ZD28 Electrical

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
After looking at the schematics for the starter circuit, I cannot seem to find the common module where all the safety switches enter and the starter circuit relay exists. I have followed the cabling back to the fuse box but can't seem to find the module. Anyone know where it is located?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Post a picture of your wiring schematic. I could perhaps make useful comments after seeing it.

On many mowers, the safety systems are actually just a number of switches wired in series that all have to be satisfied for power to get to the starter.

For example, a seat switch, then a switch to make certain the mower clutch is off which would be incorporated into the switch which activates the electric clutch for the mower, a switch to be certain the control levers for the zero turn are in the park position, perhaps one for the parking brake.

Dave M7040

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Last edited:

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Not sure if it's just me, but these schematics sure leave a lot to figure out on your own. Here is my system schematic. The prior post was mainly the starting circuit.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/davemskinner/scan0002_zps61a21b15.gif

A few questions:

On the schematic, Coming off the fuse block, there is a wire (color Or/Blue OrL) ending in a symbol that looks like it shuld be a connector to another section of the drawing. I cannot find it anyplace on the diagram.

I have a plain orange wire (maybe red but I don't think so) connected to an OrL wire. See second and third links below. It has a female bullet connector on the loose end but it goes nowhere. It hangs near the injector pump. Is there a switch on the pump? It looks like there maybe a terminal but really not sure. See first ink below.

Also, it looks like there is a horn under the fender, but nothing shows in the diagram and the wire colors are not indicated in the table. If so, is this a USA required add-on? I could not get a pic of the horn

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/davemskinner/20130309_155732_zpsf9babb99.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/davemskinner/20130309_155801_zps638c4fbf.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/davemskinner/20130309_155816_zps3737ccbb.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I'm not sure about that symbol, it's not a standard connector symbol and no other connectors are labeled like that. If I had to guess I'd say that's simply an extra switched hot for options.

That orange wire looks to me like something someone added later as an extra circuit or to bypass a damaged wire. Since it runs up near the pump it's possible that's for the fuel shut off solenoid but the schematic shows those a black and a white wire. It could be for anything.

Not sure about the horn. Found a picture of "a" combination box, your's may look different.

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Thanks for the pic and the comments Stumpy.

I thought the same thing when I first saw it but it looks "factory". The quality of the connectors and the tag... oh Wow, I forgot to add, the label tag is marked "WTL TL". I cannot find the "WTL TL" anywhere on the schematic.

I'm still stuck on the Combination box. I really don't want to cout open the harness to trace wires so I'm going slow. For the life of me though, I cannot find it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have been looking over the schematics you provided and must admit I have never seen a grass cutting machine of any kind with a "combination box."

It seems to be linked to more than the starter. I would love to read the shop manual section describing what it does and how it does it. I think I can see the tops of two relays in the image posted.

I have not been much help to you which is frustrating for me.

Do you have access to a shop manual?

Dave M7040

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
On the upper frame, right hand side, slightly behind and below the motion-arm.
Thanks Birddogger. That's where I figured it was but I still can't find it. Do I need to pull the fender off to get to it?

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
I have been looking over the schematics you provided and must admit I have never seen a grass cutting machine of any kind with a "combination box."

It seems to be linked to more than the starter. I would love to read the shop manual section describing what it does and how it does it. I think I can see the tops of two relays in the image posted.

I have not been much help to you which is frustrating for me.

Do you have access to a shop manual?

Dave M7040
I had a Simplicity Sunstar that also had a combo box. That was a piece of cake to get to, to troubleshoot.

I do have a service manual, though it's not much help. But I will scan it tomorrow and send it to you via PM tomorrow evening. I don't think I should post it due to copyright laws.

Thanks for your interest and support!

Dave

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
On the upper frame, right hand side, slightly behind and below the motion-arm.
Is the "controller" identified as #50 in the attached file the combination box? Does the fender have to come off?

Attachments