Clutch drag.

Citro-nut

Equipment
B4200 Tractor, KH31 excavator
May 30, 2021
France
My first day of mowing through up some issues, the main one being the clutch operation. With the PTO engaged, each time I felt the urge to slow or stop, I applied brakes, dipped the clutch and it just kept going. Similarly whilst shifting between forward and reverse, clutch would not disengage. Disengage PTO and all was back to normal. Is this a fault or a Kubota safety feature to ensure you have to take both hands off the wheel and play with every available lever?:unsure::oops:
Trevor

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You may need an over run clutch. It's a device between the tractor PTO output and the PTO shaft. It still spins the mower but will allow the mower to continue spinning while preventing its inertia from pushing the tractor. Some tractors have a two stage clutch to disengage the PTO but many do not.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
Hi big G. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if the drive shaft is short enough to take the extension. I understand now that it's the momentum of the cutter causing the issue, perhaps I should get used to pulling the PTO lever earlier so as to keep control of the rest of it.
Trevor

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The overrun clutch is a much better solution and most pto shafts can be cut down to the shorter length needed.

Just be careful as you say.

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
Cool, I'll look into that, thanks. It would make operating the machine a far better experience.
Trevor

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
My research shows a replacement yolk for the PTO shaft, just remove the splined yolk from the UJ and fit the replacement with built in overrun clutch. Any good?? It's a lot less money than the one similar to the one in the link, and no need to cut the shaft down. What do you think?
Trevor

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sounds like it is a good option but just make sure it will do the job. I am surprised that it can be made in the same space as the original yoke but it is a good idea.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There may be other implements you desire to use in the future and it’ll be a simpler and less-expensive and permanent solution to buy/install an over-running clutch on your tractors PTO output shaft.
An overrunning clutch can be a safety-item…. if you have the need for quickly stopping the tractor in an emergency-stop…. without an OR-Clutch you can be serously hurt and cause a lot of damage.

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
Hi, Are you referring to the one in Big G's link above. I suppose you are correct, if I fit the one I pictured, its only good for that one implement. I hadn't thought of that. :unsure: Precisely why I joined this Forum:D