Recent content by texasgeezer

  1. T

    L2850 power steering issue

    Not an expert or mechanic, but my L2250DT, I believe has the same type pump. My problem was the hydraulic pump ( very common problem ). The pump has a shaft that frequently breaks due to bushing friction & cracking. This shaft connects two sets of gears for hydraulic pressure. One set is...
  2. T

    Chapter two, heat pistons or not, yesterday's happening

    Also, the local 'larger' Kubota dealer told me the pistons were press in & did not need to be heated. Their newer shop manual, for my tractor, did not have the wording in to heat the pistons. Others said the pistons were press in. An aftermarket piston supplier said the pistons were...
  3. T

    Chapter two, heat pistons or not, yesterday's happening

    Also, the local 'larger' Kubota dealer told me the pistons were press in & did not need to be heated. Their newer shop manual, for my tractor, did not have the wording in to heat the pistons. Others said the pistons were press in. An aftermarket piston supplier said the pistons were...
  4. T

    Chapter two, heat pistons or not, yesterday's happening

    I'm having an 'oldtimers' moment, what does the smiley mean? How does it relate to my post? Are you being 'off topic' again?
  5. T

    Chapter two, heat pistons or not, yesterday's happening

    Early yesterday I took my piston assemblies to the machine shop that was touted 'to heat pistons' to insert pins. They seemed to not have heard about heating pistons. Also said their good machinist was retired & came in only when needed. So I then went to the machine shop used by the other...
  6. T

    heat piston to properly put in wrist pin?

    Thanks for the comment about it will be ok if floats a little. I'm going to have a machine shop take the pistons off & check the piston to pin clearances. Though, I do hate to take the chance for possible damage due to handling. When I compared the factory spec for new components, it showed...
  7. T

    heat piston to properly put in wrist pin?

    Don't know why I should have put a long narrative about my tractor to ask a simple question about heating pistons. The cost, the wear (or lack thereof), comments about 'going cheap', 'you replace one you replace them all', have nothing to do with my question. You make comments that don't...
  8. T

    heat piston to properly put in wrist pin?

    For: bandaidmd I am for from an 'expert' but from my recent research most engines use one of three common methods for dealing with the wrist pin. 1. floating in the upper rod bushing, tight in the piston holes (rod bushing relies on oil to keep from wearing) 2. floating in the piston...
  9. T

    heat piston to properly put in wrist pin?

    Thanks for the 1st two posts. Didn't really care for the third, but doubt if he expected me to appreciate it. Guess he didn't think about any way that the other two could be new or 'good as new'. Personally I was concerned that Kubota might be sourcing parts from India or China so their profit...
  10. T

    heat piston to properly put in wrist pin?

    My Kubota engine is a d1302-DI. The service manual I've been using has information for a d1402-DI. Virtually all the parts are the same with the D1402 having the sleeve bored & honed for the larger pistons. I am replacing the #2 piston & the service manual said to 'heat the piston in oil"...
  11. T

    DCA coolant additive required?

    Wondering about your comment that there is a buildup if using SCA's. On the internet, I've seen may complaints about GM's Dexcool causing buildup & problems relating to that. My father-in-law had that buildup in an Oldsmobile. Haven't seen that complaint about DCA type. I understand your...
  12. T

    DCA coolant additive required?

    I've been using Fleet Charge SCA (Tractor Supply & others) http://www.peakauto.com/antifreeze-fleet_charge.shtml From what I've read this is a DCA 4 type & is compatible with other DCA 4 such as CAT. Also, supposedly not compatible with pencool, dexcool type. Cost is so low I just change...
  13. T

    Hand digging water well

    About 55 years ago my brothers & I dug a well about 40' deep. Our dad had purchased concrete pipe (seconds) similar to what was mentioned previously. Diameter about 40", lipped, 5' long, & 4" thick. Used a rope & bucket. No rock layers, good soil, then about 4' of sand, gravel including...
  14. T

    Should there be any 'vacuum' detected before the fuel filter?

    Thanks, that is what I thought, but didn't have any experience with that subject. I tore my failing fuel cap apart & found about five internal parts were coated with a layer of crud that had been sucked in during the 260 hours of run time. Guessing all the parts help reduce air pollution &...
  15. T

    Should there be any 'vacuum' detected before the fuel filter?

    Just finished a couple of days troubleshooting zero turn with partial loss of torque in heavy grass. Problem was due to partial blockage of air into fuel tank that showed up only under heavy load. Thinking that it was probably causing a lean fuel condition even under light load & just...