RCK60B23BX gearbox issues

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
Tractor is a BX2360 with an RCK60B23BX belly mower. The gearbox on the mower seized up last week so i took it off and took it to the local Kubota dealer. They just called and said the gearbox is cracked and that means it would cost as much as a new one to repair. It does sound as if the gears are OK. I am assuming that a bearing seized but we did not talk about that so I'll find out tomorrow when i pick it up after paying them $66 for the privilege of looking at it.

Are there any alternatives to buying a new gearbox for over $1300? Is there any source of used gearboxes that are cheaper? Any sources of a used or rebuilt case? Is it possible to weld the case and that it would last.

The tractor isn't pretty but still in good shape otherwise and I use it with a brush hog, front loader and a rear blade when the belly mower isn't being used so maybe I'll just use it for that and find a mower for the yard. But we live on Table Rock lake in SW MO and the yard is full of rocks that just can't be avoided at times which got me in this mess in the first place!

Thanks for listening.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I am certainly not a gearbox expert, but yours would be the first I've read about that had a cracked case with good internals. Perhaps some type of lateral strain placed on the case by the PTO shaft?
Personally, I would bite the bullet and put a new gearbox on. Sorry about your misfortune!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
There's an allmost new mmm on craigs list right now. Can't remember what city but I live in Nth Ga and search in this area.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
That's a great deal on that mmm but more then I can spend right now. I can finish out the mowing season with a borrowed mower and hopefully do something about the gearbox over the winter.

I will know more about the crack after i pick it up from the dealer tomorrow but the bracket on one side that holds the box to the deck was completely broken so maybe that caused the crack. If it's cracked around one of the boltholes I doubt it can be welded. We will see.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Post a picture of the case and the crack when you get it back. Depending on where it's cracked, it's possible a welding shop could repair it.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Do a CL search of Southern Illinois. There is a person in Centralia that sells decks and deck parts. Has a center gearbox for a RC60-21b for $75. Maybe same box? Get in touch maybe he has what you need. Also 4-5 decks for sale various models, $700-1200.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
I got the box back from the dealer this morning. I got to pay them $66 to tell me about a chip of metal gone around one of the bolt holes in the side for the bracket that I already knew about. It can be seen in one of the photos I attached. There are no other cracks. When I got home I took the seal out of the vertical gear and it is trashed and most likely the culprit. I think the gears and the horizontal shaft bearings are OK. If I can figure out how to remove the gears, bearing and shaft I think I can rebuild this thing myself and for a hell of a lot less than $1300!

Attachments

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
I have a RCK60-22BX complete used gearbox on a spare mower deck RCK60B-22BX that I would be willing to sell. I do not know if it is an exact fit.
I have had no issues with the gearbox just bought a new mower deck this year because the side spindle bearings I kept replacing. It is approximately 10-12 years old.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the box. Are there any tutorials or videos on how to do that? It looks to me like I need to take the horizontal shaft and bearings our first. Looks like I take out the seal and circlip and it then slides out? What if it's stuck? I can't see any way to hammer at it easily. How does the gear come off?

Any help greatly appreciated.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Just rebuilt my ZD326S gearbox. First need to remove pulley from shaft ( press fit and has a keeper) Mine has cap seals on top and one side of horizontal and rubber press seals on the opposite sides. I had to destroy rubber seals to get to inside. Remove side cap seal and there is a bolt to remove and clips on both sides if I remember right. Have a good set of pliers for clips. Mine had shims on sides and bottom so keep that in mind. The horizontal will punch out toward the drive side (PTO drive). This allows to get to clip on top of vertical shaft, remove and this allows the removal of vertical shaft. I replaced the 3 bearings and both gears and center shaft. This plus replacing seals cost ~500. Not sure yours is designed exactly like mine but this is what I ran into.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
Just rebuilt my ZD326S gearbox. First need to remove pulley from shaft ( press fit and has a keeper) Mine has cap seals on top and one side of horizontal and rubber press seals on the opposite sides. I had to destroy rubber seals to get to inside. Remove side cap seal and there is a bolt to remove and clips on both sides if I remember right. Have a good set of pliers for clips. Mine had shims on sides and bottom so keep that in mind. The horizontal will punch out toward the drive side (PTO drive). This allows to get to clip on top of vertical shaft, remove and this allows the removal of vertical shaft. I replaced the 3 bearings and both gears and center shaft. This plus replacing seals cost ~500. Not sure yours is designed exactly like mine but this is what I ran into.
Sounds similar to mine. I found the procedure in the tractor service manual which I already had on my PC. Take the seals off, remove circlip and tap the horizontal shaft and bearings out out. Then the vertical gear and bearing. I'm sure it won't be that easy though.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
My bottom seal was leaking and took me 3 times to find the culprit (bottom bearing had broke down and center shaft was wobbling). At first I wasn't sure which way to tap the horizontal shaft out but once I got it started moving toward the PTO hook up side, it came apart and went back together pretty easily. I took a lot of pictures along the way and paid attention to where all the shims went. There is a little play allowed up and down on the center shaft but not side to side. The clips hold everything in place. Removing and inserting the clips were time consuming for me but I got better at it. Well worth the time and $$ savings.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
Got it apart today before it got too hot outside. The bottom bearing is toast and one of the top bearing is noisy so those two need replaced. Both gears look great so don't have to replace those two high dollar items. But so far I have been unable to get the bearing off the lower gear. I have tried putting it in a vise and tapping on it with a socket and hammer with no luck. I'm afraid to hit it too hard because I don't want to harm the gear. I sprayed the heck out of it with PB Blaster and will try again in the morning. If that doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions short of finding someone with a bearing press?

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Been awhile from last box rebuild: doesn't this bearing but up to a low boss and retained with a cir-clip? Clip removed and pushing in right direction? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
Also, heat is your friend with stuck bearings. Push while hot.

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
Took it to a local guy who got the bearing off for me. He tried to press it off which only broke the bearing leaving the inner part of the bearing on the shaft. Then as I watched and my heart rate went way up he used a torch to cut it off without harming the expensive gear at all!

And he did it for free because about 3 years ago we towed them in when their boat broke down on the lake - we live on Table Rock Lake in SW Missouri.

Now I need to order the parts and put this thing back together.

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Another thing that I didn’t know about these gearboxes is that they have a vent plug on the top. You may already be aware of that but just in case you didn’t. I take mine off from time to time and clear the orifices out like I would a carburetor they do get dirt build up around the plug. Mine is located on top other side a fill plug.