I like Orange. The BX2380 is being considered.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Whatever you buy, get/make install a filter where the fuel goes in !!!!!
I'm entirely new to diesel. Would you elaborate more clearly to my newness? Are you referring to adding a screen below the fuel filler cap, or a filter somewhere further down the line? I'm open to suggestions!!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Congratulations on your new tractor. You didn’t let any grass grow under your feet.

You might look into protecting the HST cooling fan to save headache down the road.

If it’s not too late, consider getting the rear tires filled with some ballast. Whatever flavor of kool-aid your dealer uses (gets paid the most to promote) as long as it’s not salt water, “calcium” they like to call it.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Congratulations on your new tractor. You didn’t let any grass grow under your feet.

You might look into protecting the HST cooling fan to save headache down the road.

If it’s not too late, consider getting the rear tires filled with some ballast. Whatever flavor of kool-aid your dealer uses (gets paid the most to promote) as long as it’s not salt water, “calcium” they like to call it.
No Sir. Thanks.

I'm very interested in any and all tips. Preventative or otherwise. Everything is appreciated. Please elaborate with more info regarding the HST Cooling fan.

I did not ask about the wheel Ballast, although it is included. I'll be sure to inquire what type of liquid it is. Definitely NO Calcium will be in them.

Thanks for the info!!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
No Sir. Thanks.

I'm very interested in any and all tips. Preventative or otherwise. Everything is appreciated. Please elaborate with more info regarding the HST Cooling fan.

I did not ask about the wheel Ballast, although it is included. I'll be sure to inquire what type of liquid it is. Definitely NO Calcium will be in them.

Thanks for the info!!
You are welcome.

You can do a quick Google search, or search this site about the HST fan woes. It is in a location that is likely to get damaged by sticks and when it gets damaged, the labor to get to it it something like hours for a relatively inexpensive plastic fan. There is an aftermarket protective belly pan that can be installed as long as the mid mount mower is not installed. I’m sure one of the folks on this site that have the BX can chime in with the name of the product and the cost to replace the fan. I’ve read it hearon, but it was before today, lol. Not having a BX myself, I just had a passing interest in the matter when I read it the last few times it’s come up. IIRC it’s come up in the last two months or so.

Oh, check the front differential fluid level, preferably at the dealer before they deliver it to you. Reportedly folk have been taking delivery of BXs and Bs recently that were some quarts low on fluid straight from the dealer. Probably two treads on that in the last month.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You are welcome.

You can do a quick Google search, or search this site about the HST fan woes. It is in a location that is likely to get damaged by sticks and when it gets damaged, the labor to get to it it something like hours for a relatively inexpensive plastic fan. There is an aftermarket protective belly pan that can be installed as long as the mid mount mower is not installed. I’m sure one of the folks on this site that have the BX can chime in with the name of the product and the cost to replace the fan. I’ve read it hearon, but it was before today, lol. Not having a BX myself, I just had a passing interest in the matter when I read it the last few times it’s come up. IIRC it’s come up in the last two months or so.

Oh, check the front differential fluid level, preferably at the dealer before they deliver it to you. Reportedly folk have been taking delivery of BXs and Bs recently that were some quarts low on fluid straight from the dealer. Probably two treads on that in the last month.
I did a G-search and found BXpanded to make the Belly Pan. Great suggestion. The Hydro fluid not being topped off, seems to be a thing. My green one had the same lack of being up to where it should have been. Thanks for the reminder!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm entirely new to diesel. Would you elaborate more clearly to my newness? Are you referring to adding a screen below the fuel filler cap, or a filter somewhere further down the line? I'm open to suggestions!!
There's a Messicks video on it somewhere. It's a coffee can filter that goes in the filler neck. If you get gunk in the tank it's a right bear to clean it out, ounce of prevention and all that. Not that I've actually done it on my B2601 (or on my old BX), but it's a good idea.

Congratulations on the machine. My tips for the day:
  • Get the hang of safety. The BX is immensely stable. Until it's not.
  • Always ballast when using the loader. I prefer a ballast box. The front axle is on a pivot - it provides no stability. If your rear wheels are light you can tip over on dead flat ground. Also, never carry loads high in the loader - with the loader high with even a light load, going round a corner at moderate speed will put you on your side
  • When on hillsides, especially sideways, go slow. Something that's perfectly safe when creeping can tip you over with a bit of speed and dropping a wheel into a hole.
  • Plenty of stories of guys who are dead from a tractor rollover. My first few years I didn't take it seriously. But it is. They're surprisingly dangerous.
  • Anything that the tractor touches, the tractor breaks. If you don't want to get used to fixing things, take care what you drive near. I never mow with the loader on, the loader bangs into landscaping, the side of the house, other stuff. I broke a post by touching it with the rear tire when I got too close. They're small, but they're surprisingly strong (or your landscaping and house are surprisingly fragile, depending on how you see it)
  • On the BX most people pull the deck out sideways when they take it off. I used to take mine off on the lawn, and pulling it off sideways didn't work well. But, if you leave the loader on you can lift the front wheels high enough to skid the deck out forwards, leaving enough room to put the wheels down on the ground again behind it. I found that much easier
  • I also suspect you could drive over the non-drive over deck pretty safely. They're strong. My B2601 is a drive over deck (but not the auto-attach system). There's nothing special about it, you just drive over it. I probably wouldn't do it with the loader on, but with a ballast box on the back and the loader off the front wheels would be pretty light.
  • When you want to do delicate loader work, run with low revs. Gives you much more finesse
  • Mark all the major bolts with a cross with a market pen - so you can see if any of them have moved. Easier than checking them for tightness regularly
  • Get some forks if you can. They're cheap and super useful

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Welcome to the asylum.

Good advice above.

I did not see forks on that list.

I'm sort of a noob too, but if they make dedicated forks for that one, those would be at the top of my list.

Reactions: 1 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I love my BX. It's exactly what I wanted, but I used a TG1860 for 15yrs before buying it, so knew EXACTLY the limitations of a small machine.

Wait until Hagrid weighs in on this thread! (LOL)

Make sure to research ALL SPECS to insure it's exactly to your needs (and future needs)
❤

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: fuel screen . Fits in the neck of the tank to keep the 'rocks and chickens out'. Some use mason jar cold brew coffee filters( cheap in USA...) , I use a $store 'sink strainer'...

re: ballast. If you're cutting grass you generally do not want ballast( or the loader....). ballast solution is to add a 'carryall' to the 3PH. You make a box for a skid, fill with heavy stuff, backup and lift skid, then do loader work. When done, lower 3PH, slide off skid of weight. Tractor's happy, you're happy.

re: HST fan. Since 2018 they've had factory installed guards. I thought about the 'under belly armour' but from the pictures some use the MMM lift parts to attach ! designed my own version, never installed. been all over the neighbour's properties(yes, you CAN bet a TLB stuck.....), ZERO damage to the HST fan. BTW MMM would make a good 'armour plate', just low to the ground.....

re: front axle. yes, 99.44% of them are LOW in oil....

re: greasing. Buy a new 'dedicated' grease gun and always START with the Zerk under the floor mat for the foot pedal.

re: pallet forks. BEST option you can buy !! I use them 50% of the time. TRICKY to get used to as the loader controls aren't smooooooth like my forklift.,but you'll get better over time.

re: 'making the deal'...get dealer to toss in the '50 hour' inspection/fluid changes. That's the most important one so if HE screws up, HE owes you a new tractor......

re: filters. Buy 2 air filters and 2 fuel filters. Depending on conditions, the air filter can get dirty real quick ! Always nice to have a clean spare on Sunday afternoon.....

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
PaulL gave you some good advice.

Forks - absolutely ! (#2)
(#1 for me was front snowblower, but I'm weird that way--living in the snowbelt)

For the deck, personally, I found it easier to just hook a common 15' towstrap to it and while standing up, pull it through(under) the machine. Same for removal. I just found it too hard on my hands and knees down on my gravel driveway to muscle it out by hand (no tools/straps) as that sucker is 200#'s or more and doesn't slide easily on the wheels (which are pointed 90* the wrong way for installation/removal).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No Sir. Thanks.

Thanks for the info!!
To look for cooling fan protection, you might look at the website for: custommodsspecialtyrepairs.com.
They make some really fine modifications for our Kubota tractors.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
re: fuel screen . Fits in the neck of the tank to keep the 'rocks and chickens out'. Some use mason jar cold brew coffee filters( cheap in USA...) , I use a $store 'sink strainer'...

re: ballast. If you're cutting grass you generally do not want ballast( or the loader....). ballast solution is to add a 'carryall' to the 3PH. You make a box for a skid, fill with heavy stuff, backup and lift skid, then do loader work. When done, lower 3PH, slide off skid of weight. Tractor's happy, you're happy.

re: HST fan. Since 2018 they've had factory installed guards. I thought about the 'under belly armour' but from the pictures some use the MMM lift parts to attach ! designed my own version, never installed. been all over the neighbour's properties(yes, you CAN bet a TLB stuck.....), ZERO damage to the HST fan. BTW MMM would make a good 'armour plate', just low to the ground.....

re: front axle. yes, 99.44% of them are LOW in oil....

re: greasing. Buy a new 'dedicated' grease gun and always START with the Zerk under the floor mat for the foot pedal.

re: pallet forks. BEST option you can buy !! I use them 50% of the time. TRICKY to get used to as the loader controls aren't smooooooth like my forklift.,but you'll get better over time.

re: 'making the deal'...get dealer to toss in the '50 hour' inspection/fluid changes. That's the most important one so if HE screws up, HE owes you a new tractor......

re: filters. Buy 2 air filters and 2 fuel filters. Depending on conditions, the air filter can get dirty real quick ! Always nice to have a clean spare on Sunday afternoon.....
All great info. Knowledge is a good thing to have. While I'm not "new" to running equipment, I'm sure (like any) these small tractors have a learning curve of their own. That will come with time in the seat, which will happen. All you shared comes to play, for an uneventful day. I've always gotten the hard copy SMs and TMs, as I did with this unit. The salesman offered the digital (I despise scrolling manuals that are not "linked within and clickable) at no charge, but that hard copy is indispensable in the shop and great reading material while relaxing.

Thanks for your taking the time here, sharing. I'm sure this thread, I'll be revisiting for quite some time down the road.

Cheers(y)

One more thing I would like to ask, relative to pre-(shake the salesman hand, thank you) delivery. I'm curious things I should be checking, watching, making sure the tractor is at its best mechanical, serviced state and operability before acceptance of taking the keys. I want to be sure everything is in order, due to the distance I am to take the unit back for something minor which never got checked. Should I create another thread, for better exposure and response, or is my mention here enough?

Thanks again.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Of course, lots of people find the BX line perfectly suited. However, something to keep in mind that even a jump to a B gives a lot more capacity. That's important if a grapple or pallet forks are in your future. And ... nobody upgrades to a BX which can hurt your pocket book if you decide a BX is too small.

One more thing to keep in mind is that JD and Kubota overlap model sizes and don't directly compete. That's something to keep in mind when comparing. The JD1025R is between the BX and B on size/capability. Lots of people think the 1025R is a perfect size. By comparison, that would make the BX ... too small.

There are lot of comparison videos on YouTube. Check them out if you haven't already.

Have fun shopping.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Check the fluid level on the front axle. Many Bx's seem to be coming from the factory, low.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I already have a back blade, box blade, rock rake, aerator, dethatcher, ballast box, boom-pole, wheel-weights, suitcase weights, lawn roller, and two garden trailers, and I'm sure I'm missing some things. LOL
Sounds like a pretty good assortment.
Other things to consider: A BXpanded 'Under armor' to protect the hydro cooling fan when the mower is off; and the BXpanded Pirahna Bar for the FEL. I have both, and they're very worthwhile. You should also consider adding the "coffee Filter" to the fuel filler. It'll help keep extraneous debris out of the tank.

Some folks will recommend the fuel filter relocation kit, but I'm really not sure it's worthwhile. Kubota only recommends checking it every 50 hours, and only replacing it every 400 hours, so...

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
@Trimley search the forum for @JeremyBX2200 posts. He does some amazing things with his BX. And congratulations on the purchase.
Thanks. Not sure what I do is always advisable, but I have hurt neither the tractor or myself yet. :ROFLMAO:

My BX2200 has been able to do everything I need it to do on my 5 acre property. There are times when it would have been faster with a bigger machine, but since I enjoy tractor work the added time is fine.

I bought mine used for a good deal and it included the MMM. If I was buying new, I probably wouldn't have spent the $$ on it. I do mow with mine, so I would have probably purchased a rear PTO mower of some kind.

I have added a toothbar, boxblade and FEL bolt-on hooks. I only till a couple of times a year, so I just rent one when I need it.

It has saved my back countless times and is one of the best purchases I have made. A backhoe on it would have been handy, but pretty pricey. I ended up going with a towable backhoe. It fits my needs okay.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users