Lil Help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

carheir

Equipment
Kubota 2610SU HSD
Jan 11, 2021
NC
Im sure this has been asked and answered but here goes, Is there any way to enhance the dip stick for the hydraulic oil or the front axel oil level to where old eyes can see exactly where the oil level is.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
John Deere green hydraulic fluid DYE.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Several have recommended adding the hydraulic dye to it so that you can see it easier on the stick.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Just a footnote, was looking at an old thread and noticed this posted in that thread:

Called Kubota, and Technical Support Team says, yes that it "could" void the warranty. Initially and ultimately, its up to the dealer, but Kubota says (suggests) not to add anything to the fluid.
So this means that I will not be adding any dye, while under warranty. I will also do as UpNorthMI suggested.
I guess it would also be prudent to drain and refill, when the unit is cold and the three point is lowered.
Called Kubota, and Technical Support Team says, yes that it "could" void the warranty. Initially and ultimately, its up to the dealer, but Kubota says (suggests) not to add anything to the fluid.
So this means that I will not be adding any dye, while under warranty. I will also do as UpNorthMI suggested.
I guess it would also be prudent to drain and refill, when the unit is cold and the three point is lowered.

Hydraulic Fluid Dye | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
They’d have to prove dye caused the failure and isn’t it strange that other tractors don’t “fail” because of simple dye that is purposely designed to be added to hydraulic fluid.

“Tigers and Lions and Bears! Oh MY!”

Kubota and Warranty and DYE! OH MY!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Im sure this has been asked and answered but here goes, Is there any way to enhance the dip stick for the hydraulic oil or the front axel oil level to where old eyes can see exactly where the oil level is.
I do not use dye, but I do use a paper towel. I place the dip stick on the paper and see the oil wick onto the paper, so I can see where the level is.

I think I have also just used a finger on the hand not holding the dip stick and got the same satisfactory result...

Reactions: 1 user

saskydude

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH70, HLA 1500, K54-22-06. PFL-1242
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
I saw GP Outdoors use a white rag or paper towel, ( I can't remember which), that worked well. Clean the stick, put it back in, then take it out and lay it flat on the absorbent white surface. The oil will be soaked up and you'll see the level when you lift the stick off of the surface.

oldguy

Equipment
BX2360, brush hog, chipper, loader, 60"mmm
Nov 14, 2015
Athens, PA
Dip stick on my snow blower has a series of small holes that will fill with oil to see where the level is.

saskydude

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH70, HLA 1500, K54-22-06. PFL-1242
Nov 23, 2020
Saskatchewan, Canada
Dip stick on my snow blower has a series of small holes that will fill with oil to see where the level is.
I remember seeing a video on YouTube that showed a guy drilling holes in his dip stick for that same reason.

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
I used a black permanent marker on mine. Worked good for me an simple. Figured it would not last long but 2 years an its still there.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I drilled some small holes in one. I think you could rough it up with coarse sandpaper also.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wire-wheel....but not too long so as to polish it.... just to rought it up.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
They’d have to prove dye caused the failure and isn’t it strange that other tractors don’t “fail” because of simple dye that is purposely designed to be added to hydraulic fluid.
Kubota could refuse a warranty because of non-approved dye added to the oil, it is then up to the customer to prove that it did not.
Kubota is not going to approve an additive they have not tested.

Berry

Equipment
B7200HST B2551 Blower Scraper Flail Mower Chipper Log Splitter
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
First I want to thank OTT for resolving this issue for me. The older you get, the harder it usually is to see these things. I also struggled to read the HST oil dip stick, I mean really this should not be a problem for the end user. Kubota should have resolved this long ago. Clean clear fluid on a silver polished dip stick, dose not get any harder to read then that, especially for such a critical component.
I tried the cloth trick that GP uses and this kinda worked for me but fluid absorbs in all directions on the cloth so I did not find it as accurate as I thought it should be. The best solution I found for this was the black magic marker. This is perfectly clear for my old eyes to read. Yes dyed HST fluid would be better and a no brainer. The marker cost me nothing, guessing what you think you see could be very costly. I'm just surprised that this is even an issue. I think someone in the engineering department of Kubota missed thus one. Back to the drawing board ????

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Kubota could refuse a warranty because of non-approved dye added to the oil, it is then up to the customer to prove that it did not.
Kubota is not going to approve an additive they have not tested.
That’s incorrect tiger. Nothing in the warranty prohibits using products other than genuine Kubota. It’s no different than using Exxon versus Chevron diesel fuel... if the Kubota takes a dump.... Kubota would have to prove the fluid/fuel/dye/air is what caused the problem.
While Kubota is not obligated to ”approve” any other mfr’s products... .... Kubota cannot require that only Kubota ”approved” supples be utilized exclusively....
BTDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That’s incorrect tiger. Nothing in the warranty prohibits using products other than genuine Kubota. It’s no different than using Exxon versus Chevron diesel fuel... if the Kubota takes a dump.... Kubota would have to prove the fluid/fuel/dye/air is what caused the problem.
While Kubota is not obligated to ”approve” any other mfr’s products... .... Kubota cannot require that only Kubota ”approved” supples be utilized exclusively....
BTDT
So add corn syrup to your fluid and it will be covered?

I think not. It will be up to Kubota. They can easily say you are running modified fluid.

If what you say is true, any fluid added should count and they should eat it? I don't think so. And they will prove nothing beyond saying it was modified.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
So add corn syrup to your fluid and it will be covered?

I think not. It will be up to Kubota. They can easily say you are running modified fluid.

If what you say is true, any fluid added should count and they should eat it? I don't think so. And they will prove nothing beyond saying it was modified.
Why would you want to post such an idiotic suggestion...??? You just like arguments, I guess.

Why don’t you put some Genuine Kubota Anti-freeze in your fuel tank and try making a warranty claim and see how far your intelligent decision-making gets you.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Why would you want to post such an idiotic suggestion...??? You just like arguments, I guess.

Why don’t you put some Genuine Kubota Anti-freeze in your fuel tank and try making a warranty claim and see how far your intelligent decision-making gets you.
YOU Geo were the one telling him Kubota will cover it and have to prove he did something unwarranted with it. Both statements were very wrong. Sorry for pointing out you were wrong. It is only argumentative if you want back pedal now and then retry the same bad statements. Your follow up actually proves the point.

To the OP - NEVER add ANYTHING GREEN to your Kubota - lol. It is not a physical thing, it is a karma thing.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
A warranty is only as good as the entity backing it. That's all I can say on that.

Anyway, I use a good LED flashlight to help see better.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I made a dipstick out of an Allen wrench and a shaft collar to make it easier to see the level. I keep it in the tractor tool box so it's handy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.