Small Utility Trailer

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Just for comparison I use this home built hydraulic dump trailer behind my 18 HP John Deere 345. Fully loaded with damp earth it weighs around 1500 pounds including the trailer. I have no issues going anywhere with it so would think that the op's BX could easily tow a ton considering it has more torque.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
pulling on level ground is one thing,.... STOPPING on a slight downward grade of wet grass can be ,well, um, 'challenging' to say the least !

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
pulling on level ground is one thing,.... STOPPING on a slight downward grade of wet grass can be ,well, um, 'challenging' to say the least !
If a person is stupid enough to do that they should stay away from tractors.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hey Gang,

Looking for a small utility trailer for my BX1880.
Been looking at some for ATV's and riding lawnmowers as they seem to be the size and price I want. Just for light duty landscaping etc.
I have found this one to be interesting, seems to be rebranded by numerous companies, but all from the same manufacturer. Oh yea, I'm in Canada so prices are insulting and supply is often limited...

So I am curious has anyone used anything like this on there BX series and if so, any pro's or con's?
Find and use an old snowmobile trailer

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just for comparison I use this home built hydraulic dump trailer behind my 18 HP John Deere 345. Fully loaded with damp earth it weighs around 1500 pounds including the trailer. I have no issues going anywhere with it so would think that the op's BX could easily tow a ton considering it has more torque.
That's a really cool and stout trailer that looks to be very well thought out. Nice job on designing and building it. (y)

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Find and use an old snowmobile trailer
20191124_122904.jpg

I picked this one up for 100.00 and was pretty solid. One day a random person drove by and asked if 300 would take it.........." here's a walk around of it, it's not 100% road worthy but if you want it sure". I regret selling it lol. When I worked landscaping and going to the gravel pit or decorative stone lot some one usually had a trailer like that loaded up. 4 miles up the road they'd be on the shoulder shoveling it off the trailer onto a buddy's truck because of a broken axel.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Reading stuff on this board has a tendency to make me think of things that will cause my "mebbe oughta do" list to grow. I was firmly convinced I DID NOT need a small trailer.

Then I came on here and saw posts that got me to thinking that perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe I could build a little trailer. Maybe I could use that hydraulic unit in the shed from the Fisher plow to make it dump. There are already other things i should be finishing.

Anyone else find themselves dreaming up projects as they peruse the posts?

Reactions: 3 users

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
That's a really cool and stout trailer that looks to be very well thought out. Nice job on designing and building it. (y)
Yes, this build I did probably 20 years ago and was quite involved. I was originally thinking that I could use the hydraulics that are on the tractor but soon realized that they were not going to be enough. I ended up building a power unit to go under the tractor that would replace the mower deck. The only issue is that the caster wheels hang down a bit too far, so I plan on removing them and just use a dolly instead for installation onto the tractor. These pictures are from the construction stage before the hoses were all connected. Works great with the speed of that of a dump truck. It was nice to see that my math worked out. I last used it when digging a trench in my lawn to put our power line underground. Dumped earth from the backhoe bucket into trailer and then dumped it in the woods. After job was done the only area requiring repair was the actual trench instead of the whole lawn.

Edit, this was done before I purchased a gas mig welder. I was using my old AC sputter box welder at the time. If you are doing any fab work a mig welder makes great looking welds and is well worth the money. The only problem is that you end up being the go-to place to get anything welded.

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, this build I did probably 20 years ago and was quite involved. I was originally thinking that I could use the hydraulics that are on the tractor but soon realized that they were not going to be enough. I ended up building a power unit to go under the tractor that would replace the mower deck. The only issue is that the caster wheels hang down a bit too far, so I plan on removing them and just use a dolly instead for installation onto the tractor. These pictures are from the construction stage before the hoses were all connected. Works great with the speed of that of a dump truck. It was nice to see that my math worked out. I last used it when digging a trench in my lawn to put our power line underground. Dumped earth from the backhoe bucket into trailer and then dumped it in the woods. After job was done the only area requiring repair was the actual trench instead of the whole lawn.
That's even more impressive. Great work!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Reading stuff on this board has a tendency to make me think of things that will cause my "mebbe oughta do" list to grow. I was firmly convinced I DID NOT need a small trailer.

Then I came on here and saw posts that got me to thinking that perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe I could build a little trailer. Maybe I could use that hydraulic unit in the shed from the Fisher plow to make it dump. There are already other things i should be finishing.

Anyone else find themselves dreaming up projects as they peruse the posts?
All the time.:LOL: I have both single axle and tandem axle dump trailers but they're not ideal behind the MX or M. I have a small aluminum trailer that's good behind both tractors with the much longer tongue, but it doesn't dump. I'd love a trailer like the one @Donystoy built, but maybe a little bigger.

YOUNGDRETTI

Equipment
L3750DT G1800S w/ 3 PT.
May 17, 2022
UT
I like the Ultratec trailer, but I load it lightly, because I don't know the tow capacity of my G1800S I pull it with. Does anyone know where I can find tow capacity for this reliable but old garden tractor?

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I like the Ultratec trailer, but I load it lightly, because I don't know the tow capacity of my G1800S I pull it with. Does anyone know where I can find tow capacity for this reliable but old garden tractor?
Not familiar with tractors being rated for towing like an F150 or Silverado. I'd figure that you were within towing capacity up until you lost traction. :)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Not familiar with tractors being rated for towing like an F150 or Silverado. I'd figure that you were within towing capacity up until you lost traction. :)
The owner's manual lists towing capacity for our tractors (from the draw bar) as well as implement weight capacity.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The owner's manual lists towing capacity for our tractors (from the draw bar) as well as implement weight capacity.
Darned if you aren't right. Learned somethin today:)

The info is interesting. Looks like it will pull a trailer at 1.5X its own weight.

Side note - there's a plethora* of implements listed but no RFM?