Which implement for weed knock down

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
What implement would be best for knocking down weeds in rocky soil. I want to knock down weeds for fire prevention. Most of the rocks in the field are softball size. I don't think a rotary mower would work. How about a flail mower? Or a disc with no weight on it. I don't need to till it in, just knock down the weeds. I have been using a hand-held string trimmer but we are talking about three acres.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
Maybe some sort of commercial drag screen or piece of chain link would pass over the weeds enough to knock them down & not get hung up on rocks if they are on surface. If the rocks are embedded in the soil with sharp edges will most likely hang.

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
I would like to knock it down to about 5" max. The DR trimmer would be nice but it's not in the cards.

I was thinking about using my flail mower without the blades and letting the chains just slap the weeds. Has anyone ever used a flail mower this way?

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I have used 2 semi truck tires bolted together side by side and drug along with a chain like a low rent replacement for a chain drag. If the grass/weeds are particularly high or tough it may require some extra weight across the tires. About a 20 to 30 cm log about 2 meters long wired across the tires helps. It may take more than one pass from different directions to make the result you want. This bounces over rocks and other obstacles reasonably well. It may take extra seat time which is always good and the implement is cheap.

Compact tractor or UTV pulls it easily.

Works reasonably well for breaking up and spreading cow pies and horse apples also. Good luck -eh

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What implement would be best for knocking down weeds in rocky soil. I want to knock down weeds for fire prevention. Most of the rocks in the field are softball size. I don't think a rotary mower would work. How about a flail mower? Or a disc with no weight on it. I don't need to till it in, just knock down the weeds. I have been using a hand-held string trimmer but we are talking about three acres.
Yep a flail would work the best. ;)

Retriever Believer

Equipment
L3600GST w/FEL & box
Jun 27, 2016
Redding
Yes, no burning. I have to do whatever I am going to do while the weeds are still green.

Thanks for all your help. I'll probably do something with the flail mower.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
May be another no-no in your location but, what about chemical control using a glyphosate since you are going after them while green?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We've had this situation come up before. Sheepfarmer has a rental program. Contact her and determine how many head per acre required for standing grass. If shipping is too much, maybe she'll sell some so you'll have some for next year. Or YOU can rent them to your neighbors!!:D:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
D2 is actually serious about everything except it being MY sheep :D:D See if there is someone in your area rotating a group of sheep around. Portable electric fence, a tub of water and about 15 sheep for a week or so would take care of your grass and weeds until it rains again. Or 2 sheep of your own year round, but you'd have to feed hay part of the year.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Shoot they would probably bust him for methane exhaust contributing to global warming, or waste run off, or animal cruelty, because they are penned up and not able to run free, or noise pollination from the bawling of the sheep. :D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are propane burners that can be used to kill weeds they are effective but slow. Weed Dragon is one brand (Yes I think their name needs to be changed!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk