the washer (or a gland nut to tighten against the washer)?

Those threads don’t seal really well without a sealing washer.

Look at the filler cap and see what it used, some times it has an o-ring you may be able to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bdawg

Equipment
M8540HDC, L3240, BX2230
Aug 21, 2011
cleveland tx
Mr. King,
Sorry for the delay in this reply. The adapter did indeed come with a steel backed rubber sealing ring that compresses between the shoulder on the fitting and the machined housing around the fill port. Thread it in by hand and give it just a nudge with the channel locks and away we go.
I had to smile when I read your profile. I remember being a kid putting about half a million miles on a L185. I went everywhere on that thing when we weren't working it. Have a blessed day!

Byron