Which trailer to get for a bx25d

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I have a great Big Tex 12 foot trailer, single axle. Or course when i bought our BX25 it didnt fit well, and the trailer couldn't handle the weight.

So I knew rather than renting a uhaul trailer out each time we want to move the kubota it was time for a bigger trailer.

Dual axle with brakes and 16 foot looks perfect. One popped up in my area for $1,700

One like this with split gate

But then I see a smaller equipment trailer pop up for $1,200. This one is 12 foot deck, looks like the bucket can go down and tie down up front and if need be the backhoe could hang out some if room was needed.

We will be keeping our 12 foot big tex trailer. So from a standpoint of just for the kubota - which is the better type trailer to tow it around now and then?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Despite the $500 more - I would go with option "A" - even if hauling the Bx is all you want to do, that is a better trailer considering ALL THE OTHER things it can do !

Take a 2x12 and place it inside the trailers tailgate - see attached picture. Yes it makes the gate a little heavy, but damn it is worth it - the front tires hit the ramp and nothing moves, the 2 x 12 is bolted in at top, bottom and a strap across the middle.

I also used 2 x 12 on the side walls too, I haul my BX and B series, not to mention 3000 lbs of mulch or gravel.

Once you get your trailer - make several places for bolt down places for chains/straps use D ring tie downs. Make sure you get a piece of metal on those pass through holes.

Also notice that a couple of pieces left over are used for trailer supports - take one and T it into the other, make a large upside down T. When the load hits the gate, they act like legs and support the trailer - and not over load the ball and hitch of the tow vehicle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-forged-cargo-d-ring-anchor-60323.html

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
After having several different trailers over the years I'm with 85Hokie, go with the 16'.

Even though it's more money I would suggest getting one made out of square tubing instead of angle iron. Much more rigid and it will tow better. I would also make sure it has breaks on both axles. If you have to settle for a single brake trailer make sure the brakes are on the back axle. Ones with only front axle brakes tend to slide much worse than ones with rear axle brakes. I would also want a treated floor. If not you'll be putting a floor in it after just a few years. Ramps with the lower braces for loading would be a plus and make it much easier and safer on your tow vehicle. Although it's overkill for a BX 5200 lb axles will be more stable, especially if you use the trailer for other task.

My advise is spend a little extra now and get the right trailer the first time. I'm on my 5th now and while my current does a good job I wish it was heavier. For $500 more I could have got a 22' with 7K axles instead of a 20' with 6K. At the time the 20' was a nice upgrade but now bigger would be better. I'll probably keep the one I have now but for some reason I see a goose neck in my future.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Ill agree with the larger trailer. It has so many more uses. I tow my off road rig around for work on mine, so I use it a lot for other things also. I usually have it loaded with lumber for projects etc. even though the equipment trailer is heavier duty, its pretty short. That's more of a dedicated bobcat trailer.
Which ever trailer you get, spend a little more and get the best tires you can, if there's an option. The BX isn't that heavy, but you never want a blow out on your trailer

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Thanks guys!

Since I was keeping my 7x12 big tex trailer for normal trailer stuff I wasn't sure which i should pick.

Now I lean towards the 6x16 dual axle after reading your guys posts.

Of course I would really like a dump with ramps that can fit the bx25 - but now we are talking $5k (used) or so and I already spent way too much on goodies for the BX, money is a bit tight for a while

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bought a Down to Earth brand trailer, 20' deck, 2' dovetail, 5' channel ramps, 2 6K axles with brakes on both, 6" channel frame and as a bonus it was Kubota orange. Paid $2800 new price