A riddle wrapped in a GR2120.

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
I found a GR2120 being sold locally that I'm considering. It's almost new with less than fifty hours.

I'm just not sure what it's really worth? The asking price for the machine is $ 9500.00

While the GR2120 is probably the least desirable of all the tractors produced by Kubota, it's certainly not without merits. The question is, do the merits outweigh the negatives?

I'm naturally inclined to have a machine designed for a single purpose, not a machine with multiple implements that doesn't excel at any one task. For example, the BX1880 is capable of mowing, leaf collection and snow removal etc. However, it's a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. And yet, even at twenty thousand dollars it's a great value and will last forever.

My hope is that the GR could serve as my mower, collect leaves in a 3-bag collection system and plow snow with a blade and/or snow blower attachment.

I have an acre of land here in Connecticut that borders a private golf course, so the focus has always been on my lawn. However, at fifty years of age, I'm looking ahead and trying to future-proof my property maintenance needs. My biggest fear is dying of a heart-attack while shoveling snow. I have a Honda 9hp snowblower but I'm getting thrown around and having to wrestle with it because I chose the wheeled version over the tracked model when I bought it. I regret that decision now as my driveway is 135' feet long and I'm not getting any younger. For mowing, my Husqvarna works fine but won't last forever. Last year I bought a BillyGoat leaf vacuum with a Honda engine and that works great. However, carrying bag after bag of leaf litter into the woods isn't something I want to be doing in ten years, let alone until I'm 90.

Pricing is partially a regional thing, but I appreciate any feedback about the asking price for the GR2120 and advice. This site has been great and I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I found a GR2120 being sold locally that I'm considering. It's almost new with less than fifty hours. I'm just not sure what it's really worth?

While the GR2120 is probably the least desirable of all the tractors produced by Kubota, it's certainly not without merits. The question is, do the merits outweigh the negatives?

I'm naturally inclined to have a machine designed for a single purpose, not a machine with multiple implements that doesn't excel at any one task. For example, the BX1880 is capable of mowing, leaf collection and snow removal etc. However, it's a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. And yet, it's a great value and will last forever.

I have an acre of land that borders a private golf course, so the focus has always been on my lawn. However, at fifty years of age, I'm looking ahead and trying to future-proof my property maintenance needs. My biggest fear is dying of a heart-attack while shoveling snow. I have a Honda 9hp snowblower but I'm getting thrown around and having to wrestle with it because I chose the wheeled version over the tracked model when I bought it. I regret that decision now as my driveway is 135' feet long and I'm not getting any younger. For mowing, my Husqvarna works fine but won't last forever. Last year I bought a BillyGoat leaf vacuum with a Honda engine and that works great. However, carrying bag after bag of leaf litter into the woods isn't something I want to be doing in ten years, let alone until I'm 90.

I appreciate any feedback and advice. This site has been great and I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Thanks!
You kind of seemed to answer your own question:

"I'm naturally inclined to have a machine designed for a single purpose, not a machine with multiple implements that doesn't excel at any one task."

Were myself, I would look at a multitask machine that would assist me in various projects, you state you prefer a single purpose machine. If that is what you like, then that is what you get because none of us will becoming over to mow your yard. You have to get what works for you.

Usually, a single purpose machine will do that task better than a general purpose machine. The question becomes does doing that task better outweigh the use of a general purpose machine and the additional functionality? For me the answer is no, but my priorities are different than yours.

Sorry for giving you an answer that doesn't really give you an answer, but I believe your question is really one more so of personal choice.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I understand single purpose machines, but then you explain that you actually want to do multiple purposes with it - mow and snow removal. I think the GR would be compromised for snow removal. I'm not familiar with the snow blower attachment for the GR, but my guess would be that:
- a BX would mow pretty much the same as a GR - you're looking at a tractor machine not a zero turn
- a BX would move snow better. The front snow blower is expensive though
- a front end loader would be very useful tidying up snow that the blower can't get to for whatever reason
- a front end loader would let you do lots of other things as well

The GR is a lot less expensive, and for the money probably a great machine. A BX would likely be better at the tasks you describe.

Last edited:

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Sounds like a used BX would suit your needs well. I upgraded to something larger but I wish I had the funds to keep the BX for the tasks you describe.