ZD1211 Mower Options

63Flyer

Equipment
L3540,ZD1211-72, RTV-X900
Jul 25, 2013
Dundas,Ont
Looking at a ZD1211 to replace my GR2100.

I have read about and would like feedback on:

-concerns that the 60 inch mower does not stick out much from the wheel base.
-if the 72 inch mower option maxes out the 1211 engine
-lastly, feedback on rear discharge

Thanks

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I looked into the Toro rear discharge zero turn and from my research it sounds like the rear discharge mowers don't give you as clean of a cut as a side discharge. It seems to have something to do with not having the same lift capacity as a side discharge and that causes more blades of grass to go uncut then with a side discharge. From what I read the people who do buy the rear discharge tend to be pros who mow a lot of office buildings with curbs and customers who don't want clippings on the parking lots or walkways.

I have no idea if the 72" deck is too big for that mower, but I've come to realize you need really flat ground for a deck that large. When the deck is that big it's easy to do some serious scalping when you hit a bump or a hill. I currently have a 62" deck and if I ever need to replace I'm going to give some serious consideration to a 52" deck because of the scalping... we'll see, it's always hard to downsize with power equipment.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Flyer,

We have 2 of the ZD326 units with the 60" rear discharge. As gcmiller said above, there is not enough "lift" on the rear discharge decks, so the grass run over by the front tires does not get lifted back up and cut as short as the rest of the width.

When we bought our first one, we did not know about it. But like most things, you have to take the good with the bad. Mowing at a traditional cemetery, with lots of markers and monuments to mow along and around, the rear discharge was the main reason to get it. As for the scalping, after hitting the high spots long enough, they will either get cut down, or you can mow in a different direction to avoid them.

I have not heard how the newly designed decks work on the new 1XXX series mowers. Ask your dealer to deliver it to your place for a demonstration. That way you know how it works in your location, instead of the dealers yard.

As for the width and the power, you will have to determine that on your own property. The wider the better, in most instances. We have some tight spots where 60" can't go through, and then we have 5 acres of open ground that a 72" would be very nice to have. When the grass gets tall and heavy, we slow down on the ground speed while keeping the throttle high.

Digger

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have a zd326 60”, and zd331 72” both side discharge. With a little planning the 72” deck doesn’t scalp on any of the large 12 yards I mow, but it does require extra care along ridges, culverts, etc...
Getting into and out of ditches is when the deck edge will gouge the turf without due care.

As far as power requirements the 331 is really over powered with a 72” deck, so although I have no experience with the zd1211, I suspect it would handle a 72” deck just fine.
There are rear discharge fans here, but the only rear discharge mower I have (3pt rfm) leaves clumps in anything but relatively short and dry grass. I prefer side discharge.
Lastly, the 72” mower saves me 60 hours of seat time per year compared to the 60”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro