Tractor Liability Insurance

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
So last month I was sitting with my agent going over all my policies and learned that my umbrella policy would no longer cover my tractor off-site (it actually stopped two years ago and I didn't even know it). I was mad at him for not letting me know and he said he forgot all about my tractor (I never had a claim).

It turns out he can't even get any insurance for it specifically. So I called another friend that is a broker and he put me in touch with another broker that set me up.

This has always been a hobby for me so I was not happy with the multi thousand dollar quotes. He looked and looked and it was always 1500.00-6000.00/yr.

Anyway, he calls me back and said an insurance company (Merchants) wanted my SS# and authorization to look at my driving record. I said no problem. Merchants Insurance came back with a great quote for the coverage I was looking for.

Question, have any of you ever worked with Merchants Insurance? Are they good? I haven't made a claim in decades so I am not super needy however if a bad one comes, I don't want any issues either.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sleddog,

just so I understand what it is that you are seeking...there's a big difference between liability (you and the damage you cause to someone else, or their property) and property damage (your equipment) insurance.

If you are looking for property damage insurance (to your tractor), yes most homeowners will cover some, or you can get what's called an "inland marine" policy. Typically, they don't cover your tractor if its off site. Nor will a typical "umbrella policy". I believe those really only apply to your home property and you, yourself.

I'll second the vote for KTAC. Seems pretty hard to beat for most people. Covers your machine just about anywhere, and for almost anything (other than damage caused by an act of war).

But, none of these cover damages to someone else's property (that would be liability coverage). That's a whole different ball game.

...just wanted to make sure I understood what you were looking for.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Sleddog,

just so I understand what it is that you are seeking...there's a big difference between liability (you and the damage you cause to someone else, or their property) and property damage (your equipment) insurance.

If you are looking for property damage insurance (to your tractor), yes most homeowners will cover some, or you can get what's called an "inland marine" policy. Typically, they don't cover your tractor if its off site. Nor will a typical "umbrella policy". I believe those really only apply to your home property and you, yourself.

I'll second the vote for KTAC. Seems pretty hard to beat for most people. Covers your machine just about anywhere, and for almost anything (other than damage caused by an act of war).

But, none of these cover damages to someone else's property (that would be liability coverage). That's a whole different ball game.

...just wanted to make sure I understood what you were looking for.
I was talking about liability insurance specifically in relation to someone else's property. I already have great tractor insurance from Kubota. I was looking to protect myself in case I back into someones car, house etc.

murph1068

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 6, 2016
Willowgrove PA
I was talking about liability insurance specifically in relation to someone else's property. I already have great tractor insurance from Kubota. I was looking to protect myself in case I back into someones car, house etc.
Thank you for clarifying, I misunderstood what you were looking for. Disregard my response.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Are you operating your tractor " for hire " ? If so wouldnt you need commercial liability which my rates when I was working were based on gross revenue

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Are you operating your tractor " for hire " ? If so wouldnt you need commercial liability which my rates when I was working were based on gross revenue
Exactly. When I had my landscaping business I had to carry commercial liability. It wasn't that expensive (like $1200/year if I recall) but the rates varied depending on what you did with the machine, especially when it came to digging. Then, it was dependent on just how deep you need to go. That was easy with the little bx, as you couldn't dig very deep. ;)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It is a commercial liability policy that I ended up with. But not for a company, for me personally.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
It is a commercial liability policy that I ended up with. But not for a company, for me personally.
commonly known as a " sole proprietor " . you are a company wether you see yourself that way or not . I operated that way for several years then when added 2nd employee set up a sub-s corp but that was really only a tax savings move. my attorney said when setting up , that as long as I still used my tools & didnt just manage , my personal stuff hard to protect .
now that my son is an attorney, he convinced me anything short of 1million in total coverage is not enough coverage.

Last edited: