ZD28 bogging down

Duaneg

Equipment
ZD28
May 26, 2011
Brighton, Il.
I have a ZD28 Diesel which is 12 years old which runs fine but some times, normally when pulling a grade it seems to starve for fuel and bogg down to almost dying. Stopping and letting it catch it's breath it comes right back up to speed and works great. It recovers faster if I turn it back down hill. I have change both fuel filters out a couple times. It is very inconsistent on when it wants to do it but always in a grade. Appreciate any information I can get.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Check the tank for sediment or water(condensation) that may be flowing towards the fuel outlet of the tank.
You indicate the machine is 12 years old, How many hours on it, Has it been maintained regularly, Is it possible that it is just tired from age, Low compression could account for the bogging down.

Duaneg

Equipment
ZD28
May 26, 2011
Brighton, Il.
Replaced the air cleaner this year, this unit has only been used for residential use. The speed was probably 3/4 speed with the throttle wide open. Use it the way I have always used it. This started at the end of season last year. new fuel in the tank.

mapostolovski

Equipment
ZD21
Jun 1, 2011
MI
I am having the same issue going up grades with a somewhat thick lawn on a ZD21 with a 60" pro deck. It bogs down and almost stalls and then when you give it a second it recovers. The mower had 250 hours of residential ONLY use. Any help would be appreciated.

Duaneg

Equipment
ZD28
May 26, 2011
Brighton, Il.
I just spoke to my neighbor who has a ZD21 and they are experiencing the same problem. They run it commercially and are doing the same maintenance. Still no ideas out there? As with mine it didn't do it until it was a few years old.

muscutt4

Equipment
zd18
Jul 8, 2011
st charles il us
I have a ZD18 doing the same thing, replace both fuel filters and a fuel pump, still did not solve the problem. Wondering if there is a strainer attached too the fuel line pickup inside the tank?

muscutt4

Equipment
zd18
Jul 8, 2011
st charles il us
Talked with a parts guy, to see if the fuel system diagram showed a strainer in the tank at the bottom of the feed line, he said no, but did say on 10 yr old tractors they have seen collapsing fuel lines up stream of the pump, I think I'll try that next.

Pickledm

Equipment
ZD28
Jul 13, 2011
Milford Center, OH, USA
I'm having the same problem with a ZD28 except it doesn't seem to do it when the tank is completely full. What does the pickup line inside the tank look like? Can't find any drawing on the tank itself. Could a pickup line be loose or cracked?

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Do a google search for your problem.
I've read many posts of dudes having the same issue. .
A few had sediment in their tank, one guy found a piece of rubber hose is the tank.

One guy mentioned that you could pull a prank and drop a marble in the tank. Cause the machine to struggle randomly.
I'd force feed the SOB the marble if I ever caught him.

Reactions: 1 user

muscutt4

Equipment
zd18
Jul 8, 2011
st charles il us
Found my problem!
Found a partially blocked feed line at the "T" on the top of the tank, also the pickup line inside the tank was restricted with 10 years of grass. Must have just been enough to starve the tractor during high fuel demands, going up hill.Took tank off to empty it of its contents and found lots of debri. There is no strainer in the tank, but a solid plastic line. Had to remove the roll bar and left fender to get at the tank, about a 3 hour job.

Duaneg

Equipment
ZD28
May 26, 2011
Brighton, Il.
I was told by the dealer that changing the fuel filters did not require bleeding the line like I do on my Ford 1520. Is this correct?