Which Finish Mower to get

Reddragon774

Equipment
97 L3600 GST
May 26, 2011
Foristell, Missouri, St Charles
I want to get a new finish mower ......I have a L3600 GST 36hp I think....what is the biggest(wide) one that the tractor will handle??? I have a Laztec now but it's older and requires lots of maintenance .belts wheels etc...my Laztec is @ 9ft wide

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
9 foot wide on a 36hp tractor is a bit over kill and could cause damage to the tractor trying to power it. Im surprised your PTO can even power a 9 foot mower. There is a ratio of PTO hp to impliment size thats needs to be factored in. I'd say whatever mower you get go with one thats rear discharge.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm pulling a 6' bushhog finish mower with my 32 hp Kubota and in thick grass I wouldn't even think of a bigger mower. This is my 12th season with mine and other than the bushings going out in the wheels once I have had very good luck with it. I think BH makes a 92" mower but unless you keep your lawn cut short all the time I don't think I would want it on a tractor with 36hp.

Reddragon774

Equipment
97 L3600 GST
May 26, 2011
9 foot wide on a 36hp tractor is a bit over kill and could cause damage to the tractor trying to power it. Im surprised your PTO can even power a 9 foot mower. There is a ratio of PTO hp to impliment size thats needs to be factored in. I'd say whatever mower you get go with one thats rear discharge.[/QU

I've been pullin it and cutting 8@ every week for 8 0r 9 years...
I had the tractor at the dealers for a seal that was leaking...they had to break the tractor in half to fix it....while in there I told them to ck the clutch...they said it looked great

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not being a smart ass by any means but you'd probably would have saved a ton of money by not running a 9 foot mower and used one more suitable for your tractor. More then likely the 9 foot mower is what caused a seal to leak and thus the need to split the tractor to fix it. Bigger is not always better when it comes to attatchments. You must have some pretty straight and narrow level ground at your house because a mower like that behind a tractor will launch you down a hillside and theres not much you can do other then hold on and ride. It can be very dangerous.

Reddragon774

Equipment
97 L3600 GST
May 26, 2011
Not being a smart ass by any means but you'd probably would have saved a ton of money by not running a 9 foot mower and used one more suitable for your tractor. More then likely the 9 foot mower is what caused a seal to leak and thus the need to split the tractor to fix it. Bigger is not always better when it comes to attatchments. You must have some pretty straight and narrow level ground at your house because a mower like that behind a tractor will launch you down a hillside and theres not much you can do other then hold on and ride. It can be very dangerous.
the mower is what they use at golf courses and the course I got it from pulled it with a tractor about ther same size....the seal was the front drive shaft seal......dealer said he has seen several with the same problem and said it was a design flaw.....I'm just looking for a newer mower that takes less mantainance.....BTW I don't think your a smart ass......

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Meanjean, to answer your question. A rear discharge mower works better then side because the entire back of the deck is open to blow out the clippings and debris, unlike a side discharge which has only a small opening to get the crap out. Also with a side discahrge you get the windrowing effect and you leave small rows of grass clippings much like you do with a riding lawn mower.

Basically rear discharge fans the clippings out the rear and makes less of a mess when mowing.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've thought about it on my side discharge but I dont think its worth the head ache. You'd have to close off the side chute then cut the back open plus have to change the baffels under the direct the air flow and direction of the clippings.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Has anyone considered changing a side discharge into a rear discharge?
I have been thinking about changing mine to a rear discharge. Haven't made my mind up for sure yet though. It always seems to get pushed down on my list of things to do. My "want to" stuff doesn't get done until they are "need to" in most cases.