'81 B7100 (B7001) Need differential exploded view

JRHill

Equipment
Orange: B7100 Std and Woodmizer; Green/yellow JD Buck, Gator and 410j.
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
Hi Folks,

My toy tractor is down, kind of. Its stuck in low range. I pulled the cover with the shifter/MFWD levers and drained it down. Everything in the gear box is good. I can see where the range selector engages a yoke on a splined shaft and it goes through the gear case and into the differential. Mostly for now I'm trying to determine whether its a danger to move without something catastrophic.

Halleluiah, I found copies of the OEM owner and service manual on eBay but they won't be here for at least a few weeks. In the mean time I have some minor stuff I can do and I really want to troubleshoot further. If someone has access to an exploded view of the Hi/Low parts in the differential and can attach a snap shot of the page I'd really appreciate it!

BTW, all was working fine. I was pulling a loose root ball (in reverse) to a burning location and was going up hill. It was bogging a bit and the rears started slipping so I moved forward a bit, shifted to low range and depressed the differential lock. The lock engaged as always and all was good until I disconnected to leave. I couldn't get it back into high range. The lever stops short of the lever's detent and won't go any further even with rocking it a bit.

Not to confuse the subject but I'm also trying to trace out the flow of power. If the hi/low stuff is in the differential it must come back into the gear box for the output to get the front axle. Figuring that out is on today's menu of chores.

Thanks in advance!
JRH

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi Folks,

My toy tractor is down, kind of. Its stuck in low range. I pulled the cover with the shifter/MFWD levers and drained it down. Everything in the gear box is good. I can see where the range selector engages a yoke on a splined shaft and it goes through the gear case and into the differential. Mostly for now I'm trying to determine whether its a danger to move without something catastrophic.

Halleluiah, I found copies of the OEM owner and service manual on eBay but they won't be here for at least a few weeks. In the mean time I have some minor stuff I can do and I really want to troubleshoot further. If someone has access to an exploded view of the Hi/Low parts in the differential and can attach a snap shot of the page I'd really appreciate it!

BTW, all was working fine. I was pulling a loose root ball (in reverse) to a burning location and was going up hill. It was bogging a bit and the rears started slipping so I moved forward a bit, shifted to low range and depressed the differential lock. The lock engaged as always and all was good until I disconnected to leave. I couldn't get it back into high range. The lever stops short of the lever's detent and won't go any further even with rocking it a bit.

Not to confuse the subject but I'm also trying to trace out the flow of power. If the hi/low stuff is in the differential it must come back into the gear box for the output to get the front axle. Figuring that out is on today's menu of chores.

Thanks in advance!
JRH
You can download a copy from Kubotabooks.com.

Dan

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
Thx Dan. I was there:
The connection to kubotabooks.com is not secure

I just don't do those sites. It's not worth it, not to mention insecure PDFs if the site is not https. I'm an IT guy. There are just some things I don't do on line, regardless of my local precautions.

My loss.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
just about all of us have used those manuals there's nothing nefarious going on.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance!
JRH
You can go to the Kubota factory parts lookup site. Use this link.

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
I appreciate the confirmation for the site. To have the site be secure costs a bit and if they are doing it for free, well its free for everyone and no revenue stream. I am an open source guy but these days , as OldHokie said it, ya have to be careful.

Heck, this site is https, gladly. That protects the line and probably up/down loaded stuff. But going to an unprotected site? I avoid them. It only takes one oops. Anyway, this is a rabbit trail. Its not raining so I have to pull the tarp off the Kubota and get to work.

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
Anyway, I spent some time cleaning. The rig is on jack stands. Sure enough, power from the engine goes through the gear box (1, 2 and 3 and R), into the differential and back into gear box. I can get high range to just barely engage. There doesn't seem to be that little spot where ya can get between low and high so something came out of position in the differential. If I have to separate the gear box from the differential, so be it. Unfortunately this isn't the time to be dropping the backhoe off it.....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The Hi-Low is not in the differential, it is in the transmission case.
The propeller shaft to the front axle has nothing to do with the Range shifter.

Attachments

JRHill

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
The Hi-Low is not in the differential, it is in the transmission case.
The propeller shaft to the front axle has nothing to do with the Range shifter.
You are correct as I was able to trace through the motions later on Saturday before getting rained out. And thanks for the attachment.