Why no Front Mount Mower ?

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I have often wondered why there isn't a front mount mower attachment available for the Kubota Quick Hitch System as is used on the B series Kubota tractor ?
Snow blowers and a rotary broom are PTO powered and available for the Quick Hitch System.

It seems the Quick Hitch System would be able to lift a mower for transport purposes, as it can lift a heavy FM snow blower with no issues.
IMHO a Front Mount Mowers would be easier to install than MMM.
Grass would not be packed down by the tractors tires prior to mowing as with the MMM or RMM.

Front Mount Mower decks on tractors like Ventrac also have a flip up feature for easier cleaning and blade maintenance, as can be seen in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVQqE9y4jg
It seems the benefits of a FMM would far out weigh any negative issues.
Are there any negative issues ?

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have often wondered why there isn't a front mount mower attachment available for the Kubota Quick Hitch System as is used on the B series Kubota tractor ?
Snow blowers and a rotary broom are PTO powered and available for the Quick Hitch System.

It seems the Quick Hitch System would be able to lift a mower for transport purposes, as it can lift a heavy FM snow blower with no issues.
IMHO a Front Mount Mowers would be easier to install than MMM.
Grass would not be packed down by the tractors tires prior to mowing as with the MMM or RMM.

Front Mount Mower decks on tractors like Ventrac also have a flip up feature for easier cleaning and blade maintenance, as can be seen in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVQqE9y4jg
It seems the benefits of a FMM would far out weigh any negative issues.
Are there any negative issues ?
Many years ago I modified a CASE 446 midmount mower to be a frontmount and drove it with the hydraulics. the hydraulics weren't quite up to it but otherwise it worked well. I have a 60" rear finishing mower that I have often considered mounting on the front of my BX24d. I'm sure it would work OK though probably not as well as a "F" tractor. I have a cushman 72" front drive mower so the motivation isn't really there.

zin01

Sep 8, 2016
Royse City
That would be pretty cool. The only issue I could see is the weight on the front axel and maybe it would drive a little funny steering with the front tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
Many years ago I modified a CASE 446 midmount mower to be a frontmount and drove it with the hydraulics. the hydraulics weren't quite up to it but otherwise it worked well. I have a 60" rear finishing mower that I have often considered mounting on the front of my BX24d. I'm sure it would work OK though probably not as well as a "F" tractor. I have a cushman 72" front drive mower so the motivation isn't really there.
I really like front mount mowers concept and have a Husqvarna R322T lawn mower that has the articulating steering and front mount mower.
Have got a Rear Mount Mower for my Kubota B7800 but really wish a front mount mower were an available option.

That would be pretty cool. The only issue I could see is the weight on the front axel and maybe it would drive a little funny steering with the front tires.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking a front mount mower deck and a front mount snow blower in the transport position, would add a similar amount of weight to the front axle. If someone felt there might be too much front axle weight, placing a ballast box on the 3 point could help relieve any any additional front axle stress.

I hadn't thought about the possible steering affects, but as long as all 4 wheels on the mower could pivot, along with forward movement it seems that steering would be alright. I guess I can see that trying to steer from a stopped position, steering might become difficult or weird.

markchief

Mar 26, 2017
East Windsor CT USA
Front mounts work well on fairly flat ground but humps and hills require a 4 wheel float system that can rotate side to side w/o scalping. Running from a pto makes for a complex attachment system. Brooms and blowers don't encounter these terrain problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk