ZD21 Hard Start

Dennburr

Equipment
Kabota ZD21
May 17, 2021
Ohio
Hey guys, I have a kabota ZD21 that is hard to start...

I changed the glow plugs with ones from kabota dealer along with fuel pump and both fuel filters.

But you still have to crank it what seems to be long periods over and over till it finally starts.

Once it starts it runs great!

Any info would be greatly appreciated,...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

I changed the glow plugs with ones from kabota dealer along with fuel pump and both fuel filters.

But you still have to crank it what seems to be long periods over and over till it finally starts.

More history on your machine would help.

Low compression is a common cause of poor starting.

The ZD21 was last made in 2006. How many hours are on the machine?

Did you buy it new or used and what was its prior use if you bought used?
This is relevant because it may have been used in a commercial grass cutting operation.

You can get a free WSM for your ZD21 at kubotabooks.com in the mowers section. Try this link.

ZD21

This is the Troubleshooting section for No Start from the WSM.

Forum ZD21 troublesshooting.jpg

Checking the valve clearance is one low cost step you can do following the WSM.

Because you have provided no idea of your level of skill and knowledge on the one hand I do not want to insult you with questions about bleeding the fuel system, checking the air intake for rodent nests, or at the other end of the spectrum ask what the Ohm reading was on the old Glow Plugs, have you checked that the GP's are being powered during engine cranking because sometimes people put in an improper key switch and this important ON time for the GP's is not happening.

What lead to the parts being replaced you have mentioned. You had the same problem before as you do now?

Do you have a 12 volt test light or multi meter.

Test light.jpg

Test lights are sold on line and at most auto parts places. It will help you determine when and if the Glow Plugs are being powered.

The forum has many people willing to help and who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. We just need a bit more detail before we give you a diagnosis.

Look forward to seeing your next post.

Any question you have is one worth asking.

Many of us started with next to no knowledge and were moved up by the help of others on the forum. You could become the go to guy for ZD21 machines.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Dennburr

Equipment
Kabota ZD21
May 17, 2021
Ohio
The ZD21 is a 2001 with 794.3 hours on it right now. I bought it new and has only been used on my own property.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The ZD21 is a 2001 with 794.3 hours on it right now. I bought it new and has only been used on my own property.
I have a ZD21 that was hard to start. when I’m ready to start it now, I push the throttle lever forward until I hear a distinct click come from the right side of the engine. Then it cranks right up. haven’t been able to figure it out, but this solution has worked for two years. It’s not worth any more time to try to figure out what this releases. I do look at it occasionally, but am not sure what this function does with the pump.

wblei

Equipment
l34830 kubota
May 17, 2021
w.union wv
when it's cold out or my 3830 has been sitting a while i cycle the ignition 2 times before i crank it if it's 20 degrees out or lower i cycle it 3 times like starting a big truck or those early ford diesels

dadu7058

Equipment
B1700, ZD21
May 12, 2023
Cincinnati, OH USA

I realize this post dates back a few years; however, I wanted to update with my latest experience on Hard Starting KUBOTA ZD21. At the end of the mowing season of 2022, I would have to move the hand throttle to about 50% for the engine to start. At the start of this season in 2023, I dug into the hard starting problem a little more and discovered the Stop Solenoid was sticking. I replaced the Stop Solenoid at the beginning of April, 2023, and the hard starting issue has resolved itself. No longer necessary to lever up the throttle to get it started. Replacement part ordered from Messick's 16851-60015-620.

Attachments

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Dadu7058, That turned out to be my problem as well. New stop solenoid solved it.