Chain Carrier Build

freudianfloyd

Member

Equipment
Kubota MX6000, Massey Ferguson 150, Farmall B, John Deere 410J TC
Sep 30, 2024
29
43
13
Ohio
I know most people seem to have a front loader but since I have a bigger loader I opted not to get one on my MX6000. Up until today, I just had the threaded holes where the loader mounts on, plugged to keep dirt out. Well looking at it the other day, I realized that those holes are perfect for mounting other things on. One thing I have been needing is somewhere to store a logging chain. This weekend, I took care of that.

10272.jpg

Measuring out the best I could, I drew up a mounting plate, and then found some scrap materials to make the chain holder out of.

I found some 6" steel pipe (wish I went bigger), 1/4" plate, and some 2x2 steel tubing.

I then had a buddy cut the mounting plate and bottom plug for the pipe out on the plasma table at work. And I used the bandsaw to cut the pipe and put a taper on it so the chain can be removed and installed easier without risking hitting the side of the tractor hood.
10273.jpg
10274.jpg

Then after figuring out exactly where I wanted to mount it on the plate, I got set up welding it. I left a notch cut in the bottom plate to let water run out of needed. Also, not my best welds so dont pick them apart too much, I had a 4 year old in the shop with me and he wouldn't stop causing trouble while I was welding.
10277.jpg
10278.jpg
And then gave it a coat of the darkest Grey enamel I could find (still not dark enough). I thought about painting it orange, but figured Kubota would've made it grey where it is mounted so I figured i would do the same.
10283.jpg

And here it is with 16' of 3/8" logging chain. Again, I wish I went a bit bigger. Maybe on the other side I will add another one. 10287.jpg
The most expensive part of this whole project were the 4 mounting bolts. They were $10 each. The metal was free and the paint was $9 for the can.

Even if i dont use it for a chain, it can still hold tools or whatever else I need, and this tractor as you all know has very little storage places. 10282.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8 users

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,109
5,559
113
Michigan
Very nice sir!

I feel your pain about those bolts too.....I recently made a hydraulic SSQA actuator and 2 of the bigger metric bolts were something like 8 bucks each:eek:

The drain hole was a good idea as well.(y)(y)

Well done(y)(y)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

freudianfloyd

Member

Equipment
Kubota MX6000, Massey Ferguson 150, Farmall B, John Deere 410J TC
Sep 30, 2024
29
43
13
Ohio
Very nice sir!

I feel your pain about those bolts too.....I recently made a hydraulic SSQA actuator and 2 of the bigger metric bolts were something like 8 bucks each:eek:

The drain hole was a good idea as well.(y)(y)

Well done(y)(y)
Thank you
 

Yooper

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
1,750
928
113
NE Wisconsin
Excellent work! BTW, your welds are not going to hurt anybody’s eyes.👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

freudianfloyd

Member

Equipment
Kubota MX6000, Massey Ferguson 150, Farmall B, John Deere 410J TC
Sep 30, 2024
29
43
13
Ohio
Very nice work! I like the design. I found that Rustoleum Gloss Charcoal Gray is the closest match I could find for the frame color.
Jim
Thank you. I was looking for charcoal gray but the darkest they had was "dark gray".