WoodMaxx

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Like forty years ago I bought a WoodMaxx chipper. Well maybe it was 4. But it has power feed. Self contained hydraulics. And I've feed a lot of big hard woods through it with not one issue. Of course its 'made in China'. But I bought it anyway. The last couple years I've had some driveway paving done and I plow with a Boss plow on my pickup. But I've still always wanted a snowblower to blow the banks back in places. So this week I ordered one from WoodMaxx. I hope I never have to use it. But the Old Farmers Alamac says get ready for a long hard winter.
http://www.woodmaxx.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SB-72-PTO

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
I just ordered three weeks ago, the Woodmax Mx-9900 chipper in Kubuta orange. They are doing a booming business right now, and Woodmax notified me that deliver times are about 6-8 weeks out. Interestingly, they are now making at Woodmax, many of the parts they previously sourced from China. The startup of their new machine shop is primary cause of my delay in delivery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The chipper I bought was the WM-8H ( I think) or something like that. I didn't have the rear hydraulics on my tractor but wanted the auto feed. So that chipper and the price suited me. You wont be disappointed. I've run fresh cut 6" white birch through it tree length. You might hear the tractor lug down for just a few seconds , vroom, out the shoot it comes.
And I was disappointed it wasn't made in USA. But after a discussion with the salesman on the phone. I ordered.
This order I got 5% off as a prior customer. But I'm glad they are looking to build products here. My ship date is 14 days he said. A ship weight of 900 lbs and my L3800 can curl just 1000 lbs off the bed of a tractor trailer.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
Thanks for the recommedation and encouragement on my future Woodmax chipper. Glad to see Woodmax increasing the American made parts to their products.
Good luck with your Woodmax Snowblower. I moved from New York to Texas, and so no longer need any snowblower. I do prefer the front mounted mid PTO driven snowblowers over the rear mounted PTO blowers. Take a good look at both types.

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I use my tractor for my business shipping out pallets truck freight and receiving steel shipments truck freight. So during the winter my bucket and forks are off and on every few days. I'd love the idea of the front mount blower. But changing it out so often would be a pain I think. My plowing is done by my pickup. I use my tractor to bucket the plowed up piles here and there. And the piles in a tough winter do grow. I want to be able to blow it away and not have it pile up. I also pick and choose the days I use my tractor to bucket. If the snow is blowing sideways. I an't on the tractor. lol.
I see down the street here a ways a empty house has a new owner. A old guy from Texas. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him yet to find out why he at his age headed north to fight the winter.

Tim Kowalski

Equipment
L2550 DT
Oct 14, 2015
Illinois USA
I purchased a Woodmaxx SB 60 snow blower for my L2550 DT 2 years ago. I have only needed to use it a couple of times, but it did a great job - even with deep drifts. The only issue that I had was during assembly. The ring that the chute mounts and rotates on was ovalized when it was welded onto the unit at the factory. This required some sledge hammering and grinding to make it round and allow the chute to fit properly.
If the snow is quite wet, it can plug in the chute, but they come with a nice little plastic shovel to clear it easily.
You will want to look into an LED light to mount on it to see where you are going (If you need to blow snow early in the morning).
They are very sturdy units.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
That's good to know. Did you make them aware of the chute issue ? I see the chute is lined with thick plastic to help the snow fly. I'm surprised it plugged but I guess all blowers get plugged at some point. I do have a rear LED light already. But I did get the option of the electric chute rotator. I'd be happy if I never had to use it ever. But I'll have it when its needed.
And I just got an email today my blower has shipped with a Friday delivery date. A ship weight of #950. lbs the tracking # says.
I'll post a photo.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
That's good to know. Did you make them aware of the chute issue ? I see the chute is lined with thick plastic to help the snow fly. I'm surprised it plugged but I guess all blowers get plugged at some point. I do have a rear LED light already. But I did get the option of the electric chute rotator. I'd be happy if I never had to use it ever. But I'll have it when its needed.
And I just got an email today my blower has shipped with a Friday delivery date. A ship weight of #950. lbs the tracking # says.
I'll post a photo.
Good luck on your new snowblower. I am still waiting 2-3 weeks more for the deliver of my Woodmax chipper. Again, cause of delay is Woodmax switching to where they will be machining most of the parts to the chippers.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
It stinks waiting I know. But being made at their own facility here in the good ole USA will be worth it I'm sure.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Monday my new Woodmaxx SB72 snow blower arrived. The steel frame is wider then my pallet forks. The trucker used the lift gate and pallet jack and finally got it off onto the ground. It was shipped on a wood pallet underneath when it showed up. I had to turn the pallet the opposite direction to get a bite and move it. Looks well made with thick steel plate just like my chipper. And half the cost of a Kubota blower.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice! Did you follow their commands and "inspect before accepting"? Looks pretty tightly wrapped for a endgate inspection.

Must be verbage used to keep dock workers and truck drivers from denting, scratching and losing parts.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I did look it over closely. As two weeks ago with my own business I shipped a freight to New York, residencial delivery($250.) the customer accepted the delivery signed for it. Then called my ten minutes later, two parts had been damaged in shipment. Really. He had not seen it under the shrink wrap I put on he said. SO I paid $250. to ship a replacement, $250. to ship the damaged freight back. My profit on that job $0.00. nothing. A manufacturing loss of several hundreds on top of the shipping. SO YES I looked the snowblower over closely.
If I had wanted I could of told the customer of mine. You signed for it. You own it. And how am I to know he did not damage it moving it with his tractor ? I don't. But I covered it.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I did look it over closely. As two weeks ago with my own business I shipped a freight to New York, residencial delivery($250.) the customer accepted the delivery signed for it. Then called my ten minutes later, two parts had been damaged in shipment. Really. He had not seen it under the shrink wrap I put on he said. SO I paid $250. to ship a replacement, $250. to ship the damaged freight back. My profit on that job $0.00. nothing. A manufacturing loss of several hundreds on top of the shipping. SO YES I looked the snowblower over closely.
If I had wanted I could of told the customer of mine. You signed for it. You own it. And how am I to know he did not damage it moving it with his tractor ? I don't. But I covered it.
WFM, maybe you should invest in a roll of those stickers to put on your products before you ship them out to help reduce incidents like this.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think those stickers have no power as far as damage claims. It's a "please be cautious" warning to handlers.

It's like the rock hauling trucks that have a decal on the tail that says "Stay back 300 feet". The hauling company thinks that clears them of damage to your vehicle. So what is traffic suppose to do when the truck is at a red light?

I had a truck (with that decal) pass me on a 4 lane road, a rock came off of it and chipped my windshield. I just followed until I could get the number off the truck and called the Co. They squawked but paid for replacement.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
On a happier note. I did get my blower installed today. Run the wire from the battery for the electric rotator on the chute. Seems to work great.
And changed my engine oil and filter and fuel filter and O rings. Just need to order a air filter now.

Attachments

Last edited:

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
And on another happy note, I also recieved my Woodmax 9900 chipper today. Exactly 4 months after placing my order. It looks great, and finally arrived with not a scratch.
Much of the 4 month delay was caused by Woodmax switching all Chinese steel parts to in house (American) manufacture. Perhaps Trumps tariffs on Chinese steel caused this long delay. Everything looks great and of the highest quality.

Interestingly, it is now in "cardboard box" and no longer shrink wrapped for shipping. The box sticks out 4 inches on all sides as improved protection, and even the shipper showed, if none of the box is damaged, the Woodmax chipper was untouched during shipping. After a brief check for any damage during shipping, I used my Kioti pallet forks to offload the crate from the truck. Used a 550lb box blade to provide counter weight to the 950lb Woodmax chipper.

Next up is minor assembly, some bolt tightening and adding hydraulic fluids. Will test this woodmax chipper later this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep those knives sharp. I happen to sharpen commercial chipper knives in my machine shop for local tree companies and I sharpen my own chipper knives (for my Jinma 8" power feed chipper as well.)

Most of the commercial chipper knives I run are for Brush Bandit commercial power infeed chippers and Vermeer chippers as well as Morbark.

I get them in crates for sharpening. Some of the chipper knives I sharpen, the chippers take whole trees in one shot, up to 14" trunk diameter. Mst outfits around here don't chip anything that big. The buck the trunks to grapple size, load them in a truck and take them to their yards to season and then they cut them into 20" lengths and split them in automated splitters to sell as firewood. The one outfit I sharpen for has a fully automated spitter that not only cuts to length but splits in one operation. All that is needed is one man loading the machine. The splits come off to a conveyor and get piled in piles for sale.

Nice thing about WoodMax and Jinma chippers is the knives fit in location pockets so you can resharpen many times without changing out knives. The space between the knife edge and the pocket grows a bit with every sharpen, but, the cut spacing remains the same. Same with a Bandit and Vermeer. Morbarks have to be in matched sets because the blades have ti clear a stationary anvil as they rotate on the drum s they have to be within 0.01 for a set of 4.

Anytime I need big tree work done, I usually get a great price in as much as I'm maintaining their chipper knives.

I make them razor sharp and then blunt the edge slightly. That way, the impact don't chip the edge when working. Those big diesel engines make a gob of power.

I also square the anvils and make them parallel. You need to either flip the anvil or grind it when changing knives and the anvil to knife spacing needs to be about credit card width, set on the farthest protruding kine as all flywheels will have a bit of runout.