FEL auger operating tips

JohnR68

New member

Equipment
F2400 Mowers
Dec 26, 2024
14
4
3
QLD Australia
Anyone got any tips on operating a FEL mounted post hole auger. I'm trying to drill 400 mm (16 inch) holes and i can't get them straight. Its 100% operator error, or lack of competence i'm sure. I'd appreciate any tips on how this should be done, should i have the loader in float, letting the weight of the loader drive the auger? I've been incrementally dropping the loader as the auger bites, but I cant seem to coordinate lowering the loader and adjusting the curl to keep the auger plumb in a front to back plane. The auger is free to swing however it likes but its the loader arms coming down in an arc rather than vertically downwards that's causing me problems.
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
337
193
43
Virginia
No, you don't want float. This leads into a corkscrew type thing where it can pull down faster than it moves dirt out of the hole. I think you will want to drop it with the arms slowly, and maybe not use tilt at all.

I've only used 3pt auger, but I imagine its similar since the lift is still moving in an arc.
You have to incrementally move forward or backward as you drill down. I'm thinking in your case you will need to roll backwards to keep it upright but I'd have to see a picture to say for sure.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Well-known member

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
1,201
1,193
113
E.
I have a slightly different setup.
But on mine, I need to inch fwd slowly about eight inches, when i'm digging a six foot deep hole. The deeper the hole the more I have to move my machine forward.
This makes an oblong hole, but it is perfectly vertical.
To minimize having to move the machine slowly forward, sometimes I set the bit a little off plum to take into account I'm gonna move forward anyways.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Well-known member

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
3,676
6,873
113
Central Piedmont, NC
As others have said, power down to avoid corkscrewing. Do not float.

As the loader arms come down in an arc, they move the auger head forward. The only way to correct that is by moving the tractor backward. You have to move backward incrementally as the boom moves down.

Adjusting curl is useless unless you have the curl at such an extreme that it’s causing the auger head pivot to bind. Normally you shouldn’t have to adjust curl at all.