3 Point Quick Hitch Suggestions

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
So far my ONLY concern with the Pat's is that the lower pins on the implements aren't sitting square and flat on the Pat's's hooks. I'm thinking maybe that between washers and bushings on the implements, I shouldn't worry about the lack of square and flat?
You're not crazy. It's how the pat's hitch hitch works... the 3 pt hitch is designed with balls in that move up and down with the implement pins, but pats attaches static hooks to them so as you raise or lower the hitch, they tilt to the side. What you want to do is attach them to be square, level and plumb at the height the implement will be used in operation... when you raise it up a lot, you'll see them tilt and possibly bind, but normally there is enough play to allow that on the pins. Still, the tilting hooks were wearing on my boxblade... I think after a while, it would become a problem.

It might be fine on a BX or B, but it doesn't hold up with heavy boxblade usage on a bigger tractor. Literally the doubled nuts script through the threads and pop off as you're doing heavy duty grading. The bolts eat into the hitch arms...you keep tightening the bolts and they loosen as they keep wearing the hitch and themselves. They do have a weld on version that is probably better, but it must be a nightmare to install square not cocked (both sides matching).

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I checked out a landpride HQ15 and does appear the play is low, however they want $650+ tax for it! Then I still need to buy $40 bushings...plus I don't think it will work with my brush cutter as the pin is 'too deep' for the top link. Either way, that's almost 1k for bushings and hitch...........way too expensive.

I'm leaning toward $300 speeco e hitch + deeper hook addon at EA. My only concern is if the top hook accept 1 1/4 pin and how bad is the play on the lower links. I want to tilt grade with a boxblade, so having lots of slop wont be good.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I
I checked out a landpride HQ15 and does appear the play is low, however they want $650+ tax for it! Then I still need to buy $40 bushings...plus I don't think it will work with my brush cutter as the pin is 'too deep' for the top link. Either way, that's almost 1k for bushings and hitch...........way too expensive.

I'm leaning toward $300 speeco e hitch + deeper hook addon at EA. My only concern is if the top hook accept 1 1/4 pin and how bad is the play on the lower links. I want to tilt grade with a boxblade, so having lots of slop wont be good.
Im going to talk to my dealer about the QH16. It is the same design as the QH15, but with true Cat 1 implement connections, so no bushings. Given the design, I’m guessing it will be similar in cost to the QH15. The only downside is I’m guessing I’ll be waiting a while for it.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Local dealer says all the QH15's he ordered never came in on time and kubota sent email they would be sending QH16 instead. There is no ETA about it.

I called some other dealers and they mostly don't have QH15 in stock anymore. Some were completely clueless about it, saying 'you don't have to use bushings' and 'it should work just fine with a brush cutter.' I guess they just sit around and collect pay without having to know anything...come on at least they should say 'I'm not sure, but can look into it' instead of making up a story in my face. One dealer was like, 'now where are you located? how about you come in and take a look at it yourself.' As if I have time to drive around dealerships all day shopping for a quick hitch....

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
You could always go with a Euro hitch. These do need to get welded on, and you do need implement balls for each implement. Being a ball type design, they allow for full contact at any adjustment that the hitch can have.

Sort of an improved version of the Pat's type ends with a top link end also available. :cool:

Just something else to consider. :unsure:

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Papa V

Equipment
L4240 Land Pride Box Blade, Land Pride Disc, HLA Snowplow, EA WRR Grapple
Aug 4, 2022
Michigan
I have no first hand experience with the Pat's ot the speeco. I was able to find a dealer with new QH15s for under $550. I was able to find bushings for 10 bucks a side so add $20 for each implement and to me it's worth it for the quality of the Land Pride QH. The QH16 should be as tight on a Cat 1 pin as the QH15 is on the Cat 3 so it should work great. My 2 cents is go with quality. if it means 20 bucks an implement that's chump change compared to what we have into these things.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Maybe this will help... speeco e-hitch

Top with 1-1/4" bushing

top hook1.JPG

top hook measure

top hook2.JPG

bottom hook with 1" bushing...doesn't fit

Bottom hook1.JPG

bottom hook measure:

Bottom hook2.JPG

There isn't much "slop" at all with standard sized implement pins. The handles aren't great but, what do you want for $300 in this economy?

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Local dealer says all the QH15's he ordered never came in on time and kubota sent email they would be sending QH16 instead. There is no ETA about it.

I called some other dealers and they mostly don't have QH15 in stock anymore. Some were completely clueless about it, saying 'you don't have to use bushings' and 'it should work just fine with a brush cutter.' I guess they just sit around and collect pay without having to know anything...come on at least they should say 'I'm not sure, but can look into it' instead of making up a story in my face. One dealer was like, 'now where are you located? how about you come in and take a look at it yourself.' As if I have time to drive around dealerships all day shopping for a quick hitch....
My dealer has a QH15 on a tractor sitting on the lot. No idea if it’s already sold, but I’ll ask him about that and the QH16 when I get a chance to go in. At the moment, only my aerator doesn’t fit my current QH05. I’ve wanted to upgrade to a heavier duty quick hitch, but I’m not in a rush luckily. I’ll let you know what I get for a response. May reach out to a couple other dealers in the area to see what they say.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Maybe this will help... speeco e-hitch

Top with 1-1/4" bushing

View attachment 86298

top hook measure

View attachment 86299

bottom hook with 1" bushing...doesn't fit

View attachment 86300

bottom hook measure:

View attachment 86301

There isn't much "slop" at all with standard sized implement pins. The handles aren't great but, what do you want for $300 in this economy?
Perfect thank you! I ended up calling EA today and got same answer. 1 3/8 inch for the top (for both e hitch and the black normal one with bushings), so a cat 2 pin of 1 1/4 or cat 2 at 3/4 will fit. The bottoms I think are 7/8, basically both top and bottom have an extra 1/8 play in the hook. I'm leaning towards getting it for $320, but still weary of the slop. I've seen the land pride QH15 and it seemed pretty right with the bushing. You don't have any concerns about it being loose at the bottom?

The QH15 is 650+ tax from where it's available locally within 2 hour drive (+ gas money if it's not near you). You can find it for 550 online in other dealers, but then you must pay shipping that breaks the difference. I did find that you can get bushings for $10-20...much cheaper than $40 that dealer wants.

Popgadget

Equipment
L6060
Mar 11, 2020
PA
I’ve got a QH15 and am happy with it. I did use some cheap bushings from TSC for some implements. I had two old non standard ones, a King Kutter 84” box scraper from the late 70”s and a ballast box of similar vintage. I cut the lower ears off of them, fabricated new ones and welded them on in the right locations, with a hydraulic top link, it would be rare to ever get out of the seat changing implements now. I think that there is only one thing that requires moving the top hook, and that is a trailer hitch receiver.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Found some videos that compare how the lower pins lock on the speeco. In short, the QH15 is a tight connection (also videos showing this) and the handles/ locking mechanism is just better. Worth double the price? IDK, probably not, but I'm starting to think I may have regrets and saving 300 may not be worth it long term. There is a good 1/4 inch play with the speeco at the bottom lift arm pins with either model (bushing or not).

The speeco e hitch is red and kinda clashes with kubota orange too. Most QH15's are kubota orange. Also, the speeco (and other quick hitches) have more metal gussets on the inside corners. It looks unnecessarily bulkier and though it might not be a problem, I'd rather have less blocking my view and accessibility to the PTO. Ignoring functionality, the land pride hitch just looks better quality built and I'd rather see that than the speeco, which is kinda brute looking. No one knows where it's made...very likely china and just recently a batch arrived to many dealers, so it's very much in stock.

Another idea I had was try to find a QH15 cheaper since it's discontinued. Once QH16s roll into dealer lots, no one will want a QH15...

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Update: Found out dealers are expecting QH16's in December or January. Cost will be 780 with floating top link and 750 without (up from 650)...before tax....DAM that's a lot of money for a quick hitch.........

Also kinda pointless to get a QH16, when you can get a QH15 for 100+ less... that's up to 10 sets of bushings....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There are several issues mixed-together in this thread.

1- “Specifications” for 3-pt hitch implements.
YEs… in recent decades there have been developed “specifications” as far as pin width and top-link height. BUT…. the 3-pt hitch was invented by Harry Ferguson in the late 1920s and he and Henry Ford had a ”handshake” agreement to share in the profits from sale of its use on N-Ford tractors. It was a HUGE improvement in that it allowed the use of multiple implements to be attached/removed from the tractor with simplified hook-ups and also allowed the use of a PTO driveshaft.
HOWEVER…the handshake agreement was violated by Ford and Harry decided to make his own tractors using his 3-pt invention….and he had to sue Ford for patent/contract infringement… which took almost 3 decades for settlement at which point every tractor and implement maker in the world had adopted the system and Harry and Ford ended up closing the lawsuit with a pittance payment. Harry was screwed out of the best and most-utilized system in the world that is still virtually universal. (Even the Euro system borrows from it.) The problem is not so much that implements haven’t conformed to their “standard”….as much as the “standard” is not very useful due to the decades of implement and tractor manufacturing that has gone on in the meantime that did not meet the so-called “standard”.

2-Quick-Htich
The Speeco type QH is now made by everybody’s brother and his chink …. and couch-potatoes who want to spend their couching on tractor-seats too lazy to get off and attach implements….or even to get off and install ONE TOP PIN…. or fail to remember they may also have to install a PTO driveshaft wants to complain about it.

The REAL problem as I see it is that we’ve created a problem on TOP of a solution with the QH/Pats/Euro/JD/AC hitch designs. Harry’s original design already IS the best solution as it easily adapts to each and every implement design existing….. the only problem is the tractor-operator who cannot BACK UP to the implement in perfect alignment. I am one of those.

If we could back up to that heavy implement in perfect alignment and pick up the lower arms and slip them onto the implement pins LEFT AND RIGHT both being perfectly the same distance from the tractor…. there’d be little problem for those of us willing to simply get OFF THE SEAT and take a few steps. (Gotta do that ANYWAY if you have a PTO right?)

The lower arms which have “sliding” pin-ends with lever-clips (which Pats copied in their design) would be a huge help. OTHERWISE if all those heavy implements we have were sitting on CASTERS so we could easily manuever them into perfect alignment with the lower arms so we could just attach the lynch-pins… then there’d be no problem, as far as I can see. (Of course, that would assume…(that word)…. we could all have the luxury of storing implements on concrete so we could maneuver castering pallets. Most people I know simply drop their implements on the ground somewhere…but if you are one of those people fortunate enough to be able to store your stuff indoors….on a flat floor…. a castering storage-pallet might also help you store them over in the corner and roll them out to the tractor when you want to attach them.) ;)

So my solution is to ether Park all my implements on a castering-pallet-dolly (for example, my finish mower has rollers/wheels at all four points ….sorta like being on it’s own castering-dolly….. which makes installing it a breeze. Of course I have to get my butt off the damn tractor seat …but I have to do that anyway to attach the PTO. DOH. You tractor-seat-potatoes won’t like this idea of a castering-implement-pallet.)

In conjunction with lower-arm sliding pin-latches…… would be the Best Solution, in my opinion.

Unfortunately my 1996 tractor has plain lower arms and I just wish their aft ball-ends would slide-and-latch like later models offered. There was a participant in these forums who had a set I thought might replace my originals…but he sold them before I could get the measurements. I don’t know if Kubota or anyone makes any aftermarket lower arms with sliding attach-clip-ends.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ALL '3ph' setups are a PITA to connect/disconnect unless you're on a huge concrete pad, it's just 'the way it is'. Fortunately my big tractors are all Allis-Chalmers and use their 'Snap-Coupler' setup. Every implement easily attaches to every tractor without having to get off. I don't even have to adjust the 3btm plow if swapping to anothe rtractor. I've even converted my 3ph tiller to Snap-Coupler.
Technically it is a better 3pt system but Fergy's 3ph kinda 'won the war' based upon numbers.

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
There are several issues mixed-together in this thread.

1- “Specifications” for 3-pt hitch implements.
YEs… in recent decades there have been developed “specifications” as far as pin width and top-link height. BUT…. the 3-pt hitch was invented by Harry Ferguson in the late 1920s and he and Henry Ford had a ”handshake” agreement to share in the profits from sale of its use on N-Ford tractors. It was a HUGE improvement in that it allowed the use of multiple implements to be attached/removed from the tractor with simplified hook-ups and also allowed the use of a PTO driveshaft.
HOWEVER…the handshake agreement was violated by Ford and Harry decided to make his own tractors using his 3-pt invention….and he had to sue Ford for patent/contract infringement… which took almost 3 decades for settlement at which point every tractor and implement maker in the world had adopted the system and Harry and Ford ended up closing the lawsuit with a pittance payment. Harry was screwed out of the best and most-utilized system in the world that is still virtually universal. (Even the Euro system borrows from it.) The problem is not so much that implements haven’t conformed to their “standard”….as much as the “standard” is not very useful due to the decades of implement and tractor manufacturing that has gone on in the meantime that did not meet the so-called “standard”.

2-Quick-Htich
The Speeco type QH is now made by everybody’s brother and his chink …. and couch-potatoes who want to spend their couching on tractor-seats too lazy to get off and attach implements….or even to get off and install ONE TOP PIN…. or fail to remember they may also have to install a PTO driveshaft wants to complain about it.

The REAL problem as I see it is that we’ve created a problem on TOP of a solution with the QH/Pats/Euro/JD/AC hitch designs. Harry’s original design already IS the best solution as it easily adapts to each and every implement design existing….. the only problem is the tractor-operator who cannot BACK UP to the implement in perfect alignment. I am one of those.

If we could back up to that heavy implement in perfect alignment and pick up the lower arms and slip them onto the implement pins LEFT AND RIGHT both being perfectly the same distance from the tractor…. there’d be little problem for those of us willing to simply get OFF THE SEAT and take a few steps. (Gotta do that ANYWAY if you have a PTO right?)

The lower arms which have “sliding” pin-ends with lever-clips (which Pats copied in their design) would be a huge help. OTHERWISE if all those heavy implements we have were sitting on CASTERS so we could easily manuever them into perfect alignment with the lower arms so we could just attach the lynch-pins… then there’d be no problem, as far as I can see. (Of course, that would assume…(that word)…. we could all have the luxury of storing implements on concrete so we could maneuver castering pallets. Most people I know simply drop their implements on the ground somewhere…but if you are one of those people fortunate enough to be able to store your stuff indoors….on a flat floor…. a castering storage-pallet might also help you store them over in the corner and roll them out to the tractor when you want to attach them.) ;)

So my solution is to ether Park all my implements on a castering-pallet-dolly (for example, my finish mower has rollers/wheels at all four points ….sorta like being on it’s own castering-dolly….. which makes installing it a breeze. Of course I have to get my butt off the damn tractor seat …but I have to do that anyway to attach the PTO. DOH. You tractor-seat-potatoes won’t like this idea of a castering-implement-pallet.)

In conjunction with lower-arm sliding pin-latches…… would be the Best Solution, in my opinion.

Unfortunately my 1996 tractor has plain lower arms and I just wish their aft ball-ends would slide-and-latch like later models offered. There was a participant in these forums who had a set I thought might replace my originals…but he sold them before I could get the measurements. I don’t know if Kubota or anyone makes any aftermarket lower arms with sliding attach-clip-ends.
I am one of those fortunate people who has everything in a building, on a flat concrete floor and have everything on a dolly or custom made dolly. The quick hitch still makes attaching easier. My time is important, and when I need to use two or three implements in the process of completing my tasks, that 5+ minutes it takes each time I need to switch between implements is worth every penny of expense for the quick hitch to save that 10-20 minutes of my time. I still generally need to hop off the machine to move attachments out of the way and roll the next up, but it is much faster with the quick hitch as opposed to not having it.

Im not a couch potato, I’m someone who works 50+ hours a week, has a family and enjoys maintaining my property. Maybe you have time to mess around connecting implements, if so, great for you. I don’t as I usually have limited time to get my stuff done.

Maybe next time add some constructive feedback to the question or ignore it all together. No one needs to be criticized for asking a question just because you don’t agree with the topic.

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
Hmmm...

I'm having an aha! and doh! moment all at once. I have two "garages", one has a concrete floor. Based on the last couple of posts (thanks!), I'm thinking my truck and tractor can live without a concrete floor, and my implements should get the concrete. hmmm...

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Depending on the size, but some furniture dollys from harbor freight and move them around. If they are larger, make some dollys with casters and lumber. I have my chipper and aerator on custom dollys while everything else is on furniture dollys.

I need to build one for my loader so I have one for when the front blower goes on for the winter and the loader comes off.