Wind

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wind and cold came down hard on us last night again, low was 7F and high was 20F and wind was 20+ all day.
It's going to be even colder tonight, its 10F and it's only 6:45pm.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Looks like a mixed mess coming the next couple days but then clear and cold again. A few years back we had a cold winter like this one which raised my deck so the screen doors at each end would't close properly. That spring I had to get under it and cut some off the support posts and replace with short jack post so I could raise it up or down when needed, well after this mess blows over I'll be adjusting it again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like a mixed mess coming the next couple days but then clear and cold again. A few years back we had a cold winter like this one which raised my deck so the screen doors at each end wouldn't close properly. That spring I had to get under it and cut some off the support posts and replace with short jack post so I could raise it up or down when needed, well after this mess blows over I'll be adjusting it again.
Last year I got a call to go look at a porch that had been built the year before, and was having issues, the owner couldn't figure out what was going on, but everything seemed off.
Deck was warping and waving, and the support posts and roof didn't look right, and the stairs had all but fallen off.

On first examination it looked to be an easy fix as it looked like they didn't put enough supports in for the deck, boy I was wrong.
The foundations for the posts were in about 18 to 24" of dirt, had moved a lot.
The more we dug in, the more we found wrong, and was a complete disaster.
One of the biggest issues was when they added the porch roof to the house and it shifted, it broke 5 trusses.
What was supposed to be a simple repair job, turned out to be a $65K repair and rebuild.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Last year I got a call to go look at a porch that had been built the year before, and was having issues, the owner couldn't figure out what was going on, but everything seemed off.
Deck was warping and waving, and the support posts and roof didn't look right, and the stairs had all but fallen off.

On first examination it looked to be an easy fix as it looked like they didn't put enough supports in for the deck, boy I was wrong.
The foundations for the posts were in about 18 to 24" of dirt, had moved a lot.
The more we dug in, the more we found wrong, and was a complete disaster.
One of the biggest issues was when they added the porch roof to the house and it shifted, it broke 5 trusses.
What was supposed to be a simple repair job, turned out to be a $65K repair and rebuild.
Ouch, that would be hard to swallow. Looks like I won't get at it for another day or 2 after the weather breaks but at least I know it won't be too hard to cure. Last time the deck moved I went to the hardware and the 2 guys working there told me they had people come in that had posts 4 feet or more in the ground and the frost had pushed them out and that's when I decided to go with jack posts instead of going deeper, so far so good.