Why does my Kubota B7200 HST go slow forward but fast in reverse?

Bill Kalbo

Equipment
Kubota B7100HSD, B7200HST-D
Apr 10, 2024
Ohio
I have a B7100 HST 4X4 and, when in high gear (rabbit), it's quite quick in forward and slower in reverse. It's about half or a quarter as fast in low gear, both in forward and reverse. All normal.

I just bought a B7200 HST 4x4 and when in reverse high speed or low, it's about as fast as the 7100 in high or low. In high gear forward, it's quite slow. In low gear forward, it's a crawler.

Is there something limiting the forward pedal? It seems to go all the way to the floor. Is there a second slow speed switch that's limiting forward but not reverse? IT would appear to be a nice feature to have a super low crawl speed but I need speed.

The engine runs fine and there doesn't seem to be a brake issue, but I would think a brake problem would affect forward and reverse.

Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a B7100 HST 4X4 and, when in high gear (rabbit), it's quite quick in forward and slower in reverse. It's about half or a quarter as fast in low gear, both in forward and reverse. All normal.

I just bought a B7200 HST 4x4 and when in reverse high speed or low, it's about as fast as the 7100 in high or low. In high gear forward, it's quite slow. In low gear forward, it's a crawler.

Is there something limiting the forward pedal? It seems to go all the way to the floor. Is there a second slow speed switch that's limiting forward but not reverse? IT would appear to be a nice feature to have a super low crawl speed but I need speed.

The engine runs fine and there doesn't seem to be a brake issue, but I would think a brake problem would affect forward and reverse.

Any ideas?
No there is nothing normal that would make it slower forward than reverse.
I would start with the WSM , and looking at the linkage to the HST.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
To expand on Wolfman's comment: On the B7100 there is a bolt with locknut on the pedal arm. The WSM has a procedure to adjust the balance between forward and reverse speeds by jacking the rear wheels off the ground, setting engine RPM to 2800 and adjusting the bolt so rear wheels turn +/- 70 rpm in full reverse.

Oddly, the manual neglects to mention if this is achieved in high gear or low gear. I believe I found by experimentation that it should be in high gear.

IF the B7200 is similar, and IF the B7200 manual has the same omission, and IF someone performed the procedure in low gear, then the balance will be shifted towards higher speed in reverse and lower speed in forward.

Reactions: 1 users