Which grapple for M7060

gomer pyle

Equipment
M7060HD12
Nov 22, 2018
Tennessee
I’m located in middle TN and recently purchased 20 acres and half of it is grown up in buck bushes and bodocks. Can anyone recommend a grapple to rip out the buck bushes and help pile brush to burn that will fit my tractor?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you already have 3rd function on the FEL?

I went with the LandPride SGC1572. Expensive but got it with my tractor. It is awesome. The rake style allows you to double it as a landscape rake in lots of situations, so you can rake up brush and debris easily. I see lots with the longer straight tine grapples as well.

gomer pyle

Equipment
M7060HD12
Nov 22, 2018
Tennessee
Do you already have 3rd function on the FEL?

I went with the LandPride SGC1572. Expensive but got it with my tractor. It is awesome. The rake style allows you to double it as a landscape rake in lots of situations, so you can rake up brush and debris easily. I see lots with the longer straight tine grapples as well.
No, I don’t have the third function yet. I’m trying to decide rather I want third function or to run hoses to my rear remotes. I think I’ll like third better with a grapple but I’ve read it will not work with a skid steer auger setup.
I have looked (on line) at the SGC1572. How does it do with ripping roots out of the ground? Do you feel limited on how much you can grab at a time with the short times? Do you mind telling me what you have for it? My dealer is closed for the rest of the week.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Simular to you, I have 20 acres that is over grown with heavy brush and small trees. I have a L3560HSDC with a Land Pride SGC1060 grapple. The Land Pride was a little cheaper and a little heavier duty than the EA 60" root rake grapple (similar style), and you can get it a lot faster. I am happy with the 60"... I think the 72" weight and extra width & tines would have loaded up the tractor more, and made it more difficult to dig down into the dirt/roots... however, that will not likely be an issue with yours. They open quit wide and can pick up a lot of brush. In fact, for what you want to do, I think this style grapple works better than the bucket style grapple because you can get down into the roots and the style allows you to clamp down on brush.

As for the 3rd function versus rear remotes - a couple of points to consider:
1. You could be real proactive and permanently run lines from the rear to the front that are well protected. But if you just run hydraulic lines to the front every time you hook up, then they are likely to get snagged and ripped off... won't be pleasant.
2. Having the third function control right on the loader control joy stick allows one handed operation while steering with the other hand. To have to stop lift and curle functions in order to open/close the grapple would be frustrating and take a lot longer. Get the third function... or I am afraid you will regret it otherwise.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
This is bolt on grapple I installed on my 4600.
I seriously looked at that bucket retrofit style grapple. But for clearing brush, being able to sink the lines into the roots and curl up to pull the roots up makes big a difference in clearing out brush (and even small trees), or even sink the tines into the roots and push forward to pull up brush - roots and all.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
How do you like the rake style?
That's what I really like about it, I can drag branches and other things as well as level out areas with the jaws wide open and then clamp everything and move it to where I want to put it. I do have a 3rd function and love that too, easy to use, right on the joy stick.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
No, I don’t have the third function yet. I’m trying to decide rather I want third function or to run hoses to my rear remotes. I think I’ll like third better with a grapple but I’ve read it will not work with a skid steer auger setup.
I have looked (on line) at the SGC1572. How does it do with ripping roots out of the ground? Do you feel limited on how much you can grab at a time with the short times? Do you mind telling me what you have for it? My dealer is closed for the rest of the week.
If you go rear remotes, make sure you have a switch on the loader control arm to actuate it. You dont want to use the normal rear remote control. I have seen people use those and it is very frustrating if both are on the right side.

I am not sure about the SS auger on your machine. On mine it would work fine.

The main thing to remember on the SGC1572 is the weight, it is 920 lbs. My FEL lift at max height is around 4000# so I didnt mind getting a heavy one.

The opening is 50 inches, so I can grab a ton of stuff. You just use it in a different way than the ones with the long bottom tines. Long bottom tines you use like a bucket. Go straight in and curl back, then close the top. Mine isnt like that. You open, curl out over the debris, FEL arms down onto debris, then close the top. It still gets everything. I doubt there is much capacity difference overall, just a different way of grabbing. Mine was $3200 I think. Pretty expensive, but it will last my lifetime. I would have bought EA as well, but they are still backed up, and about the same price.

Merca

Equipment
M7060HD
Aug 7, 2017
Shreveport, LA
I bought the 73" Dual lid EA wicked root grapple in 2017 for my M7060HD and its put up with a lot of use and abuse. It does really well with removing debris above ground and does a decent job of removing shrubs and weeds but I found its no replacement for a mini excavator or a dozer with a root rake when clearing overgrowth. In my 15 acres that was previously cut timber land I encountered so many stumps that would stop the tractor dead in its tracks and put a lot of pressure on the FEL I stopped using it as a root rake of sorts because you would either lift the whole front end of the tractor off the ground or put it in a bind when hitting something solid. It does a really good job of moving piles of debris sifting through dirt that is mixed in with the debris and moving downed trees.

Attachments

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Looks nice, congrats. Remember to keep those hydraulic hoses protected, both from debris coming into the grapple, and your SSQA curl functions. Dont want to pinch or puncture them.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I ordered a 72” Quick Claw tonight:D. It should be here in 2 weeks. Merry Christmas to me.
I don't think you'll regret it. I'm very happy with mine. The long hoses are a minor problem, I use a bungee cord to try to contain them, works ok. I also use it to pick boulders, but be careful, as all things can bend with too much pressure. I bent one and had to heat and bend it back into position. Good luck with it!

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Sounds like good advice. Do you know where I can order the black sheath that comes on factory hoses?
I bought some on ebay. I got oversize to slip over the connectors and used zip-ties to hold it on the ends.