Which style of chain on BX25D with R4's

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
Which style of chain should I buy for my BX25D with R4/Industrial tires?

Normal Ladder style Or the diamond style like this that sits on top the lugs?

Ive had ladder style before on turf tires but never on a set of industrial R4's or on AG R1's. I hear they fall between the tread lugs and aren't as effective. Open to stories, pictures, and suggestions.

Ill post pics of both below.

Im also running these on a Bx25D without wheel spacers. I hear it will work, just a tight fit. Anyone care to comment on that too?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What do you need them for?
If it's snow either will work, if it's forest / woods work, diamonds are the best

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
im trying to get more traction in general. I will use them in snow when we get it but I also cut my pasture with my BX and the industrial tires don't seem to have the traction my last BX had with Bar/AG/R1 tires. I especially noticed it when side cutting my hillside, felt like it slipped sideways a little bit. It could be my imagination though. So basically they will be used in many different area's. I thought ladders were the only option out there and to be honest worried about them falling inbetween the tread bars but then I saw the others ones on tirechairs.com and when I saw the picture of them on BX R4's I started thinking they might be the best option.... just wanted opinions before placing my order since they are more expensive and every other machine I ever used chains on had turf tires with ladder style.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
The ladder style work nice for snow and ice on R4 tires.

Had the BX for a year. Ordered rear 2 link ladder chains this fall, just in case. Have not needed the chains until storm few days ago. Just the right (wrong) conditions put a glaze on the driveway under 6-8" of snow. My driveway has a steep hill down to the road. After first pass down the hill I could not drive back up. Not a fun feeling have the tractor gliding down the hill towards traffic. Had to throw down a lot of sand to get up the hill. Once on put on the chains had no problem going up and down the hill.

Delayed putting on chains because of worry about damage to yard before it froze up. Ended up putting chains on for first time in the snow at night. Have ordered front chains also.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ladder style - but you want the 2-link version, not 4-link.

Keep 'em tight - no sweat without spacers.

Attachments

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
thanks for the response gang. Kinda shocks me that No one thinks the diamond style sitting on top of the R4's is the way to go... Ive used 2 link ladder style in the past on my garden tractors and mowers and they are awesome but its always been on turf tires. RCW it looks a little like they are between your tread bars in the pic.... you still get that much improvement with them over normal like that?? U also so no spacers/no problem so tahts good. do you have a standard bx or a bx with bachhoe subframe?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have 2 link ladder chains on my Bobcat with R4's and while some of the links do end up between the treads most are on top and still provide a lot of traction.

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
The ladder style work nice for snow and ice on R4 tires.

Had the BX for a year. Ordered rear 2 link ladder chains this fall, just in case. Have not needed the chains until storm few days ago. Just the right (wrong) conditions put a glaze on the driveway under 6-8" of snow. My driveway has a steep hill down to the road. After first pass down the hill I could not drive back up. Not a fun feeling have the tractor gliding down the hill towards traffic. Had to throw down a lot of sand to get up the hill. Once on put on the chains had no problem going up and down the hill.

Delayed putting on chains because of worry about damage to yard before it froze up. Ended up putting chains on for first time in the snow at night. Have ordered front chains also.
Howling, do you mind posting the make/model/part number for the chains you went with? I have a similar situation, except downhill on my driveway doesn't go into traffic. It ends on a steep drop off. This is my first winter with my BX. We've not had any snow to speak of yet in Northern Virginia, but I'd rather be prepared. Thanks.

Sent from my phone

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Howling, do you mind posting the make/model/part number for the chains you went with? I have a similar situation, except downhill on my driveway doesn't go into traffic. It ends on a steep drop off. This is my first winter with my BX. We've not had any snow to speak of yet in Northern Virginia, but I'd rather be prepared. Thanks.

Sent from my phone
They are 2 link ladder chains. I ordered them from Amazon Chains and tigheners

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I have 2 link ladder chains on my Bobcat with R4's and while some of the links do end up between the treads most are on top and still provide a lot of traction.
Thanks for the info. You mentioned earlier the diamond patterns are good for woods work. Do you know why they are better for that than 2 link spacing ladder? The first ive ever seen of them was when I started searching recently. For mowing sidehill and traction which would work best do you think?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Diamond pattern spiked chains are super aggressive and will tear up a hill that you are mowing.
They are better for logging work, and woods work where it is wet matted mass.

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
they make the same design chain with out the studs. Would the diamond pattern be of benefit over the ladder style if they lacked the aggressive spikes?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For side slippage yes they are better than ladder chains, But if it's that steep that your slipping, stopping it from slipping might cause it to roll, just keep that in mind. ;)

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
For side slippage yes they are better than ladder chains, But if it's that steep that your slipping, stopping it from slipping might cause it to roll, just keep that in mind. ;)
thanks, that's a good point. Its not bad, my tires are filled and she is pretty stable but I have a couple tree's on the slope and when I go down around then and start to come back up I spin almost every time, there is also a few spots that just don't feel as secure as when I had my bar tires. I think I might try these diamond type and see how they do.. I really like that they sit on top the tread bars of the R4's. I think that would be of benefit....