Will an L2501 work for me?

mic214

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 W/cab brushhog, box blade & pallet forks
May 11, 2014
Colorado
We moved into a new (To us) house about two years ago. This house sits on 6-3/4 acres, but it had sat vacant for several years, so the yard is in need of some major cleanup work. So, in addition to mowing, part of this clean up would involve the removal of about 50+ small tree stumps and the moving several rocks (Backhoe time?).

Currently at the house, I use a Polaris Ranger with a tow behind mower to keep the grass and weeds down. I also have a snow plow for it and I use that to plow the driveway (About 100 yards). It works great for both applications. In addition, I use the Ranger to tow my wood chipper and small utility trailer when I am out working in the yard.

I am the caretaker for our part time neighbor's place, which is 8-1/2 acres. He has allowed me the unlimited use of his Kubota L4400 tractor, which is outfitted with an FEL, a set of quick attach pallet forks, a backhoe and a brush hog.

In addition to our property here, we have a 140 acre piece of undeveloped ranch land that I use for hunting and ATV riding. It is about an hour from the house. There are two sections of roadway (Easements) on this land that I need to maintain, so a box blade would be something I would need to be able to run with whatever tractor I choose. I also want add about a mile+ of roadway with the box blade so I can easily get around to various sections of our property.

We plan on eventually putting a hunting shack out at the ranch so, in addition to road maintenance, the tractor would be used for mowing around the ranch house.

We live in a remote area in the mountains of New Mexico and nearest town with tractor dealerships (JD and Kubota) is about an hour and a half down the hill from us. Because of my experience with my neighbor's L4401, I have been looking at the Kubota L4701 or the MX4800 and they are pretty pricey.

I guess the first question I need answered is how big a tractor do I need to effectively run a box blade out at my ranch for road grading and maintenance? Is the L4701 or MX4800 overkill? Can I get away with a smaller (And less expensive) tractor.....say an L2501?

If I went with a smaller tractor, I could afford the backhoe and other implements (Box blade, pallet forks and 3 point hitch). I might be able to borrow my neighbor's attachments (Pallet forks and brush hog) until I could afford my own, so that could be a factor in what I could afford right off the bat.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
How much time do you have on your hands? You can get by with a smaller tractor but it will take extra time to get things done.... and it seems you have lots of projects to do. As much as I think L2501 is a good tractor, you might want bigger...

PS, after using your neighbor's L4400... the L2501 will definitely feel small!!
I am retired, so getting things done in a hurry is not an issue for me. I know The rule is to get the biggest tractor I can afford. I was just wondering if the L2501 would be sufficient for my needs.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
One plus for the 2501 would be easier hauling from your house to your ranch land. I chose a 2501, and one of the major deciding factors, because it would be easier to haul from my 11 acre home place to my 165 acre farm place 200 miles away. Sure a much bigger tractor would be nice, but in my case, if I had to buy a bigger truck, trailer, plus the extra tractor/implement cost it became non doable. What I found it is much cheaper, quicker, and easier just to hire out the big stuff. A dozer operator, for example, can do a ton of stuff in a short amount of time and it won't cost much. So keep that in mind.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
I have an L2800 HST which actually has a smaller engine than the L2501 (mine runs @ high rpm's). I prefer smaller to leave yourself spending cash for implements, as long as you are not in a business or need to get things done fast!

(but you really have a lot of land to work on :D, I would price out a L3901)
The road and mowing work out at the ranch would be minimal and would probably be a once or twice a year deal. I agree, a smaller rig would cost less and allow me to get more implements.

One plus for the 2501 would be easier hauling from your house to your ranch land. I chose a 2501, and one of the major deciding factors, because it would be easier to haul from my 11 acre home place to my 165 acre farm place 200 miles away. Sure a much bigger tractor would be nice, but in my case, if I had to buy a bigger truck, trailer, plus the extra tractor/implement cost it became non doable. What I found it is much cheaper, quicker, and easier just to hire out the big stuff. A dozer operator, for example, can do a ton of stuff in a short amount of time and it won't cost much. So keep that in mind.
At this point I am looking at either an L2501 or L3301 (Depending on how the finances play out). Right now I have a 1/2 ton Dodge truck. From what I have read, this is really too small to safely tow a tractor around, so I foresee a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in future.

I like the idea of having a dozer some in and maybe put in the roads for me. Then I would only have to concern myself with road maintenance and some mowing around the hunting shack when it gets built.....

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8

I have the L2501. I am using it for many similar job, and I can say it is a nice blend of power and size, with maneuverability and agility. It is border-line low impact on the soil if you use your head about conditions, and travel ways. It is capable of pulling a 66” box, which covers most two lane roads in 3 passes. I have put in a driveway, and fixed a road with it, and it is perfect for maintaining a road. At any rate, this was the biggest tractor I could afford, but I am not sure a larger machine would help on my property. To me, it’s a lot better than no tractor, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado

I have the L2501. I am using it for many similar job, and I can say it is a nice blend of power and size, with maneuverability and agility. It is border-line low impact on the soil if you use your head about conditions, and travel ways. It is capable of pulling a 66” box, which covers most two lane roads in 3 passes. I have put in a driveway, and fixed a road with it, and it is perfect for maintaining a road. At any rate, this was the biggest tractor I could afford, but I am not sure a larger machine would help on my property. To me, it’s a lot better than no tractor, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.....I am trying to balance the most I can get with the approval of the "Minister of Finance"....

If I choose a L2501, I think I could get a lot of extras with it. My main concern is if it will handle the box blading tasks that I have in mind as that would be the heaviest chore it would be called upon to do....

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
If I choose a L2501, I think I could get a lot of extras with it. My main concern is if it will handle the box blading tasks that I have in mind as that would be the heaviest chore it would be called upon to do....
The L2501 and L3301 should handle the same size box blade. You will find that you will loose traction (Tractor not heavy enough) before you will loose power. I think these would both be rated for the same size box blade. only advantage of the 3301 would be a few extra PTO HP. I'm a fan of the 2501 for the no DPF, I think that's a huge advantage and worth giving up a few PTO HP. Loader and BH are the same on the L2501 and L3301

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Thankyou both for the info on the DPF. That is something I haven’t considered. I just finished reading the excellent post on the forum by Sheepfarmer on dealing with the DPF. While he makes it seem that it is not a huge deal, I can see how not having to worry about it would be a plus on the side of getting the L2501.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I bought an L2501 two years ago just because I did not want to chance problems with a DPF down the road. I have not regretted the decision. The L2501 has maintained my 34 acres very well and I have no worries about something going wrong with the DPF.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Thanks for the input....At this point it appears that the L2501 would be sufficient for my needs. I like the fact that it doesn't have the DPT and the lower price would allow me to get more attachments.....:)

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Learned to ski at Ruidoso, NM... back in the early '80's. Bach when Ski Apache was called Sierra Blanca! Nice area...
It is very pretty country up this way. Ski Apache is still a big draw for folks. We feel so fortunate to live here……:)