X900 stalls out on cold start

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
Hello my RTV X900 stalls out immediately after startup when the engine is cold.

I use the glow plugs as directed and on a cold start, it fires up after cranking for 2-3 seconds, starts and runs very rough for 3-4 seconds and then dies out. To start I have to crank it for 5-6 seconds, it starts and it runs fine.

When the engine is warm it starts right off the bat and runs just fine.

Air and fuel filters are new. It runs fine, top speed and power are good, it purrs right along as it should.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Do I have a problem or should I just leave it alone?

My Kubota dealer is not much help, their advice was run it until it gets worse, something that I would prefer not to do.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One of my M9's exhibits the same issue. I'm thinking it needs the overhead run (which it will get this winter) and possibly I'm not pre-heating it long enough. Don't do it consistently but it does do it randomly and lopes a bit until it warms up. She's a little down on power too which is an indicator of excessive valve lash. A bit overdue for a valve adjustment at 3600 hours.:D

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

I use the glow plugs as directed and on a cold start, it fires up after cranking for 2-3 seconds, starts and runs very rough for 3-4 seconds and then dies out. To start I have to crank it for 5-6 seconds, it starts and it runs fine.

Air and fuel filters are new. It runs fine, top speed and power are good, it purrs right along as it should.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Do I have a problem or should I just leave it alone?

My Kubota dealer is not much help, their advice was run it until it gets worse, something that I would prefer not to do.
The fuel is bleeding back into the fuel tank when the unit sets awhile, so when you start it it has some air in the system. Most likely the check valve in your lift pump is not holding or the hose to the injection pump is seeping.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Glenn, (this was posted in the tractor section instead of the RTV area but..)

If you re-read your Owner’s Manual you will see that Kubota recommends that during starting the “accelerator” pedal be depressed about half-throttle during starts and initial warm-ups. That should solve your problem on cold starts.
Hope that helps. (I’m an X900 owner also and found it smooths out those starts much more quickly..)

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
Thanks for the help, I reclamped all fuel lines and that did the trick. All is good.