Would you buy a GR2100?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I can't avoid it any longer; I'm going to have to get a lawn mower. I hate to sound like a whiner, but I've got arthritis in my knees and hands, and sciatica that make chasing a lawn mower difficult and dangerous -- I need to move up to a rider.

However, with the rough surface and steep slope of my small lot, even the good-quality lawn tractors just don't work. To do the job without skinning the turf sliding down the hill, I'm faced with the choice between an articulated mower or (ideally), a GR2120. Those are the machines that seem best able to traverse the hill and give a decent cut.

Since I'm infected with the Kubias virus, the GR2120 looked like a wonderful choice -- except for the exceptional price. The used models I've seen were in the hands of dealers, and you can imagine their prices.

I have seen a few GR2100s for sale, some with considerable hours. That suggests that the problems, particularly with the transmission, have been corrected -- or am I being naive?

Would you even look at a GR2100, if you weren't an agile mechanic with a shop full of tools and cast-off parts?

All suggestions welcome. TIA

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I don't know much about them, but I see them on craigslist from time to time. A few of the ones I have seen had blown motors :confused:. If I had the choice between that and a JD I would buy kubota. Have you thought about a zero turn or a scag type mower?

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
He has steep slopes. I don't know of anyone around that has bought a Zero turn and have a yard with lots of slopes that really like the Zero turn. All say there's too much pucker factor turning to make turns on slopes and getting it to stop.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
He has steep slopes. I don't know of anyone around that has bought a Zero turn and have a yard with lots of slopes that really like the Zero turn. All say there's too much pucker factor turning to make turns on slopes and getting it to stop.

Friend of mine let me use his Zero turn cub cadet, was gonna let me have it for only 500 bucks, brought it home and started to cut, scared the shyte out of ME!!! I have used z-turns a lot cutting athletic fields, of course they are all mostly flat, but this thing would slide down a hill in a heart beat.

my regular ol riders do a much better job than typical zero turns on hills, even slight hills.

the 2100 is 4 wheel drive - and a unique type, since the front will turn very,very sharp - the 4wd kicks out and then turns back on as the wheels are back straight, thus not tearing up the yard. I guy at the lake has one, he is 83 and makes that thing sing!

It is expensive, maybe too expensive - but if it does what you need it to do, then I would get on it:)

Shaun - your call - but I think even if you bite the bullet, I really think you will be impressed with it, even despite the cost! Kinda like the rest of us buying a 20k super duty BX25d machines......people look at me like I am crazy as hell, "why you need that - what you do with it?" - I look at them and say - "damn near anything you can imagine!!!!":)

let us know what you do - can you still get close to 0% from Kubota new?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My Kubota dealer also carries and services Ingersolls, which is what I have. I have a couple of steep banks which I always do nose straight down hill and it is fine, and in fact would go up most of them, but easier to mow in a large circle so always headed down for the steep parts. Mine is about 20 years old, bought it used, never had any problems other than belts and bearings for the deck. It's orange...can take a snowblower, and tiller I think.. this winter I loaded the tires on it as well as chains and it went through a foot of snow ok.

orange riverrat

Equipment
gr2120
Apr 12, 2015
Muscle Shoals,Al.
As the owner of the GR2120 I would not purchase a new model unless Kubota has fixed the transmission problems. I am currently looking to purchase a new BX2370. The 2120 is an ok mower however mine has had several problems but has served me fairly well. I looked at the bx1870 but want a 60" mmm vs the 54" on the 1870. All things considered(plastic vs. metal, hi-lo range transmission,better resale) I just don't think I would chance the 2120. Sure the bx1870 costs more but you get what I CONSIDER it a more rugged reliable platform. Just my opinon.ymmv