Rotary Cutter Width

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
The main rules / conventional wisdom things I see about rotary cutter width are: width as a function of PTO horsepower, 3 point lift capacity, and track width of your wheels. The first two make total sense, the third not so much.

I can see wanting to cut a path as wide as your tractor, but beyond the convenience, is there a good reason? I can see if you are doing it in reverse, the cutter will get everything that can possible hit the underside of the tractor.

I see getting a smaller one, a 48" for a LX2610, having advantages. Will not bog down in heavy stuff and make it easier to get it between things.

Thoughts?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Mowing next to a fence or building when trimming will be tough. It will be slower at covering larger areas.
As far as bogging down that is why you get a HST tractor. You go slow only when you need to go slow.

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
Mowing next to a fence or building when trimming will be tough. It will be slower at covering larger areas.
As far as bogging down that is why you get a HST tractor. You go slow only when you need to go slow.
I never though about the fence line problem. That makes getting a 60 inch much more logical. It may be too small with my big tire package.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I never though about the fence line problem. That makes getting a 60 inch much more logical. It may be too small with my big tire package.
Your 2610 is rated for a 48" rotary cutter weighing 500 Lbs. or less.

Be careful.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Check the tractor Owner's Manual.

48" and 500 Lbs.

The information that you linked is the Land Pride catalogue.

SDT
The implement limitations are a little subjective - 48" for a one blade mower and 72" for a two or three blade mower - a rough-cut mower typically has two blades and the stump-jumper.

Mower_Limitations.jpg

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The implement limitations are a little subjective - 48" for a one blade mower and 72" for a two or three blade mower - a rough-cut mower typically has two blades and the stump-jumper.

View attachment 50562
Referenced "2 or 3" blade mowers refer to 2 or 3 spindle finish mowers.

Referenced "1 Blade" rotary cutter refers to single spindle (yes, two swinging blades) rough cut mower.

SDT

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Check the tractor Owner's Manual.

48" and 500 Lbs.

The information that you linked is the Land Pride catalogue.

SDT
Correct, which is owned by Kubota and is directly on the Kubota website.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Correct, which is owned by Kubota and is directly on the Kubota website.
Agreed.

Land Pride is in business to sell implements, regardless of ownership.

I'll trust the tractor Owner's Manual rather than advertising information created by anyone.

You should trust whatever you like.

SDT

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
In the end, I am getting two, a 48 and a 60. The 48, a Frontier, is free from a friend that no longer needs it. I plan to get some 60 in the spring.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
In the end, I am getting two, a 48 and a 60. The 48, a Frontier, is free from a friend that no longer needs it. I plan to get some 60 in the spring.
Free is always good. I have a Frontier 60" cutter, which is OK. I like all of my Woods cutters better than the Frontier but one cannot go wrong with free.

Try to find a light weight model when you buy your 60" mower.

There are light duty 60" rough cut mowers weighing around 500 Lbs.

SDT

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When the size question arises there are things that you need to consider besides the hp of the tractor. It seams that the people come here are newcomers to the tractoring world. The lX2610 specs at 24.8 hp engine , 19.8 at the PTO, with a lifting capacity of 2139 at the lifting point and 1676 lbs at 24 inches behind the lifting point. Comparing the hp numbers to a L2501 they are almost identical. The difference is in the way the power is produced. Yet most on the forum run a 60 inch mower on the L2501.

That said I would not worry about putting a 60" mower behind the LX2610. If the tractor is set up correctly. The tractor should have as a safety margin either front weights or a front end loader mount on the unit. The minimum width is 53.7 inches so a wheel adjustment or spacers to spread the wheels would be helpful, so the width is near the 60 inches. And this will get the arguments started again, load the tires to lower the center of gravity.

Now would the tractor be a machine to mow a pasture once every 2 or 3 years? No, that would more than likely overwhelm the machine. But If you mowed the same pasture say 3 times a year it would be great.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When the size question arises there are things that you need to consider besides the hp of the tractor. It seams that the people come here are newcomers to the tractoring world. The lX2610 specs at 24.8 hp engine , 19.8 at the PTO, with a lifting capacity of 2139 at the lifting point and 1676 lbs at 24 inches behind the lifting point. Comparing the hp numbers to a L2501 they are almost identical. The difference is in the way the power is produced. Yet most on the forum run a 60 inch mower on the L2501.

That said I would not worry about putting a 60" mower behind the LX2610. If the tractor is set up correctly. The tractor should have as a safety margin either front weights or a front end loader mount on the unit. The minimum width is 53.7 inches so a wheel adjustment or spacers to spread the wheels would be helpful, so the width is near the 60 inches. And this will get the arguments started again, load the tires to lower the center of gravity.

Now would the tractor be a machine to mow a pasture once every 2 or 3 years? No, that would more than likely overwhelm the machine. But If you mowed the same pasture say 3 times a year it would be great.
The limiting factor is the design of the three point mechanism, especially the attachment points of the lower lift arms.

L series are more robust.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I thought that getting an HST tractor was more about not knowing how to correctly use a clutch and shift gears................:eek:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I thought that getting an HST tractor was more about not knowing how to correctly use a clutch and shift gears................:eek:
No a HST is much better for a lot of applications. Cultivating a garden, tiller work, lawn mowing, hay mowing and hay baling as well as other things all benefit from the ability to move slowly but still keep the RPMs up for power. I bailed thousands of square bales with a MF 1528 HST that worked well. When baling with larger JD and Fords the baler would load up and then you had to engage the clutch and wait for the baler to catch up. With the HST you could hear the baler start to load up and then reduce the ground speed to keep the bailer running without the pounding the bailer would take when it was overloading. Then increase the ground speed quickly with small windrows or turning to start then next windrow.

Several times I have found the low gear/ low ranger to be too quick on the NH TL80A even with low RPMs. A HST in a big tractor could be useful too.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Whether it’s right or wrong, I’ve had great luck with my 62” flail, 58” tiller, 60” land plane grader, and borrowed 60” bush hog.

All behind my little B2650.

In heavy grass, I’ll mow pert near full tilt in Low Range. If the grass is less than a foot tall, it blows through it in Medium Range. Speed limited by bumpiness. Mowing brush, I go slow because I can’t see what’s in there.
The only time I have had my tractor think about bogging down was in a grass field that was neglected between ownerships, and it should have been cut for hay two months ago... Waist high and thick. The field was just over an acre and took about 75 minutes to mow. Half the speed I’m used to.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No a HST is much better for a lot of applications. Cultivating a garden, tiller work, lawn mowing, hay mowing and hay baling as well as other things all benefit from the ability to move slowly but still keep the RPMs up for power. I bailed thousands of square bales with a MF 1528 HST that worked well. When baling with larger JD and Fords the baler would load up and then you had to engage the clutch and wait for the baler to catch up. With the HST you could hear the baler start to load up and then reduce the ground speed to keep the bailer running without the pounding the bailer would take when it was overloading. Then increase the ground speed quickly with small windrows or turning to start then next windrow.

Several times I have found the low gear/ low ranger to be too quick on the NH TL80A even with low RPMs. A HST in a big tractor could be useful too.

I have to take exception to a number of comments you make but rather than argue, I'll just leave your fantasy go.

Let me just say that with an 12 speed gearbox, there is always the right gear for whatever task.

Never be an HST in a big tractor, not practical from an efficient power transmission standpoint. CVT with a gearbox, yes. International tried the HST in a large frame utility ag tractor years ago and it was a failure. Above 75 horse flywheel, you'd be very hard pressed to find any.

For mowing lawns and fiddling around, I'd have one, for serious farming or haying, never.