Wood/Slash Chippers, PTO Drive, Recommendations or Experience

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Hi ,
I am in the market for a new wood chipper for my Kubota and would be interested in your recommendations or experience with various manufacturers. My PTO is only rated for 23.5 horsepower @ 540 rpm; I assume that I can probably handle 6" limb run?

I am on a fixed income and realize that these are not inexpensive products, however, with 20 acres of forest land I need to be the most productive that I can. Your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated . thank you

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
It was far cheaper to buy a used gas powered chipper on Craigslist and have the tractor free for grappling brush piles than it was to spend money and hours on a PTO version...

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I have had good luck with the Wallenstein chippers.
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com
I have had two of them. A 4" capacity one, that they no longer make, I had on my BX23 and I currently have a 6" model on my L4740. Both machines are very well made and very simply made. No belts or pulleys. Direct drive right from the PTO.
However, with your limited size in horse power, I think you will be limited more to a 3" or 4" capacity. These things can get to be pretty heavy as you go up in size.
Check out the BX32S. Good luck.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Hi Rick last year I bought a Walenstein BX25 5" chipper, I have 19.5 hp at the pto. It seems to work well and i'm glad i went with the 5" because of the bends in the limbs, if I would have had a little more hp the auto feed would make it a lot easier to use but like you I'm retired and not in a rush to go back into the house. The one thing they should have is a chain saw holder.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
maclean, I think you would find that a stand alone wood chipper that can handle 6" limps would be pretty high in cost compared to a PTO powered one.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I would go with a stand alone as well, found a DR on Craig's list for $1200 that does 4.75". I have only went to 4" and it worked pretty well. I was torn on the PTO, and glad I went stand alone as mentioned above. I use the tractor & grapple to bring the wood to the chipper. Good luck and hope it works out for you either way you go.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a Woodmaxx , it has a power feed, the only one I found that has a self contained hydrolic tank to power the power feed rolls. You can cut long trees or brush and the power feed just sucks them right in. You can control the speed of the feed also.
I did call and talk to them before I bought, unfortunately this model is made overseas BUT to there specs the salesman told me. They are inspected also before released to the customer.
But I certainly would buy one again.

Attachments

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
It was far cheaper to buy a used gas powered chipper on Craigslist and have the tractor free for grappling brush piles than it was to spend money and hours on a PTO version...
Thank you mac lean. I'll keep an eternity out...

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Oops, meant to say: I'll keep an eye out! Lol
Thank you mac lean. I'll keep an eternity out...