Fan Pulley breaks off Water Pump B2910

midmichmom

Equipment
B2910, RCK60 Mower
May 3, 2018
Howell, Michigan
I had a new water pump installed last August (2019) to the tune of $600. Hours on it were 1044 then and today when I stopped 1067.
Today the tractor overheated. Stopped immediately and let it cool.
On inspection the fan belt was not connected to anything and the pulley had dropped down below where it attaches to the water pump. My neighbor took the fan out and three bolts where found down there. One had been sheared off and a little part of it was still in the pump. Another small circular part that must fit into the pulley was also found in the tractor. Looks like it takes 4 bolts but we only found three and they look too short for the job. Can't find anything in forums about this happening. My neighbor thinks it was not put back together properly. Could he be wrong? It will cost me to have the tractor towed to the dealer for the repair if they are open. Can't find the parts on the internet to see how they fit together and not sure if I can put it all back together. Hate to impose on my neighbors for help. I'd like to attach a photo of the parts but don't know how to do that. If anyone has had a similar experience I'd like to hear about it. Checked everything before I started to mow- fluids and clean radiator. Only mowed for 2 hrs at a easy pace with no stress on the tractor. Thanks for any advice & help.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Here is a parts illustration of the fan and related parts.

Attachments

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
It sounds like you have all the parts other than the bolts and washers. Order new bolts and washers and have someone who knows what they are doing reassemble the fan to the water pump using correct torque and some loctite.

Good luck with it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Most communities have "mobile mechanics," who make their living doing house calls.

If you don not want to bother your neighbor, this is an alternative.

If the broken off bolt piece still in the water pump hub has been removed, you cannot go to far wrong doing the job yourself.

The suggestion to use Loctite is a good one. It is available in two colors. Red and Blue. You want to use the Blue.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
600 clams for a schlock job. you must have deep pockets. Was it a dealer or just some shade tree shop?

Sounds like someone forgot to tighten the bolts up.