Where’s my pond algae?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Been warm, and usually algae takes over, and offers the gold fish some protection from the blue herons.

This year not so. Still no algae and almost no gold fish either. The pond is about 80 feet by 50 feet. Spring fed. I think the herons just about cleaned out the gold fish. Pond is not deep and actually less deep than 20 years ago due to accumulated sediment.

Nothing changed here as far as I know.

Why no algae? It’s been more than warm enough for it to take over. Puzzle at this end…

edit: Also seems there are less frogs too.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Been warm, and usually algae takes over, and offers the gold fish some protection from the blue herons.

This year not so. Still no algae and almost no gold fish either. The pond is about 80 feet by 50 feet. Spring fed. I think the herons just about cleaned out the gold fish. Pond is not deep and actually less deep than 20 years ago due to accumulated sediment.

Why no algae? It’s been more than warm enough for it to take over. Puzzle at this end…

Deepen the pond and add some rocks and other cover in the deep areas for the fish. IDK why no algae; usually that’s a good thing.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My guess, the price of fertilizer.

Across the board it has seen huge price increase so many are forgoing or reducing the amount being used. As such, there is less to run into the streams, ponds, etc. so then there is less nitrogen for increasing the algae blooms.

If everything else is the same, that is the only thing that comes to mind that has been known to influence growth.

Yet, I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn and I am not a scientist of any kind. Although my wife does tell me that I'm a smart ***

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Lucky you, I've been fighting filimentrious algae (horsehair algae) in my 3/4 acre pond since March. Pond dye, Cutrine, cottonseed meal and beneficial bacteria are slowly bringing it under control

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Lucky you, I've been fighting filimentrious algae (horsehair algae) in my 3/4 acre pond since March. Pond dye, Cutrine, cottonseed meal and beneficial bacteria are slowly bringing it under control
Captain helped me with that crap last year.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio

I have a acre pond, about 3 hours from your profile location. No algae but huge increase in Frogs and the like. Seems like easy winter aided i. Bigger bugs too and more snakes.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Where my pond sits, little chance of getting fertilizer in it due to run off, as I don’t use any and probably all run off that gets into the pond is from my property.

Also noticed a lot less frogs this year than usual.

Only fish are/were gold fish and some others that ended up in there, maybe from eggs carried on duck or geese feet. No clue there. Used to be maybe 1,000 or more gold fish in there. I’m sure they were fished out this winter/spring by the herons. Now very few Remain.

It will be interesting to see if the algae takes over in the coming weeks.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
When the water warms up its hard to stop, I put in a nighttime bubbler, sand filter, UV light and Citron, but I know it's only time before it warms up. Yes, it is a small pond, 40ft.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might think about a floating mat or something for the fish to hide under and give then some shade

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You might think about a floating mat or something for the fish to hide under and give then some shade
Strange, I just got a notice that I was ignoring Skeets, which I am not as far as I know, especially since we are local to each other somewhat, and I assume native born Western Pennsylvanians...so at least distant cousins.

What's up with that I don't know. I had to click on the post Skeets made to view it. Never saw that before...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH NO I AM BEING ignored,,, LMAO I been married 2 times so being ignored is second nature to me ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
OH NO I AM BEING ignored,,, LMAO I been married 2 times so being ignored is second nature to me ;)
LOL. I guess I should ask the wolfman what is happening...same thing when I viewed the last post by Skeets...said I am ignoring him, but I ain't...not intentionally anyway...

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
LOL. I guess I should ask the wolfman what is happening...same thing when I viewed the last post by Skeets...said I am ignoring him, but I ain't...not intentionally anyway...
Click on his name, unblock the ignore button under his name

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
On the top right, if you click on your icon next to the envelop, it will open a menu. Go down to Ignore and click and it will bring up th elist of who you are ignoring.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Click on his name, unblock the ignore button under his name
OK, amazingly to me, I could not find any posts by Skeets. I did a search, and it came up with pages of posts, but nothing appeared but blank space...

Then I did come up with a thread that showed Skeets name, and did the cancel ignore issue, which I assume will put things back to normal...

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 users

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
My guess, the price of fertilizer.

Across the board it has seen huge price increase so many are forgoing or reducing the amount being used. As such, there is less to run into the streams, ponds, etc. so then there is less nitrogen for increasing the algae blooms.

If everything else is the same, that is the only thing that comes to mind that has been known to influence growth.

Yet, I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn and I am not a scientist of any kind. Although my wife does tell me that I'm a smart ***
Right on. Neighbor (uphill) had a septic issue ~2yrs ago. Opposite problem now. Can't hardly fish for over bloom now. So bad thinking a fountain and copper crystals. Maybe real heavy dye to restrict light. For the op. Is draining an option? Dig it out and rock part like said. Old tree tops make good cover to. An extended reach trackhoe could dig a lot of it out without draining. Could just dump rocks in. Big ones. Like 6" clean or larger.

Tipper

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525, Landpride rear blade
Feb 10, 2018
South Dakota
I'd be interested to know exactly what you have been using as we have a terrible filimentous algae problem in our pond since last year. I think at least a little bit may be due to the water table around here getting pretty low in recent years (the pond is spring fed) so not as much water is passing through and out the creek.
Also starting last year, we have the little larvae (?) that cause swimmer's itch! So no more floating in the pond. :( And pulling the algae out by hand is a little less appealing! Someone told us to get lily pads in there. Okay... meanwhile??

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'd be interested to know exactly what you have been using as we have a terrible filimentous algae problem in our pond since last year. I think at least a little bit may be due to the water table around here getting pretty low in recent years (the pond is spring fed) so not as much water is passing through and out the creek.
Also starting last year, we have the little larvae (?) that cause swimmer's itch! So no more floating in the pond. :( And pulling the algae out by hand is a little less appealing! Someone told us to get lily pads in there. Okay... meanwhile??
When I said algae I was referring to stuff that turns the water green, but is not really a solid that can be pulled out or even touched, other than seeing it...did I use the wrong term?