L3130 HST no-crank / hacked safety-switch wiring — worth bringing back to life?

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
Hey everyone. I’ve been reading through the forum because I have an opportunity to pick up an L3130 HST and wanted to get some opinions from people more familiar with these tractors.

A good friend of mine runs an ag business and has an L3130 that he’s owned for roughly 7–8 years. It currently has about 2,850 hours on it and has been sitting for approximately two years. He has other tractors now that fit his operation better and told me I can have this one if I want to mess with getting it running.

According to him, it was a very good tractor for them until one day it developed a no-crank condition. He always believed it was something simple in the safety-interlock system, but he never had enough need for the tractor to spend much time figuring it out.

I spent a couple hours with it recently. I can get power to the tractor and the dash/lights all come on normally, but turning the key produces no starter engagement.

I tested the clutch safety switch and PTO safety switch for continuity and both appear to function correctly. Where things get interesting is the HST pedal/neutral switch.

At some point my friend bought a replacement HST switch, but apparently the factory connector would not fit the new switch. Instead of sorting out the connector, the original connector was cut off and the four wires were terminated individually and slid directly onto the four switch terminals. Since then those wires have been removed/messed with, and we no longer know which wire belongs on which terminal.

The four loose wires at the HST switch are:
  • red/blue
  • red/white
  • red/yellow
  • black/white
The switch itself has four terminals. Following the WSM numbering, terminals 1–2 and 3–4 are the two pairs Kubota says should show 0 ohms with the switch plunger depressed.

When I test the switch itself, one pair has continuity only when the plunger is depressed, which makes sense. The other pair has continuity whether the plunger is depressed or released. The WSM specifies continuity with the switch depressed but doesn’t say what the released-state reading should be.

So I have a few questions for anyone familiar with these:
  1. Should both contact pairs open when the HST switch is released, or is it normal for one pair to remain closed all the time?
  2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram/photo showing which wire color belongs to each of the four HST-switch terminals (or can interpret the WSM better than me potentially)?
  3. Since the factory connector has been removed, would you recommend buying a replacement pigtail/connector and restoring it to factory configuration before doing anything else?
  4. Could this hacked HST-switch wiring alone account for the complete no-crank condition I’m seeing?
The seat safety switch has also been bypassed/rigged somehow, so that eventually needs to be put back correctly too. My understanding is that the seat switch should not normally prevent the tractor from cranking under the proper starting conditions, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

The tractor also currently has a hydraulic leak and a diesel leak, although I haven’t spent enough time with it yet to determine exactly where either one is coming from. I think the diesel leak is coming from the filter area and hopefully is just as simple as a bad seal.

Beyond the electrical issue, I’m also interested in opinions on the tractor itself. At 2,800–2,900 hours, is an L3130 HST that supposedly ran well when parked something you’d consider worth putting some time and money into?

It has an LA723 loader, 4WD, HST, and several implements available with it. Since the tractor itself is being given to me, I’m obviously willing to put some time and money into repairs and a complete fluid/filter service if I can establish that the engine, HST, and hydraulics are fundamentally sound.

My biggest hesitation is that I don’t want to start throwing a bunch of money at it if this is going to turn into a never-ending electrical/hydraulic project just trying to get it started, especially if everyone thinks a 2,800+ hour L3130 is getting a little long in the tooth anyway. Since the tractor itself is free, I’m obviously willing to put some time and money into it, but I’d like to have some confidence that I’m chasing a reasonably fixable no-crank issue rather than opening up a bottomless pit.

My current thought is to first restore the HST safety-switch wiring back to factory configuration, verify the switch itself, and then continue tracing the start circuit from there.

Any advice on the HST switch wiring/behavior, or anything else you’d check first on this tractor, would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Free L3130 HST with ~2,850 hours, sat for 2 years after developing a no-crank condition. Clutch and PTO switches test okay. HST switch wiring has been hacked and the factory connector is gone, so I’m not sure the switch is wired correctly or even functioning correctly. Seat switch is also bypassed. Tractor also has a hydraulic leak and diesel leak. Worth putting time/money into?, and does anyone know how the HST switch should behave and be wired?
 

Firefight100

Active member

Equipment
MX5200
Apr 3, 2021
118
92
28
63379 troy mo
first thing i would do is insure everything is in neutral, key on, then jump the starter solenoid to start the engine. From there you can determine if it is worth saving or not.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
first thing i would do is insure everything is in neutral, key on, then jump the starter solenoid to start the engine. From there you can determine if it is worth saving or not.
That’s definitely at the top of my list for the next thing to try. I’d like to get it running and make sure the major systems seem healthy before I spend too much time chasing the safety-switch wiring.
 

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,208
1,108
113
Amsterdam, NY
At that price I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

Before you try to start it since it's been sitting for 2 years drain all the diesel from the tank, add biocide with fresh fuel. Change the fuel filter(s) and bleed the system to purge any "old" fuel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
At that price I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

Before you try to start it since it's been sitting for 2 years drain all the diesel from the tank, add biocide with fresh fuel. Change the fuel filter(s) and bleed the system to purge any "old" fuel.
Thanks...hard to beat free, but as one of my economics professors always said, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I’m planning to try and prove the engine will at least fire before I get too deep into it, but I agree I probably shouldn’t let it run much on two-year-old fuel. If I can get it to crank and show some signs of life, I’m planning on draining the old diesel, replacing the fuel filter, and adding fresh fuel.
 

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
431
493
63
NW WI
2800 hours is barely middle aged. I agree fresh fuel, turn the key on, and jump across the solenoid/starter. If it starts and runs, you have a real deal there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,984
2,467
113
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks...hard to beat free, but as one of my economics professors always said, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I’m planning to try and prove the engine will at least fire before I get too deep into it, but I agree I probably shouldn’t let it run much on two-year-old fuel. If I can get it to crank and show some signs of life, I’m planning on draining the old diesel, replacing the fuel filter, and adding fresh fuel.
Do you need a tractor?
If yes, would this tractor meet your needs?
How handy are you, and can you follow directions?

If this tractor will fill a need or want and you can get it working with assistance, without having to pay for professional service, it should be a great deal. At <3000 hours, and with the word of your neighbor who has no reason to lie, it should certainly not be worn out. You can see any cosmetic issues, and decide how important they are to you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
2800 hours is barely middle aged. I agree fresh fuel, turn the key on, and jump across the solenoid/starter. If it starts and runs, you have a real deal there.

Sounds like most of you are recommending getting the old fuel out sooner rather than later, so I may move that up the list and plan on draining the tank, replacing the fuel filter and seals, and putting some fresh diesel in before I do much more than a very brief start.

Is the best place to drain the tank the fuel filter area, or is there another lower point that works better? The tank is nearly empty already.
 

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
Do you need a tractor?
If yes, would this tractor meet your needs?
How handy are you, and can you follow directions?

If this tractor will fill a need or want and you can get it working with assistance, without having to pay for professional service, it should be a great deal. At <3000 hours, and with the word of your neighbor who has no reason to lie, it should certainly not be worn out. You can see any cosmetic issues, and decide how important they are to you.

I’ve got some acreage and need a tractor for mowing paths, cleaning up brush, moving snow, grading the driveway, and general garden/yard work. I think this tractor could handle 95% of what I’d use one for.


I’d eventually like to move some hay bales and help put up a little hay too, which may be more than this tractor is really cut out for, but that would be a pretty small percentage of my use.


I’m definitely not the most mechanically inclined guy, but I can follow directions and YouTube pretty well, and my dad could probably put an old John Deere back together in his sleep. Unfortunately, I didn’t inherit quite as much of that gene as I would’ve liked. Haha


From what I’ve been reading, it seems like the L3130 has a pretty loyal following and fits a lot of what I need, so I’m willing to screw around with it some and see if I can end up with a decent starter tractor without having much money into it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
431
493
63
NW WI
If it runs rough or doesn't start, you may have to bleed the air out of the system.


 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,208
1,108
113
Amsterdam, NY
Sounds like most of you are recommending getting the old fuel out sooner rather than later, so I may move that up the list and plan on draining the tank, replacing the fuel filter and seals, and putting some fresh diesel in before I do much more than a very brief start.

Is the best place to drain the tank the fuel filter area, or is there another lower point that works better? The tank is nearly empty already.
New fuel and filter would definitely be #1 on my list BEFORE I tried to start it.

Condensate builds up especially in nearly empty tanks. Diesel floats so water will be in the bottom near the outlet. Also any biological growth will clog filters and injectors. Those two together may make getting the engine to fire almost impossible. I say almost because you might get lucky, but do you want to chance it?

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF STARTER SPRAY ON A DEISEL ENGINE!
Sorry to yell, you probably already know this - it will pre-detonate and make a very bad day of things and cost you lots more money than you want to spend.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Well-known member

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
431
493
63
NW WI
I think this is where the bleeder button is on your model.

1791252127230.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

have24

New member
Oct 5, 2026
6
3
3
Kansas
Thanks, airbiscuit and Bee-Positive. I appreciate the help on where to drain the fuel and how to bleed the system afterward. I had skimmed across the bleeding procedure the other day when I looked through the WSM, but appreciate you pointing me back to the exact page. That helps a lot.


I think I’m going to move draining the old fuel, replacing the filter/seals, adding fresh diesel, and bleeding the system right up to the top of my list before I do much more with it. Thanks again for the guidance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,984
2,467
113
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks, airbiscuit and Bee-Positive. I appreciate the help on where to drain the fuel and how to bleed the system afterward. I had skimmed across the bleeding procedure the other day when I looked through the WSM, but appreciate you pointing me back to the exact page. That helps a lot.


I think I’m going to move draining the old fuel, replacing the filter/seals, adding fresh diesel, and bleeding the system right up to the top of my list before I do much more with it. Thanks again for the guidance.
Open the jet start bleeder before you try to start it, then leave it open 30 seconds or so after it starts. If you try to start it first with the bleeder valve closed, you may push air into the injector pump, which then has to work through the injector lines and injectors.

And, as others have said, never give your Kubota even a whiff of starting fluid.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user