Whistling

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Whistling is about the best way I can describe the noise. I started my tractor yesterday and at higher rpm's it would make this whistling noise. Some times it became quite loud. I'm coming up on my 400 hour maintenance shortly.

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
Any idea where it is coming from? Could be a bearing going dry, might be able to save it. Just a thought. joe

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I've heard loose vacuum lines cause noise, but don't know if diesels have vacuum lines. Loose intake manifold also, but they don't have that either. Maybe the air intake system ???:rolleyes:

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
According to tractordata.com, it has a turbo. Could the turbo whistle be what you are hearing?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I've had the tractor for a year and never heard the noise until
just the other day. Today I went ahead and changed the air
filter a little early. The old filter was relatively loose. The new
filter was a very tight fit. I continued to inspect and clean and
found a nut missing from what I think is the turbo inlet. My question
is and I believe I already know the answer is should I change the
gasket and if so, what kind of sealer should I use or since it just
Started, could I just replace the nut????

Attachments

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Could I simply take another nut off and take it to the hardware store. Or should I try and get the part number??

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Check all the turbo boot clamps between the turbo and the intake on the pressure side of the turbo, sounds like one of those could be loose causing it to whistle, if the exhaust gasket in the pic is leaking it can cause a noise too but it looks like it is not leaking or sooty but still need to get it fixed before it does create an issue.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Could I simply take another nut off and take it to the hardware store. Or should I try and get the part number??
Are you sure it is not a bolt that threads in from the other side? Looking at the picture a bity closer that is how it appears so there would be no issue other than that if it is a stud it looks to be broke off and or stripped as it is not as long as the others. By bet is it is a bolt threaded in from the other side, take a closer look to confirm.

If it is a missing nut get it from a dealer, exhaust hardware has a special coating and is of a different alloy than standard hardware to prevent breakage and corrosion due to the heat and expansion contraction.

Last edited:

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Whistling is about the best way I can describe the noise. I started my tractor yesterday and at higher rpm's it would make this whistling noise. Some times it became quite loud. I'm coming up on my 400 hour maintenance shortly.
Josef,

Some of the Kubotas have an actual whistle on the end of the radiator overflow to let you know you are overheating.

We lived in Victoria, TX years ago. Great town.

Clay

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Are you sure it is not a bolt that threads in from the other side? Looking at the picture a bity closer that is how it appears so there would be no issue other than that if it is a stud it looks to be broke off and or stripped as it is not as long as the others. By bet is it is a bolt threaded in from the other side, take a closer look to confirm.

If it is a missing nut get it from a dealer, exhaust hardware has a special coating and is of a different alloy than standard hardware to prevent breakage and corrosion due to the heat and expansion contraction.
With a flashlight and best glasses I discovered you were very right it was a bolt from the other direction. I preceeded to tighten all the clamps I could reach, several were put on backwards which I can not do anything about. When I increased the rpms to over 2,000 it started whistling. It would come and go. My son comes down on weekends to help out and the 1st thing he did is ask about the whistling. Some times I would think it had gone away and then it would start again Best I can figure is that it is coming from the left side of the engine turbo area.

Can I use it or do I need to take it in. Is there a simple way to check for air leaks???

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
You can take the pressure hose off the turbo and rig up some pvc fittings to fit the hose directly off the turbo to the engine and with an air regulator you can pressurize the intake system and check for leaks that way too. Another thing to check is the band clamp that mounts the intake side turbo housing to the center cartridge as well as the hoses and then the intake manifold gaskets themselves. Not sure if that model has an after cooler or not but if it does make sure to check all the hoses and connections to and from that into the intake.

Spectre381

Equipment
Kubota B2650, LA534 FEL, SGC0660 Grapple, 42" forks, ballast box, ratchet rake
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Josef,

Some of the Kubotas have an actual whistle on the end of the radiator overflow to let you know you are overheating.

We lived in Victoria, TX years ago. Great town.

Clay

Momentary hijack - we lived in Victoria, TX too for several years after I retired. And I actually spent most of my growing up years just a few miles from there. Interesting because at least 3 of us on here have spent time there and we're not talking about a major metropolitan area! Done with hijack... [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's no nut missing. That's the end of the BOLT threads. There's 2 nuts on the other mounting points but the one that's "missing a nut" is a bolt that's threaded in, no nut.

Whistle could be many things from exhaust leak to intake leak, etc. The turbo's on these tractors aren't very loud even with NO exhaust on them, and no air filter. Barely hear them, except at idle speed. At 2000+ RPM, they're so high pitched that our ears can't pick it up. That turbo spins at ridiculous speeds-IIRC, around 200,000 RPM max. BUT if there was a problem with the turbo itself-e.g. failed journal bearing, it's possible that one of the wheels, either the compressor wheel or the turbine wheel, could be hitting it's housing-causing some noise. Not very likely but possible.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I had noticed and then my son pointed out to me that
The tractor hadn't done a regeneration cycle In a while.
I was moving some dirt around yesterday and the tractor
started a regeneration cycle and by the time the cycle
Was complete, the whistling totally went away.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Momentary hijack - we lived in Victoria, TX too for several years after I retired. And I actually spent most of my growing up years just a few miles from there. Interesting because at least 3 of us on here have spent time there and we're not talking about a major metropolitan area! Done with hijack... [emoji4]

Ever hear of the halepaska bakery in Victoria tx???

Spectre381

Equipment
Kubota B2650, LA534 FEL, SGC0660 Grapple, 42" forks, ballast box, ratchet rake
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Ever hear of the halepaska bakery in Victoria tx???

Of course! Everyone knows that's the place to go if you need baked goods (cakes, etc.). Got birthday cakes for my kids from there several times and lived just down the road from their location.