Water in Hydraulic Fluid

Hman0217

Equipment
Kubota l3901 hst
Aug 12, 2021
Catskill, ny
Hi guys hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread but I have a similar situation. Total bonehead move on my part, as I had a pail of hydraulic fluid that was left outside and it was only after I started topping it off that I noticed it was so runny (aka water got in there).

In my case, I did run it for about 2-3 minutes, basically to move it out of the mud and onto asphalt so I could get under there.

I'm thinking I might have to do more than one flush but how bad did that little tiny bit of running it hurt me and is there anything else I can do to mitigate the damage?

My plan

1. Remove drain plugs and let drain 2-3 days

2. Replace fluid and filters. Run it

3. Drain off a little to inspect for water

4. If water still found, repeat process

Also...if I have to do multiple passes, should I be replacing filters every single time? I don't wanna skip on protecting my investment but I'll save where I can too

Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
plan sounds OK...
re: 2 run it... get it up to 'operating temperature' (aka hot ) so more oil, will drain a lot faster.
probably use same filter for 'repeat, if needed'. if it did trap water 1st time, it'll do it a 2nd( not like there's 100hrs on it...) if it doesn't trap water 1st time, why waste a 2nd filter ?

the longer you can let it drain the better, providing it's in a nice warm garage.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi guys hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread but I have a similar situation. Total bonehead move on my part, as I had a pail of hydraulic fluid that was left outside and it was only after I started topping it off that I noticed it was so runny (aka water got in there).

In my case, I did run it for about 2-3 minutes, basically to move it out of the mud and onto asphalt so I could get under there.

I'm thinking I might have to do more than one flush but how bad did that little tiny bit of running it hurt me and is there anything else I can do to mitigate the damage?

My plan

1. Remove drain plugs and let drain 2-3 days

2. Replace fluid and filters. Run it

3. Drain off a little to inspect for water

4. If water still found, repeat process

Also...if I have to do multiple passes, should I be replacing filters every single time? I don't wanna skip on protecting my investment but I'll save where I can too

Thanks
One of the big advantages of SUDT2 is its ability of suck up water (1% by volume). A thorough drain and filter change will probably be all you need.

Dan

Hman0217

Equipment
Kubota l3901 hst
Aug 12, 2021
Catskill, ny
One of the big advantages of SUDT2 is its ability of suck up water (1% by volume). A thorough drain and filter change will probably be all you need.

Dan
That's good to know. The op was probably just fine then but I just drained my machine and I'm guessing it was easily a pint of water in there, if not a bit more. Got it out just before the freeze hit overnight. So the only question i can think of is whether there are still tiny bits of water in the lines that will crystallize, expand and wreak havoc on the system.

Which makes me think that filling it and running it sooner rather than later to absorb that minute amount of water back into the new fluid before too many freeze-thaw cycles occur is probably prudent.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's good to know. The op was probably just fine then but I just drained my machine and I'm guessing it was easily a pint of water in there, if not a bit more. Got it out just before the freeze hit overnight. So the only question i can think of is whether there are still tiny bits of water in the lines that will crystallize, expand and wreak havoc on the system.

Which makes me think that filling it and running it sooner rather than later to absorb that minute amount of water back into the new fluid before too many freeze-thaw cycles occur is probably prudent.
I would not dawdle.

Dan