ZD-221 PTO problem

moneymonster

Equipment
ZD-221
Apr 12, 2015
Palestine, TX
On my ZD-221 (Pro deck), I move the handle to engage the PTO and blades and it does not engage. I checked the fluid level and it is at the proper full level. I checked the linkages and it seems that the rod that is attached to the handle rod is so hard to engage that I have to beat on it with a hammer to make the blades engage. The rod that goes rearward to the top of the PTO is the one that will not hardly move, even beating on it with a hammer. Additionally, when I want to disengage the blades, again, I have to hit in the linkage to make that happen. What could possible be the issue? I guess I should also point out that this mower has always been outside as I do not have a shop to keep it in. So, it is exposed to the elements year round. (NOTE the rust on the rod where it has been hit with the hammer) IMG_0364.jpg

OakL

Equipment
ZD 211
Oct 19, 2019
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
On my ZD-221 (Pro deck), I move the handle to engage the PTO and blades and it does not engage. I checked the fluid level and it is at the proper full level. I checked the linkages and it seems that the rod that is attached to the handle rod is so hard to engage that I have to beat on it with a hammer to make the blades engage. The rod that goes rearward to the top of the PTO is the one that will not hardly move, even beating on it with a hammer. Additionally, when I want to disengage the blades, again, I have to hit in the linkage to make that happen. What could possible be the issue? I guess I should also point out that this mower has always been outside as I do not have a shop to keep it in. So, it is exposed to the elements year round. (NOTE the rust on the rod where it has been hit with the hammer) View attachment 15958
Did you have a solution to this problem? I have the same issue where the rod that are connected to the other end is turning very tight. too much resistance.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
usually the valve sticks in the bore. You'll have to remove the valve from the transmission, clean it up, reinstall it and adjust it properly. The work shop manual outlines how to adjust it. When the valve sticks, the lever usually ends up bent; and that'll throw the adjustment off--sometimes to the point where the clutch isn't fully engaged and it slips, wearing it out, then you'd get to remove the transmission & disassemble it & repair the pto clutch. Trust me, it's not a very fun job (nor cheap).