Low hours. Change the oil anyway?

chris142

Member

Equipment
B7510
Jan 4, 2026
77
45
18
Apple valley,ca
Coming up on 1 year on my last oil change. Shell 5w40 and a wix filter. Should I change it even with only 26 hrs on the oil and filter? Seems like a no brainer for $30 or so.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

L35

Well-known member

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
721
835
93
CT
I’m similar and go 2 years but I’m not under warranty.
 

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,212
1,111
113
Amsterdam, NY
No harm in doing it early.

If you only have 26 hrs on the tractor - not sure how much white stuff you get in Apple Valley but if you're planning on moving snow this season you might want to do the complete 50 hr. service early while your at it before winter sets in. I would, but that's just me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

chris142

Member

Equipment
B7510
Jan 4, 2026
77
45
18
Apple valley,ca
No harm in doing it early.

If you only have 26 hrs on the tractor - not sure how much white stuff you get in Apple Valley but if you're planning on moving snow this season you might want to do the complete 50 hr. service early while your at it before winter sets in. I would, but that's just me.
White stuff? Like snow? In the Mojave desert? My wife watches those hallmark movies and its always snowing in those places.

Drove to work this morning with the ac on.



Tractor has more hours than 26 it has 26 on this oil change. I'll probably change it yearly so I can sleep well.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,212
1,111
113
Amsterdam, NY
White stuff? Like snow? In the Mojave desert? My wife watches those hallmark movies and its always snowing in those places.
Wasn't sure where you were. :p I change my engine oil and filter every two year just because.

Here's a picture of Northeastern winter tumble weeds. The wind blows so hard it make it's own snowballs. o_O


Snowballs.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,922
4,254
113
Texas
Just run it once and awhile and get it fully warmed up to burn off any condensation.
Change when you hit 50 hours.
No worries!
Good Luck!
If it isn’t started…. there won’t Be any condensation.

I’m always perplexed to hear someone say they‘ll start some engine that has been sitting for months and “run it until it gets warm”… to “keep it oiled”…. etc etc.

That’s about the worst thing you can do, IMO. Starting it up…getting it “warm” places the majority of Wear on the machine….and creates the most water vapor ….which remains in that engine….. .for it to be shut down, prior-to…. or instead-of, .. doing an hour or more of “real work”.

A similar (to me nonsensical) thing is hearing someone say that… before they actual “start” an engine that has been sitting awhile….OR… before starting an engine that is in “arctic” cold-conditions…. They’ll “motor” it with the starter until oil pressure is built up…THEN actually allow it to be started/run.

WHY ? I wonder…. does that wear-and-tear on a starter motor and battery…. be any easier on the engine than simply starting it and allowing it to build oil-pressure much quicker... ??
All the bearings, rings, cylinders, valves, etc are being rotated and moved MORE CYCLES …than if they’d simply Started it and Let it Run normally. :rolleyes:
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,922
4,254
113
Texas
Shame on me!
I didn't explain well enough.
Thinking the OP still used the tractor on occasion,I stated to be sure to warm it fully occasionally.
Thanks for pointing out my error!
Perhaps I mis-read it. Kind regards….
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,922
4,254
113
Texas
Buy a Kubota filter, and Rotella or Kubota oil and change it.
Good luck finding the Rotella viscosity you prefer. I’ve used nothing but T6 in 5W40. since my new ‘24 Ram w/Cummins …. and now cannot find it anywhere. I’m switching to Valvoline (which I’m told is Cummins factory-fill also.)

(Damn. I‘ve finally participated in a “which oil?” discussion.). 🤡
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users