ZD1211 PTO clutch

TPMCCOY1

Equipment
ZD1211
Jun 1, 2021
Alabama
Took my 2017 ZD1211-60 with less than 100 hours into the shop today because the blade pto wount engage.
They tell me the clutch will have to be replaced. $1500.00 plus.
This is only the 2nd one they have seen that the snap ring has came off of the clutch pack.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Seems like a great opportunity to ask for a factory-representative to look into “good will” warranty.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes ask them to reference the dealer website, there were a few field reports of this happening as I remember. I did one just before I left the dealer. Not much fun but not bad. Trans removal not necessary, usually. Put it on the lift, sit in my easy chair, and remove the rear cover, all right there as long as nothing else is busted inside. Time consuming.

after I left I was told that another one had an issue-I (mis?)understood that they were early build units in a certain serial number range. It would be wise to ask the dealer to look into this; as sometimes they'd extend the warranty coverage out for a while on certain components if they knew there was a history of failure with that particular component. Typically if that happened, there would have been a bulletin for it. Because of how Kubota's dealer system works, they may not find the bulletin right away, it takes some digging. Their keyword search sucks, or it did when I was there.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
PSB-2019-037-R1
It has been discovered that some units have the u-joints on the engine to transaxle out of phase. You need to check the shaft and see that the 3 grease zerks are in line with each other.
The joints out of phase cause a pulse to the input shaft and can damage the PTO pack or cause it to come apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TPMCCOY1

Equipment
ZD1211
Jun 1, 2021
Alabama
PSB-2019-037-R1
It has been discovered that some units have the u-joints on the engine to transaxle out of phase. You need to check the shaft and see that the 3 grease zerks are in line with each other.
The joints out of phase case a pulse to the input shaft and can damage the PTO pack or cause it to come apart.
Thank you I will check it

TPMCCOY1

Equipment
ZD1211
Jun 1, 2021
Alabama
yes ask them to reference the dealer website, there were a few field reports of this happening as I remember. I did one just before I left the dealer. Not much fun but not bad. Trans removal not necessary, usually. Put it on the lift, sit in my easy chair, and remove the rear cover, all right there as long as nothing else is busted inside. Time consuming.

after I left I was told that another one had an issue-I (mis?)understood that they were early build units in a certain serial number range. It would be wise to ask the dealer to look into this; as sometimes they'd extend the warranty coverage out for a while on certain components if they knew there was a history of failure with that particular component. Typically if that happened, there would have been a bulletin for it. Because of how Kubota's dealer system works, they may not find the bulletin right away, it takes some digging. Their keyword search sucks, or it did when I was there.
Thank you I will have them check. What urks me is the dealer ask me first thing "did you buy it here?" Like what difference does that make? I have written Kubota about it also,,we will see,,

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Thank you I will have them check. What urks me is the dealer ask me first thing "did you buy it here?" Like what difference does that make? I have written Kubota about it also,,we will see,,
Like most things, customer service is becoming a thing of the past. Almost any "Dealer" takes this approach. It is a way to prioritize you in their service que. Its not right, but appears to be common. I have a dealer that is the third farthest from me that I use. Takes me 1 hour trip one way, but they treat me amicably on any issue I have ever had. Local dealer is good for a quick run in to get fluids filters, and are nice people, but do not care if I spend 60k for a tractor...

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What urks me is the dealer ask me first thing "did you buy it here?" Like what difference does that make? I have written Kubota about it also,,we will see,,
It may have been a very poorly worded legitimate question as it makes a big difference when starting a work order if the customer is already in the dealer's system or not.
On the other hand, he could be an ass.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It may have been a very poorly worded legitimate question as it makes a big difference when starting a work order if the customer is already in the dealer's system or not.
On the other hand, he could be an ass.
AND...it could be an insightful dealer who wants to know if his shop is assembling the tractor incorrectly.

If the question bothers you... before you answer.... ask “Why do you ask?”

PS: In case you’ve never had this demonstrated to you, here’s an excellent video explaining universal joint phasing:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Like most things, customer service is becoming a thing of the past. Almost any "Dealer" takes this approach. It is a way to prioritize you in their service que. Its not right, but appears to be common. I have a dealer that is the third farthest from me that I use. Takes me 1 hour trip one way, but they treat me amicably on any issue I have ever had. Local dealer is good for a quick run in to get fluids filters, and are nice people, but do not care if I spend 60k for a tractor...
many times it's easier for them to write a repair order if your information is already in their system. Thus, they'll ask you "did you buy it here" right off the bat, so they can look up your name in the system. Dealers business systems aren't all linked together. Well some are, if they are all owned or operated by the same company.

I'm not saying that there isn't something to your not purchasing from them. Sometimes there is. Personally when I did dealer work, I never made a habit of prioritizing based on place of purchase. It was not that important to me.