ZD21 Will Not Start

HOpliger

Jun 21, 2017
Manvel, Texas
My ZD21 all of the sudden will not start. Thinking it was the brake switch I changed it, however I still do not have any power to the starter. The mower has never had a problem until now. Any thoughts?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Safety switches, parking brake, motion control levers, PTO, seat switch. Starting circuit is likely to need PTO, brake and motion control, not sure if they included seat switch for start, generally seat is used for engine run if motion control or pto is selected.

Fitch

Equipment
ZD21, RTV900W
May 3, 2017
Carlisle, PA
My ZD21 all of the sudden will not start. Thinking it was the brake switch I changed it, however I still do not have any power to the starter. The mower has never had a problem until now. Any thoughts?
You might check the seat switch. For test purposes you can short it by making a jumper for the plug where it connects to the system. That was the diagnostic test that finally confirmed our seat switch was the cause of intermittent problems.

I replaced the seat on ours (a 2003) because the seat switch went bad @ 1,550 hours. It started to get intermittent at around 1,400 hours and kept getting worse until this summer when we finally were able to diagnose that was the problem. It was worse with light operators (my 110 lb. sister, for example) than heavier operators like me (160 lb.). When shorting the connector completely eliminated the problem we replaced the seat.

I also had to replace the electronics "module" that all the safety interlocks connect to at around 1,100 hours.

The other problem we experienced was starter solenoid failure due to it being over heated by radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. When the problem occurred the second time I measured the temperature and was shocked to fine it was at 450F or higher when I was mowing. I installed a heat shield from a ZD1021 and it cured the problem.

Fitch

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
He hasn't been back here for 3 months so I'd guess he got it sorted!

Runnerb03

Equipment
ZD21
Jul 7, 2019
MANVEL
ZD21 is electrically dead, until...

I have a similar problem where the Kubota ZD21 is electrically dead. I've checked continuity on pretty much every wire there is on this thing and everything appears good. It is just you when turn the ignition over there is zero life in the mower. Also I have bypassed all of the safety switches and the battery is at 12.6 volts or so.

I hoping there is a brain that can explain what I found out today. If I hook up positive from the battery (or the main post that goes into the solenoid) and connect it to the "out" on the slow blow fuse the indicator lights turn on and you hear fuel pump click on.

I bought a new starter solenoid thinking that might be the problem but its still dead. Does the fat red wire that goes into the solenoid also run into the slow blow fuse? And if so, is there something wrong with the solenoid that isn't connecting to the rest of the mower?

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Re: ZD21 is electrically dead, until...

The large red wire to the slow blow and the Positive battery cable should both be on the same stud at the solenoid. In your picture, you appear to have it elsewhere.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Whitetiger nailed it.

You have the red wire on the wrong solenoid terminal.
It needs to be on the same one as the big battery cable!

The solenoid's only job is to switch on the starter not control any other wiring

Change it, reinstall the fuse and all should be good.

Dave

Last edited:

Runnerb03

Equipment
ZD21
Jul 7, 2019
MANVEL
White tiger you nailed it on the head!

The original symptom was that the lawnmower wouldn't start. I thought it might have something to do with a bad safety switch as that is something i saw common in the threads.

I did eventually end up buying a new starter solenoid but I just hooked it back up wrong.

If you are ever in Texas I will buy you a beer.

Thanks!

cowboymike

Equipment
zd221
Jul 15, 2019
Partlow
Re: ZD221 2nd fuel filter

I have a zd221 where is the second fuel filter? I see what looks like a metal filter with wires attached which I assume is a fuel pump

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Re: ZD221 2nd fuel filter

Yep, that's the fuel pump. Follow the fuel line under the tractor and it will lead you to the 2nd filter. Open a new can of cuss words. Those things can be a pain.