Will 3 cycl start w/o glow plugs?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Never used glow plugs on my old 245dt until it got below 40 deg.

E/S

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Maybe more exacting background info would be best, then maybe rephrase your question. So, your trying to troubleshoot why this tractor will not start. Are you using the glow plugs to attempt a start? do you know the condition of the fuel, new or old? ect, etc.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Hers's what I know
Tractor started last year but got harder and harder to start. Fuel, oil and air filter have about 6 hours on them. I changed them thinking one would explain harder starting. Didn't.
Using last year's fuel. I assume that I need to drain it all, bleed lines and change fuel filter to correctly rule out fuel issue. Haven't don ethat yet.
Thought it might be glow plugs as indicator light won't light. Tested with meter by placing negative lead to neg on battery and touching plugs with pos- got same reading as battery. Since learned that way might not give me accurate reading and I should try low voltage. So i set multimeter for lowest which was 20 ohms (dial showed a 1) - put pos lead to pos and touched plugs with neg - nothing, stayed as a 1. I reversed with pos on battery pos and touched with neg and got 0.00

Kind of where I am at right now.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Did you bleed the air out of the fuel lines after draining all the fuel and crack the injectors to bleed the air out?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am not sure if you did not describe your testing of the glow plugs correctly or if you made a mistake. You talk of setting the meter to low voltage then using an ohm setting. An ohm test is done without power going to the system, it measures the resistance of the circuit not the voltage. Yes you should check the resistance of each glow plug individually (disconnect then from the wires).
I can't remember off my head what the resistance reading should be. I have it written down at home. I will try a search after I post and add if I can find it easily.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Honestly, I haven't a clue about what I am doing but i did not disconnect the plugs from the wiring. I am doing whatever I read about or is suggested. However, many suggestions tend to come presupposing that I have a clue. LOL.
Any help you can offer would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

z751-hy

Equipment
L-1511
Dec 28, 2012
FredericksburgVA
I have a 2cyl z751 diesel. I made an electrical print. I measure 1.0 ohms from glow indicator to ground. That goes thru 2 plugs in parallel, so I induce that each plug is about 2.0 ohms.
You don't need a great VOM, just a cheapo HbFreight $3 digitalVOM. On the lowest scale, short the leads together, firmly. Should get about 0.6 ohm, and whatever that measure is like a tare weight. More difficult is getting the probe on a known good ground (battery neg easiest), and on a glow plug terminal. Mine are painted, so scrape off some paint. Subtract the "tare" (0.6ohms?) from the measure, and multiply the remainder by no. of plugs. If all plugs are good, that is the answer per plug. If you measurement is not reasonable, then you will have to electrically disconnect them from eachother, and measure each one.

The OEM print was for a z751a in the L185. I have a z751-HY (gray) on a L1511. The OEM print showed the plugs in series, and I can't remember if I recalculated after I found that they are actually wired in parallel. I did measure 1.0 ohm, so each plug must be 2.0 ohms, and my attached print needs to be corrected. I think the OEM print has got to be wrong. It would be difficult to wire plugs in series, and I see no advantage of doing so, unless engineering wanted to prevent one starting with one plug electrically open.

Attachments

Last edited:

coralhead

Equipment
B7100HST
Dec 29, 2012
S Indiana
I have a 2cyl z751 diesel. I made an electrical print. I measure 1.0 ohms from glow indicator to ground. That goes thru 2 plugs in parallel, so I induce that each plug is about 2.0 ohms.
You don't need a great VOM, just a cheapo HbFreight $3 digitalVOM. On the lowest scale, short the leads together, firmly. Should get about 0.6 ohm, and whatever that measure is like a tare weight. More difficult is getting the probe on a known good ground (battery neg easiest), and on a glow plug terminal. Mine are painted, so scrape off some paint. Subtract the "tare" (0.6ohms?) from the measure, and multiply the remainder by no. of plugs. If all plugs are good, that is the answer per plug. If you measurement is not reasonable, then you will have to electrically disconnect them from eachother, and measure each one.

The OEM print was for a z751a in the L185. I have a z751-HY (gray) on a L1511. The OEM print showed the plugs in series, and I can't remember if I recalculated after I found that they are actually wired in parallel. I did measure 1.0 ohm, so each plug must be 2.0 ohms, and my attached print needs to be corrected. I think the OEM print has got to be wrong. It would be difficult to wire plugs in series, and I see no advantage of doing so, unless engineering wanted to prevent one starting with one plug electrically open.
The attached print shows the plugs wired in parallel.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Niether of the two Kubota engines that I have will start without glow plugs, initially, even in warm weather. They both start every time, and the sequence is the same in warm or cold, and they both run well with no blowby. But, I have to use glow plugs to get them to start. On my B7100, if it has cooled down for an hour or two, I might still have to hit the plugs to get it started quickly.
That being said, as you troubleshoot your initial condition, glow plugs are a good place to start.

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
I have a question... wouldnt it be worse on the engine (or starter anyway)
to start a diesel without using the glow plugs?

My L245DT is a little cold natured (even in Texas), but I use the glow plugs to make it "fire off" sooner. I even used the compression relief for the first time, after it had been sitting for a while, worked like a DREAM.

I'm just adding "my" comment, and hope we are ALL able to enjoy the ORANGE power.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
wouldnt it be worse on the engine (or starter anyway)
to start a diesel without using the glow plugs?
That has always been my opinion.