winch location ad brand ?

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
winch location and brand ? -- I have a new B3200 and like to put a winch on it for couple reason. One reason in case I get stuck in mud in the woods, and also like to use it for helping in dropping trees if in a tight spot and need to have insurance where I drop some trees. Where should I be mounting the winch ? I do have a fel on the tractor. Any suggestion be greatly appreciated.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
6 years ago when I first moved here to E TN, one of the first local news reports I heard:

Man using his pick up truck to down trees.........he WAS 55 years old.

Stupid stupid idea.

Fab you a bolt on mount to the frame....mount any winch you like.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A winch works extremely slow. Be very careful using it to drop trees- it won't react nearly fast enough if something goes wrong.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Simple and easy would be to get a 3pt trailer mover and then a plate that the winch bolts too and slide into the 2 inch reciver. Like others have said winches and trucks are NEVER a good idea for pulling trees over. Sometimes its best left to a professional, unless you can climb the tree yourself and start dropping limbs then start to cut out small sections of the trunk.

I help out a buddy of mine who owns a tree business and what we do is get the truck down to around 30-50 feet tall then pull it over with the skid steer but its pulling from about 100ft away.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You got it there Eric,,, we have use trucks and tractor to pull trees over for years,,, HOWEVER, the angle we pull is almost always 90 Degrees to the direction the tree is going to fall,, or want to fall lets put it that way. I found a large snatch block a long time ago at a junk yard I have no idea what it was for, maybe a Crain of some sort, with a big hook and we chain the snatch block to a tree in line with the fall and then go 90 degrees off that to the truck or tractor,, NEVER NEVER NEVER pull the same direction as the fall,, just MHO

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
You got it there Eric,,, we have use trucks and tractor to pull trees over for years,,, HOWEVER, the angle we pull is almost always 90 Degrees to the direction the tree is going to fall,, or want to fall lets put it that way. I found a large snatch block a long time ago at a junk yard I have no idea what it was for, maybe a Crain of some sort, with a big hook and we chain the snatch block to a tree in line with the fall and then go 90 degrees off that to the truck or tractor,, NEVER NEVER NEVER pull the same direction as the fall,, just MHO[/QUOTE

Boy sorry I caused all talk about dropping trees. But I appreciate the guys passing info to keep me safe. As you pointed out I never pull in direction I want the tree to fall and my steel cable is always twice as long any tree I am dropping. Trust me I do not want to be on five o' clock news , and I aim to be enjoying my new Kubota for many years. These poor guys hurting themselves to many times are moving to fast and not thinking slow enough. For me it looks to dangerous, it stays or my logger buddy comes and does it. Thanks for the tips on putting the winch on the 3 point hitch.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
A winch works extremely slow. Be very careful using it to drop trees- it won't react nearly fast enough if something goes wrong.[/QUOT

I understand your point. I would be using it to hold tension 90 deg. from how tree will fall.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
Sorry Tony I sometimes go back to the old days when I did safety for a living,, You can try these links for starters.

http://www.farmiwinch.com/EV450-Hydraulic-Winch/

and the igland winch discussion on tractor net

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/203601-reviews-igland-winches.html

I have not had any dealings with them but both seem to be a pretty good rigs
That's no problem. I worked in the utility industry with high voltage. Guys like yourself keep many workers safe and alive preaching what you know and passing it along.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have a friend of mine who hauls junk cars for a living and he started out with a pickup a car trailer and a cheapo winch from Harbor Freight. I know he ran that rig for several years an never had any issues with the cheapo winch from Harbor.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I've had a couple of inexpensive winches that gave me great service. One of them came with a bracket with a keyhole shaped cutout, to go over a trailer hitch ball. That is what I use when I need the winch, along with a 3PH T frame and 2" receiver.
One thing to consider is that you'll run out of traction way before you run out of power, both with the tractor and with the winch.
When you make a power outlet, make it heavy duty, and make a 50' - 100' extension cord with some flexible light duty welding cable to allow you to use the winch separate from the tractor. With my keyhole cutout bracket it was really easy to chain the winch to a tree and just use the tractor electrics to power it.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
I've had a couple of inexpensive winches that gave me great service. One of them came with a bracket with a keyhole shaped cutout, to go over a trailer hitch ball. That is what I use when I need the winch, along with a 3PH T frame and 2" receiver.
One thing to consider is that you'll run out of traction way before you run out of power, both with the tractor and with the winch.
When you make a power outlet, make it heavy duty, and make a 50' - 100' extension cord with some flexible light duty welding cable to allow you to use the winch separate from the tractor. With my keyhole cutout bracket it was really easy to chain the winch to a tree and just use the tractor electrics to power it.

Thanks for good idea's

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Man using his pick up truck to down trees.........he WAS 55
Murph this just reminded me of a news report I heard many, many years ago... local teacher killed by tractor flipping over on him while pulling a stump - the man was my high school physics teacher! You'd a thunk he would have figured out the physics of the situation.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Here is everything you need to build what Gpreuss is talking about.

http://www.awdirect.com/default2.asp?keyword=jumper cable&omsearch=jump

http://www.awdirect.com/default2.asp?keyword=jump box&omsearch=jump

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A winch works extremely slow. Be very careful using it to drop trees- it won't react nearly fast enough if something goes wrong.[/QUOT

I understand your point. I would be using it to hold tension 90 deg. from how tree will fall.
What I mean is this- because the winch runs so slow, if the tree shifts and starts to go another way, the winch won't pull fast enough to correct it. A heavy enough tree could take you, your winch, and your tractor for a ride or cause damage. You are better off to have someone running the tractor, keep tension on the cable as you cut, and pull as the tree starts to fall. Then, you are directing it where you want it to go. The winch will keep tension, but as soon as the tree starts moving, the winch may be useless.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
Dec 14, 2013
ny
What I mean is this- because the winch runs so slow, if the tree shifts and starts to go another way, the winch won't pull fast enough to correct it. A heavy enough tree could take you, your winch, and your tractor for a ride or cause damage. You are better off to have someone running the tractor, keep tension on the cable as you cut, and pull as the tree starts to fall. Then, you are directing it where you want it to go. The winch will keep tension, but as soon as the tree starts moving, the winch may be useless.

I understand very clear what you are pointing out. Thanks for taking the time to pass good advice to keep me safe. Just to let you know, I am working with a steel cable always at least twice as long as the height of the tree, and just use it to hold some tension 90 deg. of where the tree wants to fall, and I am only doing small trees, mostly poplar trees. If any trees are to large or look dangerous to me, a call goes out to my logger buddy. I am a believer in pay for what the pros do best ,and stay safe to enjoy another day ( on my new kubota )..... Once again, it is greatly appreciated, all safety tips.