Which spreader do I need?

Hydro556

Mar 12, 2018
Mo
Trying to figure out the proper solution for my needs.

We own 10 acres. 2 acres currently horse pasture with another half acre I'm about to fence in.

5.0 acres on the nose is lawn that I mow.

I mow with a Scag zero turn, and own a Kubota L2501 as well as a Kawasaki Mule Pro.

My needs are as follows.

I need to fertilize all 8 or so acres at various application rates, per my recent soil sample.

But the pasture I need to completely reseed.

I was considering a LP 3 point Spreader, about $850. But that just seems inefficient. Why slowly drive the heavy tractor all over the lawn? Would rather mount a 12v spreader on the Mule or the Scag. Lighter and faster, just more efficient.

That brought me to maybe buying a Herd spreader, 12v, to mount to the Mule.

But I'm still not sure what the right answer is. The Herd, with the ~175# capacity, the model is escaping me, is going to be $800 or so by the time I buy the mount.

I noticed that Fimco offers a utv mounted spreader that can be had for around $350 including a variable speed control.

Sorry, just getting a bit of analysis paralysis. Thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can get a pretty good 3 pt. spreader for $500. Fertilizing 8 acres will take maybe 2 hr, done once a year.

You also mention soil samples suggest various application rates. Unless one is really anal dividing up 8 acres to various applications is almost foolish. Which ever is the heaviest application, apply to it all. It will be less cost and less time.

Your L2501 is not going to do any compacting or damage to your lawn unless you are on it when it's wet, I would go with the 3 pt setup.

If funds are not an obstacle and you want 12 volt spreader, here's one at $1500. Most 12V have smaller volume for product, so you have to fill more frequently.

https://www.amleo.com/earthway-250-lb-12-volt-spreader/p/M80ECM/

I use an L4240 on my front yard for various chores, but my wife does all the cutting with her Grasshopper zero turn. The tractor has R4 tires and does no damage to HER lawn, or I would be on restriction!!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You can get a pretty good 3 pt. spreader for $500. Fertilizing 8 acres will take maybe 2 hr, done once a year.

You also mention soil samples suggest various application rates. Unless one is really anal dividing up 8 acres to various applications is almost foolish. Which ever is the heaviest application, apply to it all. It will be less cost and less time.

Your L2501 is not going to do any compacting or damage to your lawn unless you are on it when it's wet, I would go with the 3 pt setup.

If funds are not an obstacle and you want 12 volt spreader, here's one at $1500. Most 12V have smaller volume for product, so you have to fill more frequently.

https://www.amleo.com/earthway-250-lb-12-volt-spreader/p/M80ECM/

I use an L4240 on my front yard for various chores, but my wife does all the cutting with her Grasshopper zero turn. The tractor has R4 tires and does no damage to HER lawn, or I would be on restriction!!

What I use on my hay fields and lawn both. Got mine from ASC and it was a bit cheaper (shipping included). I mix my seed in with granular fertilizer (I apply granulated Urea most times 46% granulated) and then use a Fuerst tine harrow to set the seed. Been doing that for years now. I also have a 250 gallon 3 point mounted Fimco I apply liquid fertilizer with between cuts.

I'd get the 3 point spreader like is pictured in D2's post. They work well, minimal upkeep and easy to put on.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a seeder/spreader similar to this one. I bought it at a farm sale for $9 -15 years ago. Did a bit of work to it because it was designed for a 2pt tractor hook up and I made it 3 pt. Used a automotive radiator hose for the PTO shaft. It holds 175# of glandular fertilizer easily.