Folding rotary cutters, flex wings and bat wings.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Once you have one for large parcels, you will never go back.
I can see that already! I'd like to cut my place more than once a year, but it's slow going with the RCR1884. My friend's place is basically flat so much easier to cut than my place. If it were faster I'd probably do it more often.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Preach it Brother!
Do you tow your RC3712 on the road at all? Given how narrow the transport wheels are spaced I can't imagine anything but low speeds and slow cornering.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
Do you tow your RC3712 on the road at all? Given how narrow the transport wheels are spaced I can't imagine anything but low speeds and slow cornering.
Yes, about a mile or so between fields and we live on a county paved road. I'm never in a hurry!

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm going to decide this week if an RC3712 is in my immediate future. Turns out that neither tractor hooked up to that cutter would fit on my 22ft trailer, so I'd need to get creative if I'm going to use it off property. I do have an idea for a 3ft trailer extender. These folding cutters are crazy expensive, but as I get older I'd like to move into contract mowing of large pastures. Plenty of people have moved here, bought large parcels and have no way or interest in maintaining them.

Even if I get a folding cutter, I think I'll keep the RCR1884. It's 50% more expensive now compared to when I bought it in April of 2021 and it's a great cutter that I can still use at my place and possibly at other places.

If I commit to an RC3712 the big decision is what color. I've always liked the classic Land Pride tan color and would probably go with that, with orange being my second choice. I still can't figure out the difference between the RC3712 and RCM3712.

rc3712_colors.jpg

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I want to thank all of you that replied and offered advice. (y) This forum has proven to be very expensive for me but it's money well spent. I took the plunge this morning and ordered the folding cutter owned and recommended by @Like Tractors and @psdstu i.e. the RC3712. I opted for the Land Pride performance hitch, chains all around and aircraft 25.5" foam-filled tires.

The input driveline comes standard as a Cat.6 constant velocity to allow for 80 degree turns, and it uses Cat.4 with slip clutches to drive the outer gear boxes.

Turns out the RCM3712 is the 1,000 rpm pto model.

psdstu

Equipment
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
I want to thank all of you that replied and offered advice. (y) This forum has proven to be very expensive for me but it's money well spent. I took the plunge this morning and ordered the folding cutter owned and recommended by @Like Tractors and @psdstu i.e. the RC3712. I opted for the Land Pride performance hitch, chains all around and aircraft 25.5" foam-filled tires.

The input driveline comes standard as a Cat.6 constant velocity to allow for 80 degree turns, and it uses Cat.4 with slip clutches to drive the outer gear boxes.

Turns out the RCM3712 is the 1,000 rpm pto model.
Sounds great!!! I would ask if you could add the Over Running Clutch.... it takes a lot of stress off the tractor pto and lets the rotary cutter wind down slowly. I ordered my 3712 just before the Covid shutdown went into effect at LP and it took about 6 months to arrive. Hopefully you wait is a lot shorter!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Sounds great!!! I would ask if you could add the Over Running Clutch.... it takes a lot of stress off the tractor pto and lets the rotary cutter wind down slowly. I ordered my 3712 just before the Covid shutdown went into effect at LP and it took about 6 months to arrive. Hopefully you wait is a lot shorter!
My dealer told me that there isn't an over running clutch option on the cutter. We talked about the situation with older tractors where the mass of the rotating parts on the implement continues to turn the PTO after the operator disengages the PTO, and this would drive the tractor forward. The dealer sells a PTO adapter with a ratcheting "clutch" that can be used on older tractors that don't have the feature built in. Am I missing something here?

I got word this morning that I can get Land Pride tan so that's the color on my order! (y)

psdstu

Equipment
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
My dealer told me that there isn't an over running clutch option on the cutter. We talked about the situation with older tractors where the mass of the rotating parts on the implement continues to turn the PTO after the operator disengages the PTO, and this would drive the tractor forward. The dealer sells a PTO adapter with a ratcheting "clutch" that can be used on older tractors that don't have the feature built in. Am I missing something here?

I got word this morning that I can get Land Pride tan so that's the color on my order! (y)
I think your dealer may be mistaken or LP no longer offers it.
I ordered the ORC on my 3712 and its still listed on the 3712 spec sheet, Owners manual, and Parts breakdown in the Online manuals from the website.
Not gonna beat a dead horse but I like the option on my cutter.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just got word that the Land Pride RC3712 is on a truck and heading to Montana. I'll have to drop off the M6060 to the dealer early next week so that they can get the cutter and tractor set up. I'd better get the draw bar wrapped up since I'll need the standard pin interface rather than the pintle interface.

I'll need to weld the stub that I cut off, that has the large hole in it, to a plate that can bolt to the plate that I welded (and soon to be gusseted) onto the drawbar.

draw_bar_5.jpg

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Just got word that the Land Pride RC3712 is on a truck and heading to Montana. I'll have to drop off the M6060 to the dealer early next week so that they can get the cutter and tractor set up. I'd better get the draw bar wrapped up since I'll need the standard pin interface rather than the pintle interface.

I'll need to weld the stub that I cut off, that has the large hole in it, to a plate that can bolt to the plate that I welded (and soon to be gusseted) onto the drawbar.

View attachment 127437
Look forward to seeing pics when all is set up. I would have chosen the same model and color. You will never regret upgrading to a wider mower. It makes such a difference in time spent mowing.

I can (and will) mow my pastures several times a year with my Bat-Wing. Before that....once a year was about all I could stand. It IS a big expense initially....but well worth it IMO.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Look forward to seeing pics when all is set up. I would have chosen the same model and color. You will never regret upgrading to a wider mower. It makes such a difference in time spent mowing.

I can (and will) mow my pastures several times a year with my Bat-Wing. Before that....once a year was about all I could stand. It IS a big expense initially....but well worth it IMO.
I'll definitely show some photos once I have it at my place and also when cutting my friend's place by the river. It's by far the most expensive implement I've ever bought, but I plan to keep it until the end and use it as much as possible over the summer months.

For now I'm going to keep the RCR1884 and run it when it makes sense to do so, and I'll certainly be keeping the Del Morino flail mower. I can't imagine ever parting ways with it unless it's to upgrade to a wider flail, but that's not likely.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I'll definitely show some photos once I have it at my place and also when cutting my friend's place by the river. It's by far the most expensive implement I've ever bought, but I plan to keep it until the end and use it as much as possible over the summer months.

For now I'm going to keep the RCR1884 and run it when it makes sense to do so, and I'll certainly be keeping the Del Morino flail mower. I can't imagine ever parting ways with it unless it's to upgrade to a wider flail, but that's not likely.
After you get some seat time on that batwing and you see what it will do you will sell those other two mowers. One of the best days on this farm was when the fail mower went down the road. I had a twelve foot one and it was a maintenance night mare but I was putting a few hundred hours a year on it. You get all the settings right and your ground speed right and that batwing will out mow the other two.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
After you get some seat time on that batwing and you see what it will do you will sell those other two mowers. One of the best days on this farm was when the fail mower went down the road. I had a twelve foot one and it was a maintenance night mare but I was putting a few hundred hours a year on it. You get all the settings right and your ground speed right and that batwing will out mow the other two.
I don't think I'll sell the Del Morino flail mower. It's an hydraulic offset model with a rotating head so can cut in the vertical position. The RCR1884 might be sold but no rush on that.

The RC3712 was unloaded from the delivery truck this morning. I'll be taking the M6060 over on Monday and the dealership will hopefully have it ready for pickup Wednesday or Thursday. It's a beast and I'm really looking forward to putting it to work.

The tires are 20 ply and they're on a split rim.

rc3712_01.jpg

rc3712_02.jpg

rc3712_03.jpg

rc3712_04.jpg

rc3712_05.jpg

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Were you able to get the back of transport tires to hitch measurement, that you were looking for earlier, now that it has arrived?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Were you able to get the back of transport tires to hitch measurement, that you were looking for earlier, now that it has arrived?
I didn't even think of confirming that measurement since I'd resigned myself to the idea that I'll need to extend the trailer by 3ft or so.