ZD28 Quits

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Got different mower, same control setup.

Start looking for one or more safety switches that have somehow failed or become out of position. May trace the mechanical linkage all the way back to hydraulic valve / motor but somewhere you should find a switch, perhaps somewhat disguised as a plug or somehow shrouded.

Could be pinched wire or somehow other damage to wiring harness.

May be more than one switch involved. Find your seat safety switch first (may be easier to locate) and try determining if it's involved.

Curious what you find. Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
I have a ZD28F and I agree with Stubbyie, it's most likely a safety switch, be sure to check the parking brake switch and make sure the brake is off and the linkage is working correctly. If it cranks and runs with the control arms out and only dies when the are moved together, then it seems that either the brake is not releasing all the way or the sensor is out of position or bad. You can jump the sensor to check if this is the problem but please replace or correctly position the switch and not run with the switch jumped.

I can't tell you how many times I have started mine and forgot the brake was on and had the engine die a few seconds later after I move the control arms to the center to start moving or engaged the pto and had the same same happen when the brake was not released... I hope this helps...

Joe