Random product questions

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
1. Looking for a decent car wax. What kind do you guys like?

2. Do any of you have a deck sealer you swear by?

3. How do you prolong the life of your grill? I am diligent about keeping it covered, and even move it into the garage during the winter. Despite this, mine seems to rust unnecessarily fast (the burners and grilling surface.)

Thanks!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
1 Mothers

2 Thompson's water seal

3 Dont cover your grill, the cover hold in moisture and wil rust the snot out of it, I leave mine on the back porch and it aint rusted out yet

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
One, if not the worst cause for grill rusting is salt. A good post cooking washing will remove the salt and prolong the grill's life. After the grill dries, you can safely use the cover.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1, haven't used car wax in over 20 years ( my ride's a '97 F150...
2, haven't used sealer in 5 years...
3, had SS burners and grilles made 15 years ago, will easily outlive me

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I didn't have mine custom made, but everything that you can see is SS. I thought that I was OK, but hiding beneath the SS was the non SS burners on my propane grill. I believe that they were in a race to see which one would rust out first.

That is when it dawned on me what was causing the rust; it was not the heat, it was the salt which draws moisture from the air. This puts everything in place for rust the same as road salt rusting vehicles where it is used.

Water washes the salt off.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
1. Really like Zymol for older paint on Sub & Benz. Mothers or Meguires for Taco & Nissan.

2. Have a cedar deck. Been trying various stains for years, and not found one yet that lasts the 4-6 years as claimed. Two years is about max.

3. Same Char-Broil grille for 20 years, used heavily and stored in garage. Porcelain coated grate. Have replaced burner several times. Ignition by handheld candle lighter. Ditched lava rock long ago and made a splatter shield from old bed frame. It looks like hell, but works well and very few complaints about what comes off it....you get a dud now n then!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
1. Whatever wax is added through the car was hose (Lazy I know)

2. Do not know.

3. I don't have a propane grill but my charcoal grill and smoker both advise to clean the grating immediately after the food is cooked while the grill is still hot, and not to cover the grill if it is still hot or if there is moisture on it. I have even seen people go as far as coat their grates with vegetable oil (after it is cleaned and cooled down) like what is done with cast iron pans to form a thin film around the surface for long term storage.